Lumia 1520 vs 930

gridlocker

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I am finding it difficult to make a choice between the two. The Lumia 1520 seems to me an old gadget but funny enough has same specs like 930. I don't even like the sight of WP8 anymore (I can update to WP8.1-I know) 930 has no glance, no SD card, can't imagine losing all those features! MS is playing games with us, I need an upgrade for my 920 and MS is not helping at all!

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I can list cons of 1520 over 930:
- Bigger battery
- SD slot
- Better screen
- Support Glance
- Support Qi charge (international model)

And here're some feature that depend on your own opinion:
- Design of 930 or 1520 (IMO, 930 has better look)
- IPS or AMOLED (I prefer IPS)
- 5' screen or 6' screen
- 930 has Gorilla Glass 3 while 1520 has 2

So, in summary, unless you want the design of 930 and cannot handle the size of 1520 then 930. Otherwise, 1520 all the way...

P.S:... oops... old thread...

phonohead

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I am in the midst of considering a possible switch from my 930 to a 1520. There's just something appealing and attractive in the 1520, compared to the 930. Glance perhaps?

HyperKid

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I am in the midst of considering a possible switch from my 930 to a 1520. There's just something appealing and attractive in the 1520, compared to the 930. Glance perhaps?

In the same boat but the only thing bothers me is that next month it will be one year old phone so I am worried about the support the older phone might not get. Not the OS ones but the firmware ones.

ieiejdbx

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
IF you don't care about SDCard and Nokia Glance, I recomended you LUMIA 930, why? ALL Windows phone apps really are no created for take advantage of the 6" display .________. and a lot more don't support the 6" display of L1520

I bought my L1520 just for the camera and specs, but L930 has the same camera so... depends only if you need for than 32GB

Bugbog

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
"ALL Windows phone apps really are no created for take advantage of the 6" display"

That is not wholly true. Certain apps allow the user to configure the display and the fonts within, ereader apps like 'Readu' for instance. And certainly when using the browser in desktop-mode a larger screen would be more advantageous?

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
IF you don't care about SDCard and Nokia Glance, I recomended you LUMIA 930, why? ALL Windows phone apps really are no created for take advantage of the 6" display .________. and a lot more don't support the 6" display of L1520

I bought my L1520 just for the camera and specs, but L930 has the same camera so... depends only if you need for than 32GB

This was my initial thought when I bought the 1520. It's was the only flagship with an SD card slot that is a Windows phone. Of course the M8 came but that was after.

Opted for the 1520 because of the SD card slot although if Microsoft were to release a smaller flagship with an SD slot, I'd ditch my 1520 for it. But I'm looking at the HTC M9 right now. Rumor has it that it'll have a Windows Phone version so I'm eyeing on it just because the audio quality on HTC phones are super great.

Specs wise both phones are the same but the 930 is kind of a lot down in terms of battery life and storage.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App for Android!

Shayan Davoodi

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I mention some other differences.
930 has a AMOLED which performs a much faster response to touch commands.
1520 has a bigger camera lens resulting that you can capture from more distance with 1520 comparing to 930.
930 uses Corning gorilla glass 3 but 1520 uses older one.

and notice that you can't work with a 5" with one hand as well as a 6". So, It doesn't matter 1" difference. If you are thinking about the 5" screen just for more ease of work with one hand, don't even think about it and consider other differences.

L1520 advantages:
* More battery life >> use use and use until you are back home
* Better working experience with 6" >> having more fun with games and videos and websites and reading office files or PDF
* Support of external storage >> capture and record more but notice that there is something called "sync" that you should consider
* Glance

L930 advantages:
* Newer !
* AMOLED ( I think AMOLED is better than IPS ) >> more eye catching than IPS, Faster response, newer technology, more dens colors and f***ing deeper black :D vs more natural colors
* Gorilla glass 3 >> better protection
* Smaller and much more stylish ( I think so ) >> carry, pocket, and use more easily
* More pixel density >> sharper display colors and more eye catching
* Surely better build quality >> Al vs Plastic ( But 1520 is still nice and I like it too ) ( Al reflects heat more )

Last edited:

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking about making the switch. Today I was off the battery charger for about 6 hours and I drained 60% of my battery.... Funny thing is that I wasn't even riding my phone that hard! Cellular connection was good. Usage was normal. Maybe a full hour of screen on time. Maybe an extra 15 minutes for little things here and there? I think its worth the money.... I guess.... Maybe a good refurb will hold me over xD. What do you other 930 / 1520 owners think? I love the OS and the device.... Heating and battery life issues are so strange....

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 930

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
1520 battery lasts days and I'm not joking it really does, the 930 which I now have is good for a full days use with the occasional charge and I'm a heavy user.

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I mention some other differences.
930 has a AMOLED which performs a much faster response to touch commands.
1520 has a bigger camera lens resulting that you can capture from more distance with 1520 comparing to 930.
930 uses Corning gorilla glass 3 but 1520 uses older one.

and notice that you can't work with a 5" with one hand as well as a 6". So, It doesn't matter 1" difference. If you are thinking about the 5" screen just for more ease of work with one hand, don't even think about it and consider other differences.

L1520 advantages:
* More battery life >> use use and use until you are back home
* Better working experience with 6" >> having more fun with games and videos and websites and reading office files or PDF
* F2.4 vs F2.2 ( size of camera sensor ) >> bigger photos, you can take photos from more distance
* Support of external storage >> capture and record more but notice that there is something called "sync" that you should consider
* Glance

L930 advantages:
* Newer !
* AMOLED ( no doubt AMOLED is better than IPS ) >> more eye catching than IPS, Faster response, newer technology, more dens colors and f***ing deeper black :D vs more natural colors
* Gorilla glass 3 >> better protection
* Smaller and much more stylish ( I think so ) >> carry, pocket, and use more easily
* More pixel density >> sharper display colors and more eye catching
* Surely better build quality >> Al vs Plastic ( But 1520 is still nice and I like it too ) ( Al reflects heat more )

Actually the 930 and 1520 packs the same lenses and sensor, same 26 mm lenses with 6 lens and f 2.4 aperture and the same 1/2.5 inch sensor. So the photos from the 930/1520 are exactly the same size and resolution.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
How do you figure AMOLED performs faster to touch commands?
That is 100% personal opinion. Many of us, including myself, prefer the IPS LCD display.

There is no difference between AMOLED and IPS for touch sensitivity. The light emitting layers do not interpret the touches. There is a glass panel with receivers in it that know when you're touching. I could have put a B&W old school nokia monochrome layer and the same touch screen layer on it and it would be exactly the same. The difference in IPS and AMOLED is 100% subjective and perceptive.

I don't like AMOLED but it looks BEAUTIFUL on a phone. I hate how using WHITE themes or browsing the web actually eats up more battery life just because it's white!. And I don't mean "a little more", the consumption is considerable.

So yes, AMOLED pops more, but is that better for you? Hmm... I prefer IPS, but I know AMOLED is more beautiful, but consumes more power for the most simple of things.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yup... Amoled colors looks very bright, but are actually unnatural and I prefer IPS over it.

The battery consumption with whites on amoled is the final deal breaker for me. Like stated above, the difference is big. Some say "oh I use black theme anyway", which of course does not make big difference basically. Most websites, fb chat, emails and so many other things that are used for long periods are mainly white. No one stares at their start screen.

IPS all the way.

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Newer generations of AMOLED panels are more power efficient and are getting very close to IPS panels efficiency displaying mostly white content. The sentiment that AMOLED screens show unnatural colors is wrong on so many levels ... Displaying unnatural colors is related to display calibration and has nothing to do with panel type. IPS panels do not come out of production lines calibrated ... So, somebody has to calibrate them, because if they are not calibrated (Atrix HD) they look no worse or better than uncalibrated AMOLED. Vendors mandate calibration ... Calibrated AMOLED looks no different than calibrated IPS for most of the displayed content, I.e. full screen pictures.

Watching movies is whole another debate. I own the best performing plasma TV (Panasonic ZT60) and an OLED TV (LG EC9300). Having some time spent watching them side by side I can tell you that the best performing calibrated IPS (I have another high end LG IPS based TV) panel cannot come close to the performance of calibrated OLED. I think the same can be said for mobile, when displaying movies

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
They may be more efficient but they are not close. Just by pure physics they can't be close... I did the experiment today dropped 8% from 98 to 90 faster than usual with completely usual usage. ;) totally not scientific experiment but completely expected result.

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
They may be more efficient but they are not close. Just by pure physics they can't be close... I did the experiment today dropped 8% from 98 to 90 faster than usual with completely usual usage. ;) totally not scientific experiment but completely expected result.

What kind of phone you have that you are basing your statements on? From your statements I assume you do not have Galaxy S5 nor Galaxy Note 4. When I wrote that AMOLED's are getting close I meant the panels in Galaxy S5 and Galaxy Note 4. I read displaymate.com and trust his measurements (one may not agree with his conclusions, but the guy at least knows how to measure/quantify display performance). On displaymate.com there is a measured power consumption of Galaxy S5 display when displaying all white at full brightness: 1.5 watts with Luminance 351 cd/m2 and power consumption of iPhone 6 plus: 1.52 watts with Luminance of 566 cd/m2. Both displays are 1080p and close with the size (it is not like one is 3.5" and the other 6.0") and both consume about the same with iPhone 6 plus (IPS) 0.02 watts more. You see, they burn the same amount of energy ... Granted, iPhone's display is brighter and that is why I said that AMOLEDS are not quite there yet but in 80% of the cases (when not outside in bright sunlight) the displays will consume the same (even in bright sunlight they will consume the same while the iPhone's display will be more legible). The displaymate guy believes that with the next iteration of AMOLED, they may become more efficient (more efficient than IPS, that is), but as I said that is his opinion and I linked his measurements only.

The things changed little bit with Note 4 (1.8 watts with Luminance of 350 cd/m2) and the explanation would be the increased resolution. Color accuracy wise, the Note 4 in "basic" mode is spot on accurate.

The bad thing is that Samsung keeps their latest panel technology for their flagships only ...

The physics can deceive you ...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05