Nokia Lumia Icon Vs. Samsung Ativ SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Having held S4's in my hands many times, as well as S3's and Note 3's, Samsung phones are very flimsy feeling in comparison. They feel more like toys. The Icon is probably one of the best built phones I have ever laid my hands on, and I've had my hands on a great many. The Icon comes with 32GB instead of 16GB, but doesn't have the SD card. The ATIV has a removable battery, but that's also part of the reason why the build quality of the phone isn't as good, as it's not a monolithic phone, per se. If an extra oz of weight is a big deal, then that would be something to consider, but I just don't find the Icon to be heavy. I think the weight is good and well balanced. The camera is better on the Icon as well.

It's all about your tastes and needs. For me, the Icon is the no-brainer. Your opinion may differ.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have the Icon and I already ordered the SE. I had an S4, I like the form factor, and the Nokia "extras" (camera, camera button, etc) aren't worth the SD card and removable battery. Not to mention the lack of Glance (see all my other previous posts) and the whole "taking two pictures and only uploading the small one" thing makes my head hurt. The Nokia fanboys are off putting to me as well, so for me this is a better choice. My Icon will be up on ebay, of anyone is interested. I like WP enough to stay, and that should be the point for us all...

You do realize that Glance is a Nokia only feature and won't be on the Ativ SE, right? Why on earth is it hard for you to wrap your head around the 2 pictures thing? It's about mobile data use and social network restrictions. You can still connect your phone to your computer and load up the high res one if the site allows it. You can also use ProShot to get 10 MP shots in 4:3 ratio and 8MP shots in 16:9. So there are other options. Now, if the SD card and removable battery are big for you, that's fine. Those are respectable reasons for switching as people's needs do vary.

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Sticking with the Icon. I haven't used Samsung in a long time, so I can't really give you my input on that. Icon works for me.

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I respect your thoughts, I just don't agree. How it feels? It's a phone, it feels like a phone. The Icon is nice enough, it feels think and boxy to me, a little heavy, but okay...I realize that the Samsung (like all it's brethren) has a silly LED light that tells my simple, country azz, "hey, look at me, you missed something". No big deal to you? Live and be well, baby...it matters to me...

The picture thing is silly to me. On this Earth I don't have data limits nor do I want to plug my phone in to a cable...give me the option to ditch the dumb 5M pic, and upload the hi res pic, and it's good. But no, can't do it on the Icon.

Really, I keep saying the same sheet over and over...if you like Nokia, and think they are superior to all inferior phones, groove on, baby. I don't. But that ain't what's important. I like WP, and I assume you do too, since you been banging around with an OS with less thank 4% market share. So, the way I see it, we all should welcome as many seats at the table as we can get. More of us WP users, more apps, healthier ecosystem, we all win, right? Why all the hate? What works for you don't work for me, and vice versa. Why all the sheet talking?

Peace, brothers, peace. If you want to fight, go fight Apple and Google, not your comrades on WP, just because they don't give a rats azz about a dedicated camera button or lenses clear enough to capture a goat's sphincter...

And for the record, the SD card is my main motivator. Although, as an owner of several Samsung TVs, that compatibility is a bonus.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
ret, you should followed the adage: asked and answered... you had your say. but now you just keep regurgitating it... I think you're overly sensitive and find some need to be recognized as "levelheaded". just let it go. you like the samsung. no need to regurgitate.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Gotta jump in here. Both devices look really good and it is nice Verizon customers have real choices...t-mo has nothing to really choose from at the moment. The SD card is a neat option for people who want more storage. Not everyone wants or needs a great camera on a phone.

Personally, I'd love one phone with great design, great camera, great audio, good storage and at 4.5" screen size. That doesn't exist in the WP game right now. The more manufacturers we have, the better the option. Plus, I read something where Glance may end up being a WP8.1 feature, not just a Nokia exclusive.

Never understood why people who want WP but don't want a Nokia get nailed to the cross. 1 OEM on an OS can't innovate as much all the time - ask Apple.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
If I were looking to replace my 8X I'd choose the Icon. Imaging and audio recording is far more important to me than a MicroSD slot. I've done well with 16 GB on the 8X and backup regularly to preserve my pictures and not run out of space that 32 GB would be more than enough.

I'm very curious to see if all the Samsung support calls I get for the Galaxy Note2/3 and S3/S4 transfer over to Windows Phone as well. I'm guessing they won't, cause I see a lot of the same issues on other Android phones as the Samsungs.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Got the Icon when it first came out but not the Ativ SE is about to come out. Simular spec wise but I wonder is the Ativ the better device? My Icon is great but I wish battery could be better. Should I switch for the Ativ SE? I know the cameras are different and the Ativ does not have SST but I'm in FL I don't need gloves lol. What do you guys think?

If you have money to burn by all means, but do know that samsung is 100% cheap plastic, Icon has aluminum frame and durable polycarbonate on the back, the camera on the Icon is most probably better then Samsung (it probably uses the same camera as galaxy s4, so you can compare those two), I'm pretty sure Icon has better microphones as well. Forget about Nokia apps then, samsung has some of its own, but I doubt they invest so much time in WP like Nokia does. I don't think ATIV SE is a bad device though, it's just no way better then Icon. It may be as good as it, but not better, they do use the same chip after all. Both come with 1080p 5" AMOLED, ATIV SE does have 180mAh bigger battery though. I also prefer the curved screen on Lumias, I haven't seen a samsung feel as good.

If you didn't have the icon, I'd say get samsung if you like it, both are great devices, but unless you have more money you can spend, I think it's stupid investing in a device that's just as good as the one you already have.
As you figured, it's a very biased opinion, but you can read the specs and reviews yourself ;)

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
ret, you should followed the adage: asked and answered... you had your say. but now you just keep regurgitating it... I think you're overly sensitive and find some need to be recognized as "levelheaded". just let it go. you like the samsung. no need to regurgitate.

Well, gee mister, if you say so, since my opinion isn't to suckle the bountiful teat of All Things Nokia...

So much for a "conversation", huh? Just stick to "Nokia is gold, Samsung sucks azz, plastic, no camera button, blah blah". Nice community you got here, real inclusive (as long as you don't disagree with the iHerd). You can do better, guys. Really (see: Confirmation bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I had no idea Nokia "fans" had drifted so far into iThink.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
once again, you're getting defensive... o_O just relax. go to the beach or something.

In defense though, some folks here troll Nokia a tad too hard. My favorite WP device to this point is still the Focus S. The plastic on that was the same plastic Samsung has been using and I had 0 issues with that phone.

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
get the ativ SE, i've had the lumia 820, 920 and 925 and i regret it so much now because the ativ S i have offers everything they do and haven't had any isssues so far, just get the phone that feels right for you, the phone that makes you smile everytime you unlock your screen, sometimes specs are mis-leading, its all about what makes you happy

Last edited:

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Gotta jump in here. Both devices look really good and it is nice Verizon customers have real choices...t-mo has nothing to really choose from at the moment. The SD card is a neat option for people who want more storage. Not everyone wants or needs a great camera on a phone.

Personally, I'd love one phone with great design, great camera, great audio, good storage and at 4.5" screen size. That doesn't exist in the WP game right now. The more manufacturers we have, the better the option. Plus, I read something where Glance may end up being a WP8.1 feature, not just a Nokia exclusive.

Never understood why people who want WP but don't want a Nokia get nailed to the cross. 1 OEM on an OS can't innovate as much all the time - ask Apple.
I think and hope that no one here is advocating for no other OEMs to jump onboard and support WP8, cause that would be crazy. The OP asked for opinions in order to make a decision. I gave my 2 cents and screwed up since I wasn't aware that the Samsung had a Snapdragon 800, but like I said before I've been known to be wrong from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte