Should i buy lumia 1020 or wait for next nokia camera phone?

Zamalekz

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
i am very hesitant , lumia 1020 is nearly 1 year old and the battery is low i think and screen is small , but the camera is very powerful , so should i wait for the next camera phone? or my sight to the lumia 1020 is wrong? what about the battery? how many hours it stands if i use facebook , watching youtube or taking photos? thanks !

filfat

Banned
Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Consider asking yourself this question first, "do I need the phone now?"
If "yes" then go for it.
If "no" then ask yourself "can I wait and see if there ever comes a new camera phone then buy it?"
If "yes" then wait.
If "no" go for it

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I personally don't believe we will see another 1020 quality camera in a phone again for a while. 1020 sales were not very good, and Nokia seems content with the 20mp shooter in the most recent devices.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Since the 1020 is a pretty unique device, I personally think that it will be some time before we see it's successor. Due to it's nature and the engineering requirements I honestly believe that it will take longer than the normal upgrade cycle for Nokia to come up with another handset with a high end camera like this one. I bought a 1020 just recently and don't regret it one bit. It still performs just as smoothly as any other Windows Phone 8 handset and will see the upgrade to 8.1. Battery life is definitely it's biggest challenge, though. I have found some days that it's about average and on other days when I'm using the web heavily I can easily eat up 30% or more of the battery by noon. Overall I generally get a days worth of average use (for me - checking email and Facebook about once or twice an hour, texting) out of it between 7:00 AM and 9:00 PM before I have to charge. Your mileage may vary depending on your habits, of course.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
i am very hesitant , lumia 1020 is nearly 1 year old and the battery is low i think and screen is small , but the camera is very powerful , so should i wait for the next camera phone? or my sight to the lumia 1020 is wrong? what about the battery? how many hours it stands if i use facebook , watching youtube or taking photos? thanks !

Being one year old doesn't mean its bad or necessarily behind the curve. I picked up a 920 last September and it was already a year/year half old and I haven't had second thoughts.
Its a fine device, it will work just fine as Windows Phone can run well with what its given.

The battery is going to last around 16 hours or so with on-off use (should be on par with the Lumia 92x's) although constant use such as a web browsing, youtube binge would drain it faster like any other phone. It's not exactly bad unless you get a defective device, but then again it isn't exactly great battery life either.

If you think the 4.5" display is dinky, then I suggest looking at the 1520. The battery is much better I hear, the display is a force to be reckoned with at a 6" panel which is also rather nice. Coupled with the highest specs in Windows Phone-land (and ones that stands up decently to the highest end of Androids) to date and a camera that still kicks ****. It won't stand up to the 1020, but that's because the 1020 is just that good.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
We should at least see an updated 1020 by the end of the year.. whatever they decide to call it. It might not be another leap forward in terms of imaging, but it should have updated hardware that can better match the camera.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
It may be a while before we see a 1020 successor (i hope it is sooner and packs a blinking SD card slot!!!! Grrrrrr).

That said, the current model is fantastic. I've got around having weak battery by carrying a blackberry q10 battery charger pack (something like 2800 mah and small and slim) so problem solved. I picked it up for under ?20 on amazon uk - proces will vary but these accessories do go for cheap.

That goldfinger wont be around anywhere before august, if that, so it really comes down to how fast you need a phone.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
simple question .... do you want to be taking great photos now or in quite a waits time ...... how many decent photos could you have taken while you was waiting for the 1020 big bro ..... time waits for no man and photo opportunities don't sit about and wait for you to get that new phone ;-)

will you look back in 10 years time and think hummmm I wish I had bought tha yellow bad boy 1020 when I had the chance these pictures of that '' insert special day here'' would have been so much better ;-)

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
The 1020 has a small screen? My 1020 has a 4,5 screen.
Welll considering the current development, it seems like next year the traditional 7" tablet will simply die and be replaced by 7" "phablets". I don't understand the size craziness myself, in the end it comes down to the user whether he or she wants a large screen or a more compact device.
Personally I still think the 1020 is almost a bit too large for my tastes, so I don't have a single problem with the "tiny" 4.5" display ;)

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I would like to point out, 1020 upgrade wont come soon,
Nokia does'nt like to repeat what they have achieved in the past. for eg
N8 1st 12mp phone
808 1st 41 mp phone
920 1st phone wit OIS and great low light photography

Now 1020 was that they combined 808 wit OIS and brought a new phone, it took a long time and good engineering and research.

1820 wont be having 41 mp's but it will be what HTC has done wit ONE (M8), but in Nokia's way of doing it.

it will take time for the 1020 to get a upgrade, 1020 is a niche device, not all want the 41mp sensor procuring on their phone.
Now Nokia and MS are focused on penetrating and gaining the market share by giving out low cost and the phones which suit every1, like the 930.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm still rockin my yellow 1020 and have not seen any new phones come out yet that would persuade me into "upgrading"... the 1020 is STILL the king as far as photography goes... So if photography/imaging is important to you, the 1020 is still the best option...
And I myself haven't had any issues with battery life as I also carry the Nokia camera grip with the extended battery. It lasts all day for me with taking many pictures, surfing the web, email, text, calls, etc etc.
Also, the 4.5" screen is a perfect size for me... If I want to use a tablet, I just use my Surface 2 with it's 11.5" screen.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
1820 wont be having 41 mp's but it will be what HTC has done wit ONE (M8), but in Nokia's way of doing it.

Where did you get this information? I would absolutely hate if they did this. My son has the HTC One and in my opinion the camera is not nearly as great as everyone says it is.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I would like to point out, 1020 upgrade wont come soon,
Nokia does'nt like to repeat what they have achieved in the past. for eg
N8 1st 12mp phone
808 1st 41 mp phone
920 1st phone wit OIS and great low light photography

On the contrary Nokia have been regularly reusing the same tech (in a good way). Windows Phone 7 wasn't ready for the 41MP camera so they released the 808 even though Symbian was being retired and the 1020 was the same tech as the 808 only with WP8. The 920 on the other hand has been re-badged multiple times with very minor tweeks; 925, 928.

I could very well imagine an updated 1020 with a 41MP camera but quad core.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I've found it interesting that externally the phone is designated the 1020, but if you look at the info on the phone in the "About" screen it says the model is 909, which would make sense if it had been running Symbian and succeeded the 808. I guess it really is it's spiritual successor even if it's running WP8, though.

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Where did you get this information? I would absolutely hate if they did this. My son has the HTC One and in my opinion the camera is not nearly as great as everyone says it is.

I'm talking about HTC ONE (M8) the new one,
which has a camera and a sensor which makes it used for playing with the focus in the pictures,but it has many drawbacks.
From what i know Nokia does'nt compromises on the Camera ever, so they dont make any gimicky things,

Now their is a problem, some reports saying that their is no phone as 1820.
But the Good news is that, their will be a new camera tech coming with Nokia, they have allready invested alot in graphene tech and Pelican Imaging,
It is now time that we see it.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
On the contrary Nokia have been regularly reusing the same tech (in a good way). Windows Phone 7 wasn't ready for the 41MP camera so they released the 808 even though Symbian was being retired and the 1020 was the same tech as the 808 only with WP8. The 920 on the other hand has been re-badged multiple times with very minor tweeks; 925, 928.

I could very well imagine an updated 1020 with a 41MP camera but quad core.

The pureview technology in the 1020 and the 808 was a 5 year project prior to Nokia adopting WP... so the whole project was developed around the Symbian OS. I am still impressed that they managed to port it over to WP in two years or so.. I mean yes, they had the basic technology and the optics sort of ready, but still.

Nokia won't just let the 41Mpix pureview stuff go that easily... they will milk that cow for a while by adding things to it like they did with the OIS system. Its too big of investment to be replaced so quickly. They might scale it down toward the mid range camera devices, but I don't think its time yet.. the 20Mpix module they are using for the 1520/Icon/930 is good enough for at least another year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion