Tempered glass screen protector

Techno-guy

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi Techno,

Does Fatax cover the whole screen?

No, there's about a 2mm gap on all sides but with a case, it makes little difference. See my picture above...you really can't even tell. For me, it's doing just what I want which is to provide screen scratch protection with no loss of touch capabilities.

vjvyju

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I bought the Ultimate explosion proof screen guard by VeeGee for my new Lumia 1020... The screen guard did not cover the entire front surface of my phone.. did anyone else have this problem?

mpl175

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Tempered glass screen protector is just more hard than others, which is useless, but more expensive. The normal screen protector is good enough.
It's not useless. Tempered glass screen protectors saved my screen twice. If I didn't have them on I would have had to replace my screen. Slipped out of my hand on concrete fell flat on the glass. No cracked screen because of the tempered glass. So they do work.

Korlon

May 31, 2014
Visit site
I just ordered the inskin tempered glass screen protector after months of indecision. Will post a pic and thoughts when I receive it. *fingers crossed*

Korlon

May 31, 2014
Visit site
I received my Inskin tempered glass the other day and here are some photos of how it looks.

ANTHONYSSURFACE - WIN_20141104_165600.JPGANTHONYSSURFACE - WIN_20141104_165657.JPG

PRO'S

Transparency is great, I wondered if the thickness of the glass would distort or wash out the screen image however the screen looks more vibrant with the glass than the PET material.

I *think*, and it could just be my optimism is playing with me here, but it seems the touch screen is more responsive with the glass on. Haven't had issues with phantom taps or with swiping other than with the increased sensitivity of the screen. I have to be a little more attentive as it seems to be more sensitive to initial contact. Example I'm used to my old screen protector on it so when I swipe sometimes I end up loading a tile my finger initially touches.

The glass feels terrific, so much smoother than the PET material of my old protector.

I've only ever installed 2 other screen protectors and I'm pretty clumsy at it, this went on smoothly and without bubbles. Package came with alcohol swab, microfiber cloth, a card to push any bubbles out and sticky film to remover what leftover dust particles were on the screen.

Cons:

As you can probably tell from the photos the glass is a little skewed to the right side of the phone. To fit the cut out notch at the top of the glass around the area around the front cam and light sensor it leaves the left side uncovered by about 1.5 mm as compared to the right which is exposed by about .5mm. It is a noticeable skew.

I'd prefer a hole punched out for the front facing cam and smaller notch around the ear piece and light sensor instead of the long notch the length of half the width of the screen.

*Really nitpicking now* would like to see future versions formed to accommodate the curvature of the screen. The over hang around the screen looks to be about 1mm on the left side and almost 2mm on the right and more noticeable at the corners. (Again, the glass is a little skewed to one side)

Overall I'm pretty happy with the product. This is my second screen protector for the 1520 and hopefully my last. Only thing left to do is see how this glass stands the test of time.

jontyrees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I put a tempered glass protector on mine, but unfortunately AFTER I cracked the screen. It's really there to hold things together. Nice fit though, and the edges aren't bothersome. It was $6 on ebay. I was going to slap a plastic one on there, but a repair guy recommended I use a glass one. For me, repair cost was too high for a phone that I honestly feel is too fragile to survive. First phone I ever broke, but it took one day. The touch screen is erratic now, and I don't think I can tolerate using it, so it'll be retired. Maybe put it on ebay, maybe just use it around the house as an extra tablet on wifi.

hala nasser

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
I bought mine from China directly from a manufacturer back in January. I think I may have one of first to own one as they had to design and cut from new. It has been flawless and no bubbles and looks great. It was expensive as they have proper factories , airtight labs etc and was going to distribute but could not get price down enough. It cost me around ?25 for 2 samples and dhl express delivery which took the bulk of the cost (protectors were around $6 each). Best purchase I made for phone. I guess I would stay away from ultra cheap ones
hello .. i'm wounding about the screen protector does it fit perfectly to the curved edges of lumia 1520 ? and how does it feel like it is not on ? also how can I get one ? how long it will take to arrive ?
I contacted inskin they said it will take 1-3 weeks but I found in some reviews that it does not fit to the edges ??

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I put a tempered glass protector on mine, but unfortunately AFTER I cracked the screen. It's really there to hold things together. Nice fit though, and the edges aren't bothersome. It was $6 on ebay. I was going to slap a plastic one on there, but a repair guy recommended I use a glass one. For me, repair cost was too high for a phone that I honestly feel is too fragile to survive. First phone I ever broke, but it took one day. The touch screen is erratic now, and I don't think I can tolerate using it, so it'll be retired. Maybe put it on ebay, maybe just use it around the house as an extra tablet on wifi.
Who was the seller? I couldn't find any tempered glass for the Icon.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
hello .. i'm wounding about the screen protector does it fit perfectly to the curved edges of lumia 1520 ?

No. It will not match the curve of the 1520 screen. There will be a visible ring around the edge. I've not had any problems with it lifting of conflicting with my case - although some do report problems with a case interfering. See this excellent pic from MadamImAdam reprinted from earlier in this thread...
81453d1411077383t-004.jpg

...with the screen lit you won't notice it unless you purposely look for it.

and how does it feel like it is not on ?

It is GLASS and so is your screen. To your finger it WILL feel just like your screen. Not at all like a plastic sheet. "Smooth as glass." You'll love it.

also how can I get one ? how long it will take to arrive ?
I'm not sure where you are... Check your local eBay or Amazon. Delivery times should be in the order info.

I contacted inskin they said it will take 1-3 weeks but I found in some reviews that it does not fit to the edges ??
Inskin has a good reputation so far as I know. The one I got was This One and I like that one very much. It's holding up great.

The one's that are trimmed to stop where the curve of your screen starts look like this pic from myoujin earlier in the thread...
70106d1403624695t-2014-06-24-094.jpg

...sorry, but I find that very unattractive. I'd rather have that faint ring around the screen.

nimic13

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Hello all!!,
So I really want to get a tempered glass protector for my 1520 but I'm not sure on a scale of 1-10 how much the lifted edges would bother me. I really just want one so I don't have to use my portfolio case 100% of the time but feel like if a drop were to happen i wouldn't be stuck paying 150 for insurance to replace it.

So question #1: has anyone bought/used/ tried the Nacodex 9h one on Amazon? I'd post link but because I'm new it won't let me haha. There's currently no Amazon reviews for it and it seems nice so just though ID ask.

#2: which one would you say lifts off the sides the "least" if any. And I don't want that goofy looking one with the cut in corners at the bottom. But also want maximum protection.

Let me know! All helpful feedback is appreciated!!

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Hello all!!,
So I really want to get a tempered glass protector for my 1520 but I'm not sure on a scale of 1-10 how much the lifted edges would bother me. I really just want one so I don't have to use my portfolio case 100% of the time but feel like if a drop were to happen i wouldn't be stuck paying 150 for insurance to replace it.

So question #1: has anyone bought/used/ tried the Nacodex 9h one on Amazon? I'd post link but because I'm new it won't let me haha. There's currently no Amazon reviews for it and it seems nice so just though ID ask.

#2: which one would you say lifts off the sides the "least" if any. And I don't want that goofy looking one with the cut in corners at the bottom. But also want maximum protection.

Let me know! All helpful feedback is appreciated!!

I just got a generic one off eBay, and it has the lifted edges. It seems to me the real sticking point with this phone is that the screen starts to curve before the actual display edge... in other words, there are a couple millimeters on the left and right where the lift starts. So normally they might be able to cut a protector that would be small enough to only sit on the truly flat area... but with this phone that won't work.

I used to be a fan of curved glass displays, but I like these protectors so much I really wish MS would switch to flat displays for their high end phones. The curved glass doesn't add much value, and it means that these protectors just don't fit well.

I'm leaving mine on, and will just see how it goes. My hope is that it doesn't start accumulating dirt under the lift, or peel up due to being stuck in my pocket. We'll see I guess.

​I would say for the $7 or whatever that a generic one will cost you it's worth trying it and seeing what you think. Mine looks better than the pictures, but it's clearly visible.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
So, I just bought this one off of ebay Clear 2 5D Tempered Glass LCD Screen Protector Film Fit Nokia Lumia 1520 RM 940 | eBay and it claims to have the 2.5d rounded edge which should make it fit flush on the phone. I'll let you all know how it goes when I receive it. I too had the tempered glass protector on my phone, but the slightly raised look around the edges annoyed me and I eventually took it off.

I think you're misinterpreting... they're saying the TOP of the protector has a curved edge, not the bottom. This is so as your finger swipes in from the side it moves smoothly. From what I have seen, most of the tempered glad protectors have 2.5d edges.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I was, as it only sits flush on one side due to the terrible cut of it. It has to be more aligned to the left side of the screen. IMG_0750.JPG

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's even possible to cut one perfectly for this phone... looking at where the "lift" shows on the sides of my protector, the flat portion of the screen doesn't cover the entire width of the actual display area. I think we just have to live with overhang.

The amount of precision that would be required to cut a protector on the back side to exactly match the curves of the screen makes it pretty unlikely imo.

These new protectors make me wish Nokia would stop; using curved screens... the protectors are so good I really want to use them, and for them to look nice.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I purchased the one from RPAS (Link) but I'm not completely satisfied. First, my fingers doesn't seem to glide as well compared to the gorilla glass on the phone, or even compared to the plastic film I had on the phone before. It also seems much harder to clean. I was trying to see if there is a protective film on top of the glass but there isn't.

Second, the cutout for the front camera ends up almost on top of the lens! It's noticeable on photos taken with the front camera. The glass is installed perfectly centered (was so happy with myself about that). It would have to be installed way over to the left to avoid interference with the lens. One thing I noticed is that the cutout on the one I got looks different from what is shown on the ebay page.

The only reason I haven't taken it off is because I am finally able to install a screen protector that is perfectly centered with no dust or bubbles caught in between. That has never happened before. I'm very conflicted.

View attachment 66399View attachment 66400

Thanks for the warning on the FFC, I installed mine as far as possible to the left so my case would not interfere with it. Works OK. I laid the screen protector on screen before installing it, centered and it definitely messes with the FFC, causes distortion. But I never use the front facing camera though, might use it some day and it wouldn't nice to find out it will distort your pictures the hard way. I can't imagine why they did not make the cutout a 1/16" wider and wouldn't have caused any problem.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa