Who's planning on getting the Nokia Lumia 930?

sandeepsb

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I am considering to get Nokia 930. However recently I looked at Nokia 1520 and I noticed that it has same or superior specifications compared to Nokia 930. Given in mind that Nokia 1520 is cheaper 10-20% (maybe even more) then suggested price of Nokia 930 I am wondering why someone would pay more for less. Only drawback I see at least for me is that Nokia 1520 is a bit big for me tough even with that in mind something is not right or I am missing something.

Thanks,
N

I'm going with the 930 due to the size of the screen, I think 5" is a decent size that goes in between the tiny 4" phones and the large 6" phablets. Also I've really taken a liking to the design - I like the blocky aluminium framed build.

niki999

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm going with the 930 due to the size of the screen, I think 5" is a decent size that goes in between the tiny 4" phones and the large 6" phablets. Also I've really taken a liking to the design - I like the blocky aluminium framed build.

Hello,

I agree that Nokia 930 is great phone. As I said I am considering it to buy it but once again I am now a bit wary about that because I can not see why should I pay a premium of 100 or more Euros for basically the same phone. I prefer Nokia`s 930 screen size and i like it`s metallic case but 6" should be more expensive then 5" screen and I do not see (at least in my eyes) that metallic case should be paid that much more as all else is similar to 1520. All in all I would say that Nokia is asking 100 Euros more for better design of Nokia 930 and nothing more. Also I still think that something is wrong when you look those two phones.

Last edited:

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I can not see why should I pay a premium of 100 or more Euros for basically the same phone.

Well, truth be told, when the 1520 was launched the cost was over 600€. But the 1520 was released 6 months ago and meanwhile the price has come down. 6 months after the launch of the 930, I expect to see it retail for around 350€.

The major problem here is that THIS 930 should have been released alongside the 1520 and it wasn't. So it's already late and outdated, but they have to try and sell it for the higher possible price without going overboard (as they would go if this launched for the price the 920 did which was over 600€)

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I was really looking forward to upgrading my 920 to a 930 but was disappointed to learn that it won't be coming to the US.

It's already in the US under the name "Lumia Icon". It's only on Verizon though, so if that's not your carrier, it s*cks. But you can only really blame the way the American market works and nothing else.
Or...you could try and import one from Europe.

sandeepsb

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Really want this to come out next week as it might be "speculated" to. I'm in the middle of developing a windows phone app and using the emulator's not the best way after a while.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I am considering to get Nokia 930. However recently I looked at Nokia 1520 and I noticed that it has same or superior specifications compared to Nokia 930. Given in mind that Nokia 1520 is cheaper 10-20% (maybe even more) then suggested price of Nokia 930 I am wondering why someone would pay more for less. Only drawback I see at least for me is that Nokia 1520 is a bit big for me tough even with that in mind something is not right or I am missing something.

Thanks,
N

Because many people don't want a phone that big. But more so many 920 owners love their device and qi and this is the logical upgrade. Sure you can get a qi cover for your device but then that has to be your case and the covers are nowhere near as accurate or good than built in qi ( my wife has the qi cover for her 1020 but the damn thing has to be perfect on the pad to charge. My 920 can be sideways and still charge).

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Because many people don't want a phone that big. But more so many 920 owners love their device and qi and this is the logical upgrade. Sure you can get a qi cover for your device but then that has to be your case and the covers are nowhere near as accurate or good than built in qi ( my wife has the qi cover for her 1020 but the damn thing has to be perfect on the pad to charge. My 920 can be sideways and still charge).

Not to mention the 1020 with the Qi case feels even more uncomfortable in the hand because the case only hold to the phone by the extremities. So you feel the edge of the cover alongside the phone all the time.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
It's already in the US under the name "Lumia Icon". It's only on Verizon though, so if that's not your carrier, it s*cks. But you can only really blame the way the American market works and nothing else.
Or...you could try and import one from Europe.
The Icon I a 929, not a 930.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The Icon I a 929, not a 930.

It's exactly the same device. EXACTLY THE SAME. There's absolutely no difference. The thing is, because the US insists on this stupid "exclusive phones" model of market, carriers like to change the names. The 521 is exactly the same as the 520. They just changed the name. And the 929/Icon is the same as the 930. It was going to be called 929 because the 928 was Verizon's version of the 920 (and that one, yes, was different). Then Verizon changed the name to "Icon" because apparently Americans have a problem with Nokia's numbering system. And its international version came out as the 930 because the numbering system has worked for Nokia for decades around the World and was never a problem.

But trust me, the Icon is EXACTLY THE SAME as the 930. If I pick up a 930 and slap in it those horrible logos Verizon puts around the phone, you'll have a Icon.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Its the same, different cellular radio bands. The cyan firmware update most likely brings the dolby surround to the icon and the 1520.

niki999

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Well, truth be told, when the 1520 was launched the cost was over 600?. But the 1520 was released 6 months ago and meanwhile the price has come down. 6 months after the launch of the 930, I expect to see it retail for around 350?.

The major problem here is that THIS 930 should have been released alongside the 1520 and it wasn't. So it's already late and outdated, but they have to try and sell it for the higher possible price without going overboard (as they would go if this launched for the price the 920 did which was over 600?)

I completely agree with you but I really think that 100 Euros for design is too much. For example in my country 1520 is 430 euros so Nokia 930 should be max 480 at start (as it is supposedly new thing).

niki999

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Price in the netherlands is 505 euro ....

Here are my thoughts about price of Nokia 930

If it arrived along with 1520 then starting prices of 600 E would be ok.
As it is arriving 6 months or so later suggested price of 600 E is outrageous, 550 E is way too expensive, 505 is expensive and 480 is a little bit expensive but in current moment it is about right as it is product which is "new" (just my thoughts as none offer it at that price). Also in reality (if you look at specifications) nothing suggest that Nokia 930 should be more expensive then 1520.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
It's exactly the same device. EXACTLY THE SAME. There's absolutely no difference. The thing is, because the US insists on this stupid "exclusive phones" model of market, carriers like to change the names. The 521 is exactly the same as the 520. They just changed the name. And the 929/Icon is the same as the 930. It was going to be called 929 because the 928 was Verizon's version of the 920 (and that one, yes, was different). Then Verizon changed the name to "Icon" because apparently Americans have a problem with Nokia's numbering system. And its international version came out as the 930 because the numbering system has worked for Nokia for decades around the World and was never a problem.

But trust me, the Icon is EXACTLY THE SAME as the 930. If I pick up a 930 and slap in it those horrible logos Verizon puts around the phone, you'll have a Icon.

There is one documented difference.
"The 930 for instance, touts the Sensor Core motion processor for tracking steps and movement while sleeping, whereas the Icon and 1520 do not."

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/nokia-lumia-930-vs-nokia-lumia-1520-spec-showdown/#ixzz33CituH75

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
There is one documented difference.
"The 930 for instance, touts the Sensor Core motion processor for tracking steps and movement while sleeping, whereas the Icon and 1520 do not."

Read more: Lumia 930 vs. Lumia 1520 vs. Lumia Icon: Spec Comparison | Digital Trends

That's an insignificant feature. Far more differentiating was the Xenon flash on the 928. If that's so important to you, import the phone from Europe. Otherwise you'll have to go to Verizon. Just like Verizon customers are forced to go to AT&T to get the 1020 if they so wish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999