Who's planning on getting the Nokia Lumia 930?

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
All of you guys claiming that the 930 will be old tech when it's released have no clue. My better half just got the icon last week and I'm jealous as hell. I have the s5 right now and when you compare the two side by side the icon holds its own easily. The phone is blazing fast and IMO the snapdragon in there is already overkill. The screen is beautiful and vibrant as well. The ONLY thing my s5 has over the icon is the IR blaster, which is a godsend when your in my situation with twin 2yr olds hiding the remotes all the time. lol

Your S5 also has an SD801, removable battery (some people seem to find this important), it's water and dust resistant, shoots 4K video and most important of all: has a bloody microSD card slot. Unfortunately it's also Samsung but if you like it, great.
Yet none of that is present in the 930. Yet all the new Android phones (which ARE the competition, like it or not) sport the SD801 and a microSD slot. Those 2 things are common to ALL 2014 flagships. Except the 930.

When we say the 930 is outdated, it is when compared to the competition. The 930 is on the level of last years Sony Z1 and LG G2. Which is why the fairest price for it I've seen so far is the 499€ one with a free charger which puts it in reality with the price tag of 450€.

SpareBot

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I agree to the pricetag, but considering what you pay for last years android flagships at the monent I am having a heard time imagining me paying 400 + ? for a 930.

I would have preordered for 499 ? at launch but come July, we will see how the market regulates itself.

KPAkiller

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Microsd is not common to all flagships. iphone hasnt ever had a microsd. Will number 6? Doubtful.

Im hoping these otg storage capabilities become universal though. Just swapping out usb drives with a little cable attached to the micro usb port.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes, planning on getting it. In orange (not everyone's cup of tea, but I love me some orange) and on contract. Sadly can't afford to dump ?450+ on a phone in one go!!

I'm kinda glad I'm going from Android to Windows as a lot of the familiar complaints won't really affect me, my current phone has no removeable battery or SD card either so that stays the same, and I've never experienced Glance so I won't miss it!

As for comparisons with the S5 for example, yes it can shoot in 4k, but unless you have a 4k display to view it on; does it really matter?

I'm pretty excited at being able to record in Dolby Digital though, seems to me more people will be bale to take advantage of that than 4k media. Unless I'm the only peon on here that doesn't have a 4k tv? :amaze:

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree to the pricetag, but considering what you pay for last years android flagships at the monent I am having a heard time imagining me paying 400 + € for a 930.

I would have preordered for 499 € at launch but come July, we will see how the market regulates itself.

I totally agree with you.
I must underline that I'm getting it out of sentimental reasons: it's Nokia's last phone for the time being.
There's absolutely nothing logical in my decision to accept to give 450€ for the phone in July. And honestly I don't recommend anyone to pay that for it.

Microsd is not common to all flagships. iphone hasnt ever had a microsd. Will number 6? Doubtful.

The iPhone is ONE phone. And the iPhone is completely different. The hardware of the 5S is inferior to the Android flagships of last year (and the 6 will certainly be inferior to the Android flagships coming out for Christmas. I would add "and WP" but I'm not sure about that at all.)
But the iPhone is build around a walled garden. It's neither an example to follow nor the true competition for Windows Phone.

As for comparisons with the S5 for example, yes it can shoot in 4k, but unless you have a 4k display to view it on; does it really matter?

2 things that favour 4K shooting, both pointed out by Sony (and they're right): even if you don't have a 4K TV, you'll: 1 be future proofing your videos; 2 a 1080p video compressed from a 4K shooter is better than a natively recorded 1080p video.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
All of you guys claiming that the 930 will be old tech when it's released have no clue. My better half just got the icon last week and I'm jealous as hell. I have the s5 right now and when you compare the two side by side the icon holds its own easily. The phone is blazing fast and IMO the snapdragon in there is already overkill. The screen is beautiful and vibrant as well. The ONLY thing my s5 has over the icon is the IR blaster, which is a godsend when your in my situation with twin 2yr olds hiding the remotes all the time. lol

The whole phone tech world is overkill now.
If I was to get an android phone now i'd still probably be going for the Nexus 5 over the S5, HTC One M8 or the LG G3.
Pure Android > manufacturer bloated and skinned android IMO.
Guess what, its still a SD800 equipped device with no SD card slot. Might be the last Nexus branded phone if rumors are true.

930 vs everyone else:
the only real sticking point is the SD card slot.
-The SD801 vs SD800 could also be one, depending on how much stock you base on the numbers itself. They're more or less the same, one is just faster. Whether or not you can actually tell the difference is a different story.
-Dust/Water resistance is gimmicky and not deal breakers. (I think only the Sony is the real dust/water resistant one)
-Removable battery has become a moot argument now that portable USB chargers/battery packs exist.
-The screen is still competitive (5" 1080p, same as everyone else, maybe just a touch smaller)
-The amount of RAM is still the same (2gb)
-Camera is still around the same ballpark (S5 16mpx I think, Sony 20.7mpx, HTC 4mpx, 930 20mpx, iPhone 5s 8 or 12mpx I think)

We're reaching the saturation point faster than PC's did.....

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I think the way, Nokia is delaying, people will loose interest and this flagship device might turn out to be a BIG failure. I've been waiting for this device since its announcement. First they delay it to July. If 930 doesn't in stores before the mid of July. I will cancel my pre-order.

Br1an_g

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
first post but not a windows newbie :)
I am deffinitely getting this phone (whenever its released), its the first WP that ticks all the boxes for me having previously had old windows mobile, but most recently android.
will fit with my eco system well as i have surface, XB1, and windows laptop in the house.
just a waiting game now i suppose.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Specs aren't that important.. On android, it's really the only thing that matters, on Windows Phone it's a bit better.. iPhones are in another league, they compute completely different, the GPU does a lot more than just graphics, its ARMv8 architecture is way more powerful and the 64 bit technology isn't bad, either - but the 801 is a really small improvement over the 800, and I don't think the 805 is /that/ much better, felt advantages are only in supported resolutions and LTE cat 6 (who ever is able to use this ^^).

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
-Dust/Water resistance is gimmicky and not deal breakers. (I think only the Sony is the real dust/water resistant one)

Sony is the only one that has certified water PROOF flagship smartphones. The Galaxy S5 is only certified as water resistant.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss