Nokia Lumia Icon Vs. Samsung Ativ SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
See, what some people either don't understand or really minimize is the following point: Apple, Google and MSFT work really hard to lock consumers into their respective ecosystems. So for the average person who has spent money on apps and such, they're not as inclined to switch because they have to find and possible repurchase those apps again. So unless there is a real compelling reason to switch, people entrenched in especially iOS won't do so. Not everyone has multiple phones; not everyone can afford to upgrade every two years either.

I stopped convincing those die hard years ago. I focus on talking to very casual users who don't have that OS investment yet.

I stopped a while back myself. People gonna pick what they like.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I checked it out today next to the icon I don't like the build quality feels cheap. It is light tho but I think it's ugly body wise in comparison to the icon

BbJ2leF.jpg

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree. It feels quite cheap and the lightness along with the cheap feel make it feel even cheaper to me imo.

That said, that Screen is beautiful....though other than that, I can't get with SE.
I checked it out today next to the icon I don't like the build quality feels cheap. It is light tho but I think it's ugly body wise in comparison to the icon

http://i.imgur.com/BbJ2leF.jpg

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Mmazeo

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm impressed with both but I have to say, the thinner the better for me everytime. As long as I know the thing is well built and not going to fall apart on me, then it's a no-brainer. Never owned a Samsung but know people that have and they swear by the build quality. Enough for me.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
In reality, the Ativ SE isn't much thinner, except at the very edges. I am still not sure the Icon was the right choice feature wise, but just based on the looks of them in person make it a nobrainer, IMO. The Samsung looks like something that some boring IT guy would get from his company for work. The Icon looks like what the bouncer that would kick that IT guy out from the nightclub he tried to get into on Friday after work would use. :)

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
In reality, the Ativ SE isn't much thinner, except at the very edges. I am still not sure the Icon was the right choice feature wise, but just based on the looks of them in person make it a nobrainer, IMO. The Samsung looks like something that some boring IT guy would get from his company for work. The Icon looks like what the bouncer that would kick that IT guy out from the nightclub he tried to get into on Friday after work would use. :)

It always amazes me how many people on forums and boards argue over things like what their phone looks like or where the provider's logo is located. Who gives a flying #%$#! While looks are always subjective, I can at least see something like cars, clothing, and housing that are visible to the eye 99.9% the time being things that someone takes a little visual pride in. But a 3x5 inch piece of electronics that most people cover in huge clunky cases and keep in their pockets or purses more often than not?

Just think it's hilarious is all. Call me an old IT fart (and I'm sure some of you will) but to me a smartphone is a tool and I look for functionality over pure looks any day of the week. That said, I personally like the looks of the Samsung over the Icon, but if the Icon had an SD Card and removable battery in addition to its already better camera, I would own it already. But it doesn't. I guess some people put a higher priority on what they want their phone to do, now how it looks in a $20 case tucked away in their pocket. As I always say, to each their own.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
@puckcowboy.. am laughing after reading your post. "exactly!" is all I can say. My needs are simple...i don't want to worry about battery life and I want the phone to work great. Couldn't care less what it looks like since the first thing i do is get a case for it. (I have butterfingers when it comes to phones)

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It always amazes me how many people on forums and boards argue over things like what their phone looks like or where the provider's logo is located. Who gives a flying #%$#! While looks are always subjective, I can at least see something like cars, clothing, and housing that are visible to the eye 99.9% the time being things that someone takes a little visual pride in. But a 3x5 inch piece of electronics that most people cover in huge clunky cases and keep in their pockets or purses more often than not?

Just think it's hilarious is all. Call me an old IT fart (and I'm sure some of you will) but to me a smartphone is a tool and I look for functionality over pure looks any day of the week. That said, I personally like the looks of the Samsung over the Icon, but if the Icon had an SD Card and removable battery in addition to its already better camera, I would own it already. But it doesn't. I guess some people put a higher priority on what they want their phone to do, now how it looks in a $20 case tucked away in their pocket. As I always say, to each their own.
Oh I agree that it's not a deciding factor, I was just commenting on that aspect. If everything else evens out in features though, it becomes something to take into consideration.

I also agree about the cases, but I don't use a case. :)

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh I agree that it's not a deciding factor, I was just commenting on that aspect. If everything else evens out in features though, it becomes something to take into consideration.

I also agree about the cases, but I don't use a case. :)

I don't usually use a case either, but only because I keep my phone in my pocket most of the time and there are very few that don't add unnecessary bulk to the phone, thus adding bulk to my pants. Although, maybe I'd have better luck with the ladies if I just slapped an Otterbox on my next phone and kept it in my pocket ;)

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
@puckcowboy.. am laughing after reading your post. "exactly!" is all I can say. My needs are simple...i don't want to worry about battery life and I want the phone to work great. Couldn't care less what it looks like since the first thing i do is get a case for it. (I have butterfingers when it comes to phones)

Thanks for the kind words Mary Beth! Glad I could lighten your day a bit :) So, are you taking the plunge on the ATIV SE? Icon? Or are you going to wait for something else altogether? What phone are you coming from?

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Have been using the Ativ S for about a year. Continues to work like a charm, especially after getting 8.1. Will be looking for a new phone midsummer. I like the idea of the SE because it would feel familiar and by association since my Ativ S has been a winner. I do like the looks of the icon but it's a little "chunky" looking/feeling for me. the ativ just feels better in my hand. I won't get a phone without SD slot, especially since 8.1.

Mmazeo

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Never had a phone with a replaceable battery, and I've only been caught with a dead phone like a handful of times. For those that have had those phones, you carry a spare battery at all times? I don't get it.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Replaceable battery doesn't interest me. If the battery life is not good on a phone I don't need it. Not a " power user" though, so can't comment on why someone would require the replaceable battery option. I do like having the SD card, though.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Never had a phone with a replaceable battery, and I've only been caught with a dead phone like a handful of times. For those that have had those phones, you carry a spare battery at all times? I don't get it.

Yup. Most batteries are pretty small and portable. I always have an extra on me in case of emergencies. I don't always need it, but there are times when Im at an event, out all day, camping, etc and when Im using the phone heavily, Ill need some more juice. Again, doesn't happen ALL the time, but its a nice to have when it does.

chinesepiratefood

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
After waffling back and forth in this thread I decided to get the ATIV. Got it earlier today, and so far I love it. I have no problem with the feel of Samsung phones because even though they are indeed thin plastic I have had very good luck with them in the past in the durability department. No plans to put 8.1 on it until later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077