Nokia lumia 930 glance support petition!

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello

Guys I've posted a petition to bring the Glance Screen support to 930 regardless of what is the problem there, so if you like me WANT this feature there please sign and let show Nokia our power! IF YOU HOWEVER ARE NOT IN NEED instead of writing here just ignore it.

https://www.change.org/petitions/nokia-bring-glance-screen-support-to-lumia-930

I have signed it, but the only way nokia can bring support for Glance screen is by changing the screen used in 930. With current screen, its not possible

inffy

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I know that, that's why the petition, they still have a time and I believe they can change the screen tech.

Sorry but this won't happen. They would need tho change the screen and buy more expensive screen tech and as the amoled screens with have the memory capacity are not mass produced (I would guess) it wouldn't be possible to get the device to the market in June.

Maybe Nokia could use their SensorCore feature to enable some kind of glance features.

csd_images

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
No they can't, not this close to release. It's not just a case of slapping in a new screen there is a lot of factors involved from validation, testing and production. You're talking about another display that will pull more power (memory costs power, the more you have the higher the draw). Circuitry may need to be redesigned to support the pin outs of the screen and so on. Designs take years from the initial sketches to release on the market. You also have ramp up production to release which usually takes 3-6 months before release.

So it's not going to happen, the best you could hope for is some kind of software fix which Nokia has acknowledged they are looking into.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
this is a case of Nokia bending its own standards to compromise with Verizon's ****ty price points...THEN taking the same phone and just slapping a GSM chip in it. Same thing happened with the 928 where Verizon wanted them to strip out a 10 cent chip that provides FM radio.

Microsoft needs to get the deal done and stop taking orders from ****ty carriers. Offer unlocked, unbranded devices sold directly to consumers...JUST LIKE APPLE.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
No they can't, not this close to release. It's not just a case of slapping in a new screen there is a lot of factors involved from validation, testing and production. You're talking about another display that will pull more power (memory costs power, the more you have the higher the draw). Circuitry may need to be redesigned to support the pin outs of the screen and so on. Designs take years from the initial sketches to release on the market. You also have ramp up production to release which usually takes 3-6 months before release.

So it's not going to happen, the best you could hope for is some kind of software fix which Nokia has acknowledged they are looking into.

But everyone on the interwebs are experts at everything and something like this is supposed to just be a quick 10 second swap.
Because the internets told me so.

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Fuq glance I just want Qi wireless charging built in and @ least 32 gb or storage, just like the L920. They already explained why they couldn't support glance on the 930 handset, because of the type of screen chosen.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
this is a case of Nokia bending its own standards to compromise with Verizon's ****ty price points...THEN taking the same phone and just slapping a GSM chip in it. Same thing happened with the 928 where Verizon wanted them to strip out a 10 cent chip that provides FM radio.

Microsoft needs to get the deal done and stop taking orders from ****ty carriers. Offer unlocked, unbranded devices sold directly to consumers...JUST LIKE APPLE.

True as this may be, unfortunately without carriers MS and Nokia have no business. So they carry quite a bit of weight when it comes to what is and isn't in handsets and Microsoft frankly just doesn't have the mobile market share at the moment to press them to compromise. Hopefully that will some day change. :/

Macco26

May 8, 2013
Visit site
If anything I'd think that Nokia should add a Windows logo button glowing notification for its Icon/930 that lacks Glance. If I remember correctly a past version of Glance even showed "Windows button" in its description. Then that wording disappeared. It was a long time before even Icon was a thing.

Hope they're working to work with the glowing button for handset that can't properly the full Display glance.

I'm not interested in a 930, but should someone liked this idea I'd suggest you put your uservoice as well, or put some hints to Nokia.

:)

vw1610

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
this petition is stupid as hell.
they can't just change the screen. they already made deals with suppliers to produce these phones. better luck making a petition for the 940.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Ah, you guys are going about it all wrong. Forget a petition, what about a good old fashioned threat. Tell Mr Elop if we don't get a glance screen, and micro SD card support, we'll send operatives over to his house and graffiti, "Apple Rules" on his walls.

That'll learn him.

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Although I don't think they will ever change the panel on the Icon/930, I'll be happy to support but you should change the petition, you should make one that says something like "Please NokiaSoft, include Glance on all your future Lumias since it is an innovative and unique way to display information and a feature that distinguishes the Lumia phones from every other phone". I would sign and support that, I run a lumia fanpage on facebook with around 600 followers who love their lumias and would love to support that as well.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it will happen.,
I wanted to ask What are the All differences between Icon n 930 except one being international and other exclusive for Verizon but still unlocked

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have signed it, but the only way nokia can bring support for Glance screen is by changing the screen used in 930. With current screen, its not possible
I know this has often been mooted, but can I add to your statement....
"With current screen, its not possible with the existing glance solution, however there may be an opportunity for future software based developments using alternative mechanisms."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb