Nokia Lumia Icon Vs. Samsung Ativ SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
You can purchase wireless charging inserts on Amazon for the Galaxy S4 and they should work with the ATIV SE. I don't know if Samsung will release an official wireless charging back cover for the ATIV (probably not), so this is a plan b option. I have used them on other Samsung phones and they work fine without making the phone thicker.

You can peruse Samsung Galaxy S4 youtube videos about the camera and video as the ATIV SE has the same 13MP camera and flash as the S4. I won't repost pictures because there are a multitude of example videos already posted to youtube or in the forums. From my experience the ATIV SE photos taken outdoors look slightly better than the Icon to me, but I am not a photographer. Low light pictures go to the Icon but not by much. You will of course have more picture controls and settings on the Icon, but if you are just looking to take quick, auto setting photos the ATIV SE camera is not bad at all. It is also the same camera that is on the Galaxy Note 3, without the 4K video recording capability. There are plenty of picture and video samples from the Note 3 on YouTube as well. The bottom line with the ATIV is that you can add a 64GB microSD card to save pictures to so you don't have to worry about messing with cloud storage.

Thanks for all the info TechGeek32! (32 is my hockey number by the way!) Per your suggestion, I did a look up of the YouTube video comparing the S4 and Icon and you are right, the Photos and Videos looked similar, although low light was slightly better. They did mention though call quality was much better for the Icon. This is very important to me, so maybe they improved this with the ATIV SE.

I'm also not somebody concerned with the looks of the phone, but more so how comfortable it is to hold, and the rounded corners and lighter weight of the ATIV SE are definitely making me lean that direction.

So what is your final decision? Are you going with ATIV SE or sticking with Icon? Inquiring minds want to know... :)

luisfarelo

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Nokia fanboys are so annoying... WP will never go mainstream without the support of Samsung and others. In reality, Android thrived because of Samsung, and not the other way around.

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Nokia fanboys are so annoying... WP will never go mainstream without the support of Samsung and others. In reality, Android thrived because of Samsung, and not the other way around.

I also think WP wouldn't be where it was if it weren't for Samsung and HTC. Before Nokia and MS got together they were the ones keeping WP7 afloat.
I can still remember a few years back, I was shocked Nokia was even still around in 2011. Before WP7, all I can remember Nokia for was those dumb phones I played Snake on. NEVER knew they were in the smartphone business.

Last edited:

techgeek32#WN

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all the info TechGeek32! (32 is my hockey number by the way!) Per your suggestion, I did a look up of the YouTube video comparing the S4 and Icon and you are right, the Photos and Videos looked similar, although low light was slightly better. They did mention though call quality was much better for the Icon. This is very important to me, so maybe they improved this with the ATIV SE.

I'm also not somebody concerned with the looks of the phone, but more so how comfortable it is to hold, and the rounded corners and lighter weight of the ATIV SE are definitely making me lean that direction.

So what is your final decision? Are you going with ATIV SE or sticking with Icon? Inquiring minds want to know... :)

Going with the ATIV SE and keeping my Note 3. Shipped the Icon back.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Going with the ATIV SE and keeping my Note 3. Shipped the Icon back.

I looked at the Ativ`s size and found out, its similar to size to my Moto X which is tremendous because the Moto X is best one handed one phone on the market. I think I might grab the ATIV instead of the Icon before the summer is out. Especially since HERE and DRIVE are not exclusives for Lumia`s anymore.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The Icon was actually bigger than the ATIV SE when I compared the two. The Icon is taller and thicker, not the same height. Deceiving photo.

The Icon is taller and wider and bit thicker. But no drastically so. The photo gives a perspective on design and shape more importantly and actually compares how they look in comparison to each other, outside of actual size.

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Daniel Rubino did a nice little unboxing for the SE, and the Samsung haters/Nokia Super-apologists were out in force. Sigh.
Well, I'm a Nokia fan but... Why don't they just shut up? At least Samsung is offering us an alternative. Too much fanboyism in that thread, really...

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, I'm a Nokia fan but... Why don't they just shut up? At least Samsung is offering us an alternative. Too much fanboyism in that thread, really...

I guess some don`t like the fact Samsung has made a WP that can go toe to toe with all the Nokia high end devices. SE is in fact one of the best WP ever made. It`s also one of the only high end devices available.

J Ice70

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm on the fence between Icon, 1520, and Ativ SE. The cons being no micro SD on Icon, 1520 is just too big, Ativ SE doesn't have the pureview. If the Ativ fits the needs of other people, that's great for WP. I've had my 521 for quite some time, as every time something new comes out, there is always a compromise.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
So I had a chance to play with both today at my Verizon corporate store. I was very impressed with the ATIV SE. On the plus side, its MUCH more comfortable in hand than the Icon. the curved corners, slimness, and lighter weight are truly noticeable when holding he device. The squared corners of the Icon bothered me immediately. The ATIV SE screen is very nice, and the camera isn't too bad at all either... in fact, it took better daytime in-store pics in the auto mode than the Icon did.

Only things I didnt like were the fact that the surface of the ATIV SE screen was not as glassy smooth as the Nokia ICON... felt like my finger wouldnt slide well and it was a brand new device just out of box, no one else touched it. (However I was told that could be fixed with a glass overlay or screen protector.) Also, the blacks were deeper, whites were whiter and the colors just popped a tad more on the Icon. Although viewing angles seemed better on ATIV SE (but I look at my phone straight on anyway.)

Outside of those minor details and the fact you cant take full resolution pictures in 16:9 mode, I almost bought one right then and there! I have an 822 with 64GB card and I need the extra storage (Id go over on the Icon if I switched to it and be out of space completely) plus i have 2 extra batteries I have charged with me in case of emergencies with the 822. Heck, there's even a solution from the S4 (that should work) to put a wireless insert attached to the battery that gives it QI wireless charging on the ATIV SE too.

The only thing that stopped me was the fact the Verison in-store rep (who is also a Windows phone fan - he owns a 928) said that the HTC rep that visits his store keeps telling him a new high end Windows phone from HTC is on the way to Verizon! If it's the rumored cousin to the One-M8, I think I can hold off a bit longer. I would guess it wouldn't be until closer to the holidays, or Fall, but my upgrade isn't until November anyway, and Im not sure I want to hop on the Edge plan yet. Outside of that I'm SUPER tempted to jump on the ATIV SE. To me the brushed aluminum look was very classy, and it felt like a solidly built device (no flexing or creaking). Just as solid as the Icon.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
1520 = Snapdragon 800, 16/32gb + SD card, Glance, 6" screen, huge battery (non removable), Qi wireless charging (except AT&T model), 20mpx camera
Icon/930 = Snapdragon 800, 32gb, no glance, no SD. 5" screen, average battery (non removable), Qi wireless charging, 20mpx camera
Ativ SE = Snapdragon 800, 16gb + SD, 5" screen, removable battery (removable backplate). 13mpx camera.

Take your pick.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
1520 = Snapdragon 800, 16/32gb + SD card, Glance, 6" screen, huge battery (non removable), Qi wireless charging (except AT&T model), 20mpx camera
Icon/930 = Snapdragon 800, 32gb, no glance, no SD. 5" screen, average battery (non removable), Qi wireless charging, 20mpx camera
Ativ SE = Snapdragon 800, 16gb + SD, 5" screen, removable battery (removable backplate). 13mpx camera.

Take your pick.

It takes more than specs to choose a device. Isn't that the original philosophy of WP? Specs aren't everything?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
So I had a chance to play with both today at my Verizon corporate store. I was very impressed with the ATIV SE. On the plus side, its MUCH more comfortable in hand than the Icon. the curved corners, slimness, and lighter weight are truly noticeable when holding he device. The squared corners of the Icon bothered me immediately. The ATIV SE screen is very nice, and the camera isn't too bad at all either... in fact, it took better daytime in-store pics in the auto mode than the Icon did.

Only things I didnt like were the fact that the surface of the ATIV SE screen was not as glassy smooth as the Nokia ICON... felt like my finger wouldnt slide well and it was a brand new device just out of box, no one else touched it. (However I was told that could be fixed with a glass overlay or screen protector.) Also, the blacks were deeper, whites were whiter and the colors just popped a tad more on the Icon. Although viewing angles seemed better on ATIV SE (but I look at my phone straight on anyway.)

Outside of those minor details and the fact you cant take full resolution pictures in 16:9 mode, I almost bought one right then and there! I have an 822 with 64GB card and I need the extra storage (Id go over on the Icon if I switched to it and be out of space completely) plus i have 2 extra batteries I have charged with me in case of emergencies with the 822. Heck, there's even a solution from the S4 (that should work) to put a wireless insert attached to the battery that gives it QI wireless charging on the ATIV SE too.

The only thing that stopped me was the fact the Verison in-store rep (who is also a Windows phone fan - he owns a 928) said that the HTC rep that visits his store keeps telling him a new high end Windows phone from HTC is on the way to Verizon! If it's the rumored cousin to the One-M8, I think I can hold off a bit longer. I would guess it wouldn't be until closer to the holidays, or Fall, but my upgrade isn't until November anyway, and Im not sure I want to hop on the Edge plan yet. Outside of that I'm SUPER tempted to jump on the ATIV SE. To me the brushed aluminum look was very classy, and it felt like a solidly built device (no flexing or creaking). Just as solid as the Icon.

I doubt it. Wouldn't we have hard something by now? Reps usually don't know much so, I would take that would a BAG of salt.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I doubt it. Wouldn't we have hard something by now? Reps usually don't know much so, I would take that would a BAG of salt.

Possibly, but I just figured I'd report what I heard. The Verizon in-store rep was a manager and responsible for putting phones on display. he was putting the ATIV SE out as I was there. He's a big Windows phone guy (owns one personally) which seems rare from most of the stories Ive heard about other locations.

He told me that the HTC sales rep that comes in to update him on new product said "They are working on a new high-end Windows phone. It's definitely in the works" Those were his exact words. he said his rep was last in a few weeks ago and he always bugs him about new Windows Phone products.

Take it for what its worth :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo