Nokia Lumia Icon Vs. Samsung Ativ SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure, just bad at making decisions. I'm leaning toward ATIV for larger/removable battery and slimmer body.

Same here. The SE has nice slim profile. The Icons thickness and width are a turn off for me. Also, the fact that HERE Maps and Drive is free and available on non Nokia Devices make it a bit easier decision too.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure, just bad at making decisions. I'm leaning toward ATIV for larger/removable battery and slimmer body.

I don't think this has been said yet. You can't lose with either device. Both are excellent Windows Phone flagships. They both offer different features for different consumers. I doubt anyone would actually be displeased to be handed either device. You will be happy with either device, especially if you are getting a first Windows Phone.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree with you Ret! We WP users need to stop bickering amongst ourselves. We need to start putting pressure on developers to create apps for our ecosystem. As a gay man, I've been fighting with Grindr to create a version of their app for Windows Phone (to no avail yet). I know MANY homosexual males who would LOVE to get their hands on a Windows Phone but won't make the jump without Grindr. I know that's silly, but it's reality. Not just social apps are need. Banks, organizations, news groups, etc. all create apps for Android and iOS, but not for Windows. When you see a commercial that advertises an app for iPhone or Android but not WP, send them an email! Demand a WP version of their app. That is what I have been doing.

But STOP bickering amongst ourselves about what WP is better. Start bickering with Apple and Google fanboys about what OS is better! United we stand!

techgeek32#WN

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
Possibly, but I just figured I'd report what I heard. The Verizon in-store rep was a manager and responsible for putting phones on display. he was putting the ATIV SE out as I was there. He's a big Windows phone guy (owns one personally) which seems rare from most of the stories Ive heard about other locations.

He told me that the HTC sales rep that comes in to update him on new product said "They are working on a new high-end Windows phone. It's definitely in the works" Those were his exact words. he said his rep was last in a few weeks ago and he always bugs him about new Windows Phone products.

Take it for what its worth :)

I have heard the same thing about an HTC One version for Windows Phone. If they don't change the camera, I still wouldn't buy it.

techgeek32#WN

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
So I had a chance to play with both today at my Verizon corporate store. I was very impressed with the ATIV SE. On the plus side, its MUCH more comfortable in hand than the Icon. the curved corners, slimness, and lighter weight are truly noticeable when holding he device. The squared corners of the Icon bothered me immediately. The ATIV SE screen is very nice, and the camera isn't too bad at all either... in fact, it took better daytime in-store pics in the auto mode than the Icon did.

Only things I didnt like were the fact that the surface of the ATIV SE screen was not as glassy smooth as the Nokia ICON... felt like my finger wouldnt slide well and it was a brand new device just out of box, no one else touched it. (However I was told that could be fixed with a glass overlay or screen protector.) Also, the blacks were deeper, whites were whiter and the colors just popped a tad more on the Icon. Although viewing angles seemed better on ATIV SE (but I look at my phone straight on anyway.)

Outside of those minor details and the fact you cant take full resolution pictures in 16:9 mode, I almost bought one right then and there! I have an 822 with 64GB card and I need the extra storage (Id go over on the Icon if I switched to it and be out of space completely) plus i have 2 extra batteries I have charged with me in case of emergencies with the 822. Heck, there's even a solution from the S4 (that should work) to put a wireless insert attached to the battery that gives it QI wireless charging on the ATIV SE too.

The only thing that stopped me was the fact the Verison in-store rep (who is also a Windows phone fan - he owns a 928) said that the HTC rep that visits his store keeps telling him a new high end Windows phone from HTC is on the way to Verizon! If it's the rumored cousin to the One-M8, I think I can hold off a bit longer. I would guess it wouldn't be until closer to the holidays, or Fall, but my upgrade isn't until November anyway, and Im not sure I want to hop on the Edge plan yet. Outside of that I'm SUPER tempted to jump on the ATIV SE. To me the brushed aluminum look was very classy, and it felt like a solidly built device (no flexing or creaking). Just as solid as the Icon.

I actually own the ATIV SE and the ICON. I have proven that a wireless insert designed for the S4 does work in the ATIV. I have tested with LG, Nokia and TYLT wireless chargers and they all work perfectly. I have also tested my 64GB high speed microSD and it works fine as well. I have to disagree with you about the display versus the ICON display. I have had 5 Icons and all had some sort of defect but every one of them did not do well with whites. Usually they had a pink or yellow hue, but my ATIV SE is almost perfectly white and the colors are much better. The ATIV is also slightly brighter and is readable outside as well. I have also tested the Galaxy S4 battery and it is the same as the ATIV SE, so I can use my S4 external battery case and charger with the ATIV so that I don't have to carry around an external charger. Much easier to just swap out a fully charged battery. That gives me 5200 mah of power that can easily get me through the day while leaving my display on brightest setting if I want. I have already tested the battery life and can get through a full day of heavy use with about 30% left over. I could not make it through a full day with the ICON, plus I had to lug around an external charger or always be near an outlet.

Feel in hand is better with the ATIV, speaker volume is very close to the ICON, call quality and signal strength have been the same for me as well. WiFi signal strength and connection is stable and strong. I have also tested the camera and outside shots on auto settings actually look crisper on the ATIV SE than the ICON. Of course the ICON does a little better with low light shots but the ATIV is no slouch. This is the same camera as the S4. I wish it had 32GB of internal storage but since you can move apps to the SD card in WP 8.1 I am not coming close to using up the internal memory. Listening to music through headphones on both sound equally good. The ICON certainly feels heavier and higher quality of build, but I actually like the feel and thinness of the ATIV over the ICON and now that I have Qi Wireless charging working I would definitely pick the ATIV over the ICON.

Most of the Nokia apps will be available to all Windows Phones through the app store eventually so when the Nokia fanboys use that argument it means nothing. The other advantage for me is that the ATIV uses a Micro SIM so that I can easily swap between the ATIV and my Note 3. The ATIV has a nice led that shows charging status and has software that allows the user to beam photos and docs to Android or other Samsung devices. I don't use the IR blaster, but it is a nice feature that the Nokia doesn't offer. The major issue I have with the ATIV is that the media volume will not stay at 30 which is full volume, so anytime I stream music from Xbox Music I have to turn the volume up. Maybe that will be fixed when Verizon rolls out their 8.1 update. The battery life is pitiful with 8.1 as well. Before updating I would use about 1 to 2% of battery in standby at night and now with 8.1 it uses about 10%. Hopefully that is another fix along with fixing Xbox Music problems that everyone has been documenting in the Icon forum. I would definitely recommend this phone to anyone that likes removable batteries and expandable storage. You will lose nothing by going with ATIV other than using the display with gloves or low light picture taking.

Renigami

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
The dedicated camera button versus the microSD card + possible removable larger battery is the dividing line for me.

(hands on both handsets and both are good devices - with the above point as a dividing line)

Verizon hasn't made it better with a second phone offering upon an ATIV SE purchase either.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Most of the Nokia apps will be available to all Windows Phones through the app store eventually so when the Nokia fanboys use that argument it means nothing. The other advantage for me is that the ATIV uses a Micro SIM so that I can easily swap between the ATIV and my Note 3. The ATIV has a nice led that shows charging status and has software that allows the user to beam photos and docs to Android or other Samsung devices. I don't use the IR blaster, but it is a nice feature that the Nokia doesn't offer. The major issue I have with the ATIV is that the media volume will not stay at 30 which is full volume, so anytime I stream music from Xbox Music I have to turn the volume up. Maybe that will be fixed when Verizon rolls out their 8.1 update. The battery life is pitiful with 8.1 as well. Before updating I would use about 1 to 2% of battery in standby at night and now with 8.1 it uses about 10%. Hopefully that is another fix along with fixing Xbox Music problems that everyone has been documenting in the Icon forum. I would definitely recommend this phone to anyone that likes removable batteries and expandable storage. You will lose nothing by going with ATIV other than using the display with gloves or low light picture taking.

I am curious to what Nokia apps would be coming to all Windows Phones?

As I said in this thread I posted the other day, I sincerely hope this will not happen.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-1-preview-developers/277534-wp-8-1-exclusives.html

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Also, I guess should be happy I manage to convert another Android user to Windows Phone(I am doing good with that....I am having a tougher time converting IOS to Windows phone).

But my Friend has a SE now(despite originally going for the Icon). There was an issue with something with the memory or whatever. I am not sure what was happening but it was telling him he didn't have any memory despite sticking it in the PC and the PC showing there was like 24 GB remaining.

Anyway he went to go exchange for another Icon as He loved the device but they were out of stock,...He couldn't wait and the Icon was out of stock at our local VZW stores in the area, so he decided to go for an SE...much to my chagrin lol

He's liking it, though he says it doesn't feel as Nice as the Icon.

To make matters worse, my boyfriend is considering getting an SE as well now that he is heading back to Verizon and I was like "Uh no lol...owning a Samsung is grounds for a break up"

LOL I think(since they're both on a contract together my friend and my bf) he'll likely get the SE because he does like Samsung(unfortunately) and he doesn't feel like paying the cash for the Icon and they can get the SE for free for him. Though I may just give him the cash and buy the damn phone for him because I don't want him to use an Ativ lol.

That being said, I will admit the IR blaster thing is interesting(if Not a gimmick really). I got to see how it was used with my Friend's SE and I do miss the Samsung Amoled Screens but I also remember Amoled does look nice but it is also nowhere near a realistic POV so it is essentially a lie.

We went out last night downtown and attempted to do photography with his SE and the camera was passable, at best. Though in low light his camera makes me look 3 shades darker than I truly am xD

SO I am disappointed he is using a Samsung and not a Nokia(and annoyed if the bf gets one) but I am glad I managed to convert someone to WP. I suppose that is all that matters, even if his choice of hardware is inferior in my eyes xD

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Also, I guess should be happy I manage to convert another Android user to Windows Phone(I am doing good with that....I am having a tougher time converting IOS to Windows phone).

But my Friend has a SE now(despite originally going for the Icon). There was an issue with something with the memory or whatever. I am not sure what was happening but it was telling him he didn't have any memory despite sticking it in the PC and the PC showing there was like 24 GB remaining.

Anyway he went to go exchange for another Icon as He loved the device but they were out of stock,...He couldn't wait and the Icon was out of stock at our local VZW stores in the area, so he decided to go for an SE...much to my chagrin lol

He's liking it, though he says it doesn't feel as Nice as the Icon.

To make matters worse, my boyfriend is considering getting an SE as well now that he is heading back to Verizon and I was like "Uh no lol...owning a Samsung is grounds for a break up"

LOL I think(since they're both on a contract together my friend and my bf) he'll likely get the SE because he does like Samsung(unfortunately) and he doesn't feel like paying the cash for the Icon and they can get the SE for free for him. Though I may just give him the cash and buy the damn phone for him because I don't want him to use an Ativ lol.

That being said, I will admit the IR blaster thing is interesting(if Not a gimmick really). I got to see how it was used with my Friend's SE and I do miss the Samsung Amoled Screens but I also remember Amoled does look nice but it is also nowhere near a realistic POV so it is essentially a lie.

We went out last night downtown and attempted to do photography with his SE and the camera was passable, at best. Though in low light his camera makes me look 3 shades darker than I truly am xD

SO I am disappointed he is using a Samsung and not a Nokia(and annoyed if the bf gets one) but I am glad I managed to convert someone to WP. I suppose that is all that matters, even if his choice of hardware is inferior in my eyes xD

I don`t see how getting the SE changes much, it`s a good as the Icon as the specs are identical besides the camera and the design itself is very subjective.

Mmazeo

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Dropped in at a Verizon store today to check out both. When I told the sales tool I was just perusing the new Windows phones he literally laughed and said "why???" Then he tried to go into why I should not be looking at them. No support, no apps, usual shtick. Interrupted him and told him to save it, I've done enough research to know what I'm doing.

Anyway, impressed with both. I think I'd prefer the thinner, lighter feel of the SE. But the Icon is very impressive in the hand. Both screens looked great. The pics looked a bit better on the Icon but the lag time is a bit annoying. I've got a tough decision here.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Dropped in at a Verizon store today to check out both. When I told the sales tool I was just perusing the new Windows phones he literally laughed and said "why???" Then he tried to go into why I should not be looking at them. No support, no apps, usual shtick. Interrupted him and told him to save it, I've done enough research to know what I'm doing.

Anyway, impressed with both. I think I'd prefer the thinner, lighter feel of the SE. But the Icon is very impressive in the hand. Both screens looked great. The pics looked a bit better on the Icon but the lag time is a bit annoying. I've got a tough decision here.
To be honest I'm actually waiting to get into a situation like this, want to get into an argument with one of the salesman on which is the better OS (you know just for fun), it would be nice to convert at least that person over to greener side :)

Mmazeo

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Should of told the manager. He is way too biased to be a sales rep.

He was actually a nice guy about it. If he was an a-hole I would've been happy to return the favor. But I did freeze him at one point noting that we've got these two new, beautiful and well stocked devices, it'd be a shame to not get them out there. I think that did get him to reflect for a moment.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
To be honest I'm actually waiting to get into a situation like this, want to get into an argument with one of the salesman on which is the better OS (you know just for fun), it would be nice to convert at least that person over to greener side :)

Did that once. Was in a mall a while back waiting for a friend of mine and a sales guy walked up me trying to sell me a S3 at the time they just came out and after the conversation had him walk away with great respect for my Focus S and looking forward to WP8. You just have to know your stuff...

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
It is not as fun nowadays since WP is picking up some traction as an OS. Now early in the windows phone 8 era it was quite funny to see sales reps try to steer you away from a windows phone.

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Also, I guess should be happy I manage to convert another Android user to Windows Phone(I am doing good with that....I am having a tougher time converting IOS to Windows phone)

Only person I converted from iOS was this cat I met in boot camp, went with the 1020. Other than that they're not budging. Does Apple brainwash these people that they won't even consider another phone?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
See, what some people either don't understand or really minimize is the following point: Apple, Google and MSFT work really hard to lock consumers into their respective ecosystems. So for the average person who has spent money on apps and such, they're not as inclined to switch because they have to find and possible repurchase those apps again. So unless there is a real compelling reason to switch, people entrenched in especially iOS won't do so. Not everyone has multiple phones; not everyone can afford to upgrade every two years either.

I stopped convincing those die hard years ago. I focus on talking to very casual users who don't have that OS investment yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb