Nokia Lumia Icon Vs. Samsung Ativ SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ217

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi all. I just got my Icon today. I burnt through the battery life quick with constant use all day haha. I heard that a store nearby has the samsung ativ se so I will stop to look at it. Although I am really liking the Icon, I want to check out the Ativ SE before my 14 day return period is over on my Icon. Basically, either one seems good to me. They both have their pros and cons.

The only thing that concerns me is how the phones feel when I hold them and how easy they are to lug around all day.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi all. I just got my Icon today. I burnt through the battery life quick with constant use all day haha. I heard that a store nearby has the samsung ativ se so I will stop to look at it. Although I am really liking the Icon, I want to check out the Ativ SE before my 14 day return period is over on my Icon. Basically, either one seems good to me. They both have their pros and cons.

The only thing that concerns me is how the phones feel when I hold them and how easy they are to lug around all day.

If that is your main concern, you may like the ATIV SE better. The Icon feels like a brick (literally) with it's more square design and it being a bit heavier. For me, the ATIV SE was much more comfortable to hold, not to mention thinner and lighter. Still, the Icon's camera is rated a bit better in low-light, and I think the screen on it is a little better too.

MJ217

May 1, 2014
Visit site
If that is your main concern, you may like the ATIV SE better. The Icon feels like a brick (literally) with it's more square design and it being a bit heavier. For me, the ATIV SE was much more comfortable to hold, not to mention thinner and lighter. Still, the Icon's camera is rated a bit better in low-light, and I think the screen on it is a little better too.
I really like the Nokia camera. I drained the battery taking so many shots of randoms things all over town. I think the Icon itself is really solid. I had an issue with one spot on the back giving a little flex and a little bit of noise that initially worried me. It still feels solid however, and is pretty comfortable to hold. Both of these phones are 5 inch screens with similar dimensions right?. I believe the Ativ SE is a littler taller, not quite as wide, and a little thinner than the Icon which doesn't seem like that much of a difference. The Ativ SE is quite light though. I will see tomorrow if the Ativ SE is still a comfortable, sturdy phone while being lighter. I do usually do a number on a phone over time so something sturdy would help alot.

By the way, if I do stick with the Icon, and decide outside of the 14 day return to suddenly switch isnt there still the option of that one allowed exchange?Would the exchange have to happen in that 14 day period and be for the same phone?

Oh forgot to add : I really like the Windows Phone OS!. Some of the things that irk me a bit seem to be solved with the 8.1 update so I think my experience will only get better!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I really like the Nokia camera. I drained the battery taking so many shots of randoms things all over town. I think the Icon itself is really solid. I had an issue with one spot on the back giving a little flex and a little bit of noise that initially worried me. It still feels solid however, and is pretty comfortable to hold. Both of these phones are 5 inch screens with similar dimensions right?. I believe the Ativ SE is a littler taller, not quite as wide, and a little thinner than the Icon which doesn't seem like that much of a difference. The Ativ SE is quite light though. I will see tomorrow if the Ativ SE is still a comfortable, sturdy phone while being lighter. I do usually do a number on a phone over time so something sturdy would help alot.

By the way, if I do stick with the Icon, and decide outside of the 14 day return to suddenly switch isnt there still the option of that one allowed exchange?Would the exchange have to happen in that 14 day period and be for the same phone?

Oh forgot to add : I really like the Windows Phone OS!. Some of the things that irk me a bit seem to be solved with the 8.1 update so I think my experience will only get better!
To counter his argument, when my bf had his se, it was quite light but I didn't like the lightness because it made the phone feel cheaper/flimsier(it being Samsung doesn't need more reason)

The icon is not a tank -_-Smh but it does have a little more to it but to me it felt a bit more premium. As I said the light feel of the se makes it feel cheap.

This is coming from someone who rocks a 1520

Camera wise you are much better off with the icon though the se has a decent one

Novron

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
To counter his argument, when my bf had his se, it was quite light but I didn't like the lightness because it made the phone feel cheaper/flimsier(it being Samsung doesn't need more reason)

The icon is not a tank -_-Smh but it does have a little more to it but to me it felt a bit more premium. As I said the light feel of the se makes it feel cheap.

This is coming from someone who rocks a 1520

Camera wise you are much better off with the icon though the se has a decent one

I wouldn't go so far to call an SE flimsy. Flimsy is an Asus transformer tablet. You can put one hand on top, one on the bottom and twist the device. SE doesn't twist. It's a solid build, it just doesn't feel as "substantial" as an Icon. I do like that substantial feeling of an Icon but that's as far as it goes. In terms of practicality, I prefer the SE. I don't feel it in my pants pocket. My Icon feels like an anchor. At work and while exercising, the SE has replaced my iPod touch which would ride in my shirt pocket while wearing ear buds. Icon is way too heavy for that.
The 128 GB goodness is pretty awesome too. Had my Icon filled to within 5 GB of capacity within a couple months. Not even a concern with the my SE. Camera people would prefer an Icon, a media junkie would prefer the SE.

BrooklynGal

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Actually, the rep was busy with other things, such as counting is register cash to start the day. He had other customers who arrived after me addressed before me, so I left. I was running for work.
I'm going to go back to the location where I purchased it.

Last edited:

BrooklynGal

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Brought the Icon back to the Verizon store where I purchased it (which in my opinion has some really good tech people) and voila, the phone is fine. The gel-type screen protector was the culprit, interfering with the sensor to cause the screen to remain dark during calls. The protector was not covering the sensor, but I assume it was too close to it. He gave me a different one to try, which caused the same results. Later today, I'll have to cut some off to help avoid the area near the sensor as best I can.

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Almost decision time and I'm still torn.

Bulky yet classy vs thin yet ugly
32gb vs IR blaster
MS support vs no support

How you figure no support? You know the ATIV S got GDR 1,2,&3 before the Lumias. Firmware and apps regularly updated. Stop with the nonsense ppl.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Almost decision time and I'm still torn.

Bulky yet classy vs thin yet ugly
32gb vs IR blaster
MS support vs no support

Also, I might make a comparison more like:

32gb vs 16gb up to 134GB (with 128gb SD)
Nokia IOS Low Light Camera vs IR Blaster

The classy thing is subjective to me. I think the ATIV SE with the unassuming silver polish is much classier than Icon. Just personal preference.

Mmazeo

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Also, I might make a comparison more like:

32gb vs 16gb up to 134GB (with 128gb SD)
Nokia IOS Low Light Camera vs IR Blaster

The classy thing is subjective to me. I think the ATIV SE with the unassuming silver polish is much classier than Icon. Just personal preference.

I want no part of dealing with an SD card.

Novron

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
There are some minor issues with certain apps in 8.1 and SD cards with the SE. The podcast app nor the Music app will play from SD. Just sits there with a loading screen.
Looks like a soft reset, card scan, and all is good again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss