Nokia Lumia Icon Vs. Samsung Ativ SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
No Mr. Dawson, no. No other manufacturer is allowed to tinker with the OS. Only Nokia, everyone knows that already.
With you saying that and saying Here Maps just getting to other Windows Phones (been on my wife's 8XT since she got it back at launch) I know you just spouting nonsense.

ATIV SE
- AMOLED screen (subjective)
- SD Card (subjective)
- IR Blaster (subjective)
- Access to Nokia apps (subjective)
- Samsung's proven build quality (subjective)

Lumia Icon
- 20MP camera, Zeiss optics (subjective)
- Nokia exclusive apps (subjective)
- Feels more durable in the hand (subjective)
- 32GB built in (subjective)
- Nokia's OS offerings (subjective)

Seeing as a new Samsung release got RAN OVER BY AN SUV and lived to tell the tale, build quality is beyond excellent from them. Never heard about any FFC dust from them or proximity sensor problems either.

Seeing as Nokia can't get glance to work, what killer OS feature does the Icon have? Double tap to wake? That's coming to all phones with 8.1

Icon has 32GB to work with so you have plenty of room for big games, but 8.1 is going to remedy that with apps2sd for the ATIV SE.

AMOLED gets screen burn if you don't watch out.

As you can see, both have pros and cons and all "selling points" are subjective. Can't go wrong with either. But personally after the 900, 810, 620 and 920 I'm about done with Nokia. All had mean hardware faults and I'm sure I wasn't lucky enough to get a bad batch on all 4 phones. Ready for HTC or Samsung to release something in the US.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
so we have sections now? Wasn't Aware we were so segregated.

Then perhaps you need to take a look at what section you're posting in, better yet have a look at forums.wpcentral.com and tell me that it's just one big conversation.

I notice you conveniently avoided every other part of my post though!!!

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
That is such a Flawed perspective. "They don't support because they want to,it's because they have to."
Uh duh, it's called being a business. You're basically saying it is expected of Nokia to support Windows phone as hard as they do(which is true) but at the same time since Android is Samsung's Bread & Butter, it's okay to throw out rehashes with nothing defining really about them and not market or support them because they don't have to.

K then.

Yeah...Apps that came WAY later after the exclusivity ended? I believe up until recently at Build Here Maps was just recently made available for all windows Phones. Either way, my point still stands about the apps. If/When it comes to Windows Phone as an exclusive, I am pretty sure we don't hear about it being anything but Lumia exclusive hence the whining about it being unfair to people without Lumias because they feel they should all get it.

And i always say...Why? Why should you get an app that Nokia brought for its customers because your OEM does nothing for you.

Really? So you think Microsoft intentionally just said "Hey let's screw over our other partners...you know people like HTC and Samsung who were there on day 1 with windows phone 7 before there ever was a Lumia and let's just give Nokia free reign with the OS."

Once again your logic is flawed. I seriously doubt Microsoft is showing favoritism and I am sure Microsoft would have allowed Samsung to do some of the same things Nokia has done if they wanted to. There is no reason for them to DENY Samsung(or any OEM) the ability to tinker with the OS the way Nokia has for their devices because in the end, it would do better for the OS. Let's not make BS excuses...if Samsung truly wanted to add some of their camera extensions from their android phones into their Ativ line they could have easily worked something out with Microsoft I am sure. After all, you guys keep saying Samsung is the biggest Manufacturer so why would Microsoft want to not let them add more power and muscle to their devices?

Amusing. Calling a Camera Niche in this day and age. I am not sure you are aware or not but this is 2014 and given the trend of overindulgent narcissism, yeah a camera is a pretty big thing. People want cameras that they don't always have to lug around that real camera. This is not 2007 where we were okay with having crappy photos from a 3-5 megapixel camera(amazing how in about 7 years we've already jumped to 41 megapixel cameraphones btw, that is crazy to me.)

Calling a Camera Niche is basically just naivety on your part. Niche is the Galaxy Zoom Samsung Made. Or the Lumia 1020.

A mainstream Phone such as the Icon/930, Xperia Lines, HTC, iphone and Samsung's own Galaxy lines needs to have a great camera on it because in this day and age that is expected.

Calling a Camera Phone niche is rather basic of you and you're trying to discredit Nokia's defining feature(The It Factor...something Samsung Windows Phone lacks) and downplay it when other companies are trying to add their own it factor to their cameras to better compete with Nokia in imaging.

Unless the Lumia 1020 flew off shelves, yeah it is niche. Better cameras means more companies can brag about in ads so the masses can go buy it. If I remember correctly the Galaxy Camera and S4 Zoom aren't the popular models from Samsung. Nokia has to do their best to make defining features because as repeated many times WP is all they have right now. They don't have android devices to fall back onto and the hardware side is now owned by Microsoft, so of course their stuff is more high quality they work more closely together.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I'm a fan of the device that best fits my needs. As nice as these are, I doubt I would buy either one - especially since I'm on t-mo. As I said earlier, the OP still hasn't talked about what his needs are and how he uses the Icon, so much of the old "Samsung make cheap recycled ****" argument is about as useful as trying to take a crap on an overflowing toilet.

Personally, I want to go back the VZW store by the job to see if they have a Ativ SE, and maybe even play with that M8 again. At the end of the day, both phones are not perfect and are pretty close to either other. At least VZW has choices. As a t-mo customer my only choices are buy em unlocked, by a discounted 925 via Newegg or HSN, or have Legere block smoke up your **** about supporting your device (ask 810 and 8X users about the one).

You cannot go wrong either device here.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Got the Icon when it first came out but not the Ativ SE is about to come out. Simular spec wise but I wonder is the Ativ the better device? My Icon is great but I wish battery could be better. Should I switch for the Ativ SE? I know the cameras are different and the Ativ does not have SST but I'm in FL I don't need gloves lol. What do you guys think?

Battery life will be a bit better on the Ativ SE, due to the actual cell being physically larger. Plus, since it's removable, you get the option of carrying a spare for really heavy days.

Alternatively, the Icon carries the benefit of Qi charging, which makes top ups more convenient where required. I'm planning to go from my Ativ S, which I LOVE, to the L930 when it drops. I would've just gone with the SE, especially since my carrier is more likely to get it, but I'm not prepared to give up the dedicated camera button...

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah because they signed an agreement to care and exclusively support WP. They have no other focus, plus if they didn't they be 6 feet deep so there's that.

They don't support because they want to, it's because they HAVE to.

The "Why" doesn't matter, it is true that Nokia supports WP better than other OEMs. He wasn't necessarily bashing Samsung, just giving a reason why he would choose Nokia.

No Mr. Dawson, no. No other manufacturer is allowed to tinker with the OS. Only Nokia, everyone knows that already.
With you saying that and saying Here Maps just getting to other Windows Phones (been on my wife's 8XT since she got it back at launch) I know you just spouting nonsense.

ATIV SE
- AMOLED screen (subjective)
- SD Card (subjective)
- IR Blaster (subjective)
- Access to Nokia apps (subjective)
- Samsung's proven build quality (subjective)

Lumia Icon
- 20MP camera, Zeiss optics (subjective)
- Nokia exclusive apps (subjective)
- Feels more durable in the hand (subjective)
- 32GB built in (subjective)
- Nokia's OS offerings (subjective)

They both have AMOLED screens btw. :wink:

anon(8730639)

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Samsung generally makes garbage, so the Ativ SE will most likely also be garbage. The Galaxy S line removes everything good about Android from the phones and the Ativ line is just underpowered, outdated rehashes of Galaxy S phones. So to summarize, the Icon is far far better than any Ativ.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Samsung generally makes garbage, so the Ativ SE will most likely also be garbage. The Galaxy S line removes everything good about Android from the phones and the Ativ line is just underpowered, outdated rehashes of Galaxy S phones. So to summarize, the Icon is far far better than any Ativ.

Hate has blinded you, young padawan.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

I suppose you've had extensive use of the Samsung ATIV range of devices then?

Still, flamebait thread is flamebait. The mods need to close this ASAP!!!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So I went to go check out the SE at a local Verizon and what amused me was the fact

A. I played dumb as if idk anything about windows phone. I just like to see how they treat windows phone with new customers.

Guy actually was very decent. He said the apps aren't fully there compared to android and ios but the user experience is great and that it does have high customer satisfaction and even told me about cortana is coming lol.

2. I checked out both devices(as expect the SE does feel cheaper) and once again played dumb.

Now this was coming from a sales rep....the guy was telling me to go for the Nokia as they are the best of the best with windows phone experience and that Samsung had a good offering but if I was looking for my first windows phone, that he recommends Nokia devices for all customers as customers are always satisfied and that they're the premier windows phone.

I asked about the IR blaster and ad card and he said that those are good features but he would get the icon because the hardware is nicer .

Of course I didn't get it but I was happy to see my experiment actually helped a real customer who winded up getting the icon.

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
So I went to go check out the SE at a local Verizon and what amused me was the fact

A. I played dumb as if idk anything about windows phone. I just like to see how they treat windows phone with new customers.

Guy actually was very decent. He said the apps aren't fully there compared to android and ios but the user experience is great and that it does have high customer satisfaction and even told me about cortana is coming lol.

2. I checked out both devices(as expect the SE does feel cheaper) and once again played dumb.

Now this was coming from a sales rep....the guy was telling me to go for the Nokia as they are the best of the best with windows phone experience and that Samsung had a good offering but if I was looking for my first windows phone, that he recommends Nokia devices for all customers as customers are always satisfied and that they're the premier windows phone.

I asked about the IR blaster and ad card and he said that those are good features but he would get the icon because the hardware is nicer .

Of course I didn't get it but I was happy to see my experiment actually helped a real customer who winded up getting the icon.

Lol, ooookaaayyy...

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

I'm sure you must feel pretty good about yourself now that some random rep randomly agreed with all of your points.

Pack it up everyone, thread over, we officially have a winner...:winktongue:

fatrat727

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
The Ativ SE is on backorder apparently. Along with the galaxy S5. So I'm wondering does the Ativ SE acutally has that much demand or is did samsung only ship 5 Ativ's and the demand is for 8 lol? Is it because of the BOGO? Or is it because of Cortana's publicity lately? So which could one of these theories seem like the most likely scenario? Good to see a windows phone on back order.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett