Durability Reports (No Case)

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I would be interested in knowing how the Icon - especially the white version is holding up for those running without a case? Is it discolored? Scratches?

deejohdumb

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I dropped my icon face down on the concrete sidewalk. It then slid for about three feet. This happened about two weeks after getting my icon. I was expecting a shattered screen or at least a thousand scratches, but there was absolutely nothing wrong, no scratches at all. This thing is solid.

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I have had a few minor drops in the car, from an accidental miss of my wireless charger cradle and I think that the metal band seems to hold up very well. No dings at all. I have the black Icon but plan to purchase the white as well because I have to buy a second phone for my other line and my wife wants the white. I just wonder if it gets "dirty" easily from hands and putting it down on the table.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I have had a few minor drops in the car, from an accidental miss of my wireless charger cradle and I think that the metal band seems to hold up very well. No dings at all. I have the black Icon but plan to purchase the white as well because I have to buy a second phone for my other line and my wife wants the white. I just wonder if it gets "dirty" easily from hands and putting it down on the table.

Admittedly, I'm pretty careful with my white icon. I don't touch it if I know my hands are dirty, I try to set it down on clean surfaces, and I actively clean out my pockets before putting it in there. But I haven't noticed a single scratch or smudge on it in over a month. The ceramic finish on the white is really nice and does a good job protecting it. I'm sure over time it will wear-off and i'll see some smudges.

Additionally, sometimes when I grab my phone with my left hand, i'll hear and feel my wedding ring brushing up against the aluminum band. But there's not a single scratch on the band from it. Still looks finally and perfectly brushed silver.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I have a white one as well. I was using a Dual Pro case on it but since went naked. The white finish on the phone has been good so far, no discoloration, scratches or smudges. Unfortunately can't say the same for my white DualPro case, it's now grey.

RSailer

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty careful with my phone so mine looks like it looked when I purchased it on launch day. No discoloration, no scratches on the screen, no scratches on the aluminum. I've never had it in a case or had a screen protector on it.

srmccoy

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so since I've had my Icon (launch day) I have carried it mostly without a case. I have a few minor hairline scratches on the screen as well as one deeper scratch because a little sand got into my pocket (I like in Florida). Nothing you can see unless you shine light directly on the screen.

The phone did fall one time between my car seat and the center console, fishing it out I noticed a small ding on the top of the phone on the casing. Just a little knick, which is shiny because the black is only anodized. Funny thing is that this occurred AFTER I put an Incipio Feather case on the phone, which doesn't cover that front lip. Eh well.

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so since I've had my Icon (launch day) I have carried it mostly without a case. I have a few minor hairline scratches on the screen as well as one deeper scratch because a little sand got into my pocket (I like in Florida). Nothing you can see unless you shine light directly on the screen.

The phone did fall one time between my car seat and the center console, fishing it out I noticed a small ding on the top of the phone on the casing. Just a little knick, which is shiny because the black is only anodized. Funny thing is that this occurred AFTER I put an Incipio Feather case on the phone, which doesn't cover that front lip. Eh well.

I tend to do it backwards as well. Generally I will run without a case until the unit seems to be showing it's age and then put a case on to cover the scratches.

assistman

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I was keeping mine in a microfiber sunglass pouch for the first couple of days I had it, because my case had not arrived. I went to grab it from my truck and the cord on the pouch stuck around the shifter, when I was pulling it out...it then cut loose and flew about 8' feet out into the gravel parking lot. It has two small scratches on the screen and the back popped off...been working fine since. Impressive....

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I was keeping mine in a microfiber sunglass pouch for the first couple of days I had it, because my case had not arrived. I went to grab it from my truck and the cord on the pouch stuck around the shifter, when I was pulling it out...it then cut loose and flew about 8' feet out into the gravel parking lot. It has two small scratches on the screen and the back popped off...been working fine since. Impressive....

How hard was it to pop the back back in place? The implications of replaceable plates are endless. Especially with all the new color 930's coming out.

assistman

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I should have been more clear...it was only about 25% off. I had to push on it pretty hard to get it on, but I would think changing them is certainly possible....

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I dropped my 4 day old icon face down on concrete because the back is a little slippery. The screen shattered. Anyone that says the glass wont shatter after falling glass down on concrete is not being truthful to you.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I dropped my 4 day old icon face down on concrete because the back is a little slippery. The screen shattered. Anyone that says the glass wont shatter after falling glass down on concrete is not being truthful to you.

Or they were more fortunate than you and there's did not shatter like yours. That's possible, ya know.

Did you have insurance on it?

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I doubt it, & yes I had insurance. Just don't believe it was dropped & slid without anything happening to it. Especially with the curved edges. With a case plausible, without I'm not buying it...

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site

wow... that was ... Ugly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss