Thinking of going from Lumia 1020 to 925. Advice please

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi all

I can hear the gasps and frowns from here but let me explain..

Im an amateur photographer, but yet find the 1020 not that great.. for a few reasons:

That 41MPx camera drains battery like mad and as an amateur phtographer MPx on a camera dont mean squat really, all my phtos are taken with the 5MPx setting and i dont really want to make it even bulkier and an extra ?45 for the grip

Whats the battery like on the 925, its awful on the 1020... 12-18 hours.

The 925 now comes with the same Cmera apps as the 1020, so I can make use of those 6 lenses, however the 925 doesnt have the hi res zoom, whats your opinion on the phtos and video quality and has anyone use the pro settings in Nokia camera.

Also what is the internal speaker like for ringtomes.. if i use my own ringtones with Audacity, can they be cranked quite loud without distorting.

But apart from that.. it seems all the same.. or is it?

Dont get me wrong, I like the 1020.. Ide just like something simpler and smaller and more practical

Thanks

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
They're not the same phone to start with.

Nokia Lumia 925 - Full phone specifications

Nokia Lumia 1020 - Full phone specifications

Also for the 1020 you can pick up one of these: Camera Grip for Nokia Lumia 1020 - Overview - Nokia - UK

So saying you're an amateur photographer, meaning you take quick snaps, basically means the 1020 would be pointless for someone who isn't going to appreciate the capabilities of the device. The 1020 takes RAW images. It also has more functions in the camera app.

As for speakers and so on. Unless you buy a new gen of phone they quality of speaker is not that great. Then again, no phone speaker is that great.

If you're after quick snaps then, yes, a 1020 is rather pointless for you and switching to something like the 925 makes more sense. Battery life is always an issue on all smartphones so unless you're happy to carry around a charger you'll be disappointed all the time.

Kacey Green

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
This is why I went ahead and got the 1520, my 1020 is constantly out of space and I need an SD card more than the extra 20 megapixels. And the bigger battery will be nice. The screen is a coin toss, lose some of that color pop, but don't have to worry about screen burn.

Herman Van Der Blom

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
You already gave the answer yourself: ...just like something simpler and smaller and more practical, thats what the 925 is :)
The camera of the 1020 cant be beaten, even the 1520 has a very good camera, but the camera on the 925 is fine. As long as you dont want zooming enabled pictures your fine with the 925.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Agree with the OP re 1020 issues - i negated the battery issue with a ?19.99 Blackberry Q10 charging bundle - and one can get them cheaper if one looks around! That extra battery is slim and light - problem solved for me.

In terms of space: i still cant comprehend the lack of sd. And the ruddy 930 is the same! The 1520 is probably the best alternative - as in the phone with the least compromise... Unless you view the massive screen as an issue. :)

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
My 1020 would last a day and a half sometimes on regular usage and my pictures from it rivaled my T3i sometimes. I now have a 925 because I switched to Tmobile. I miss the camera the most.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi all

I can hear the gasps and frowns from here but let me explain..

Im an amateur photographer, but yet find the 1020 not that great.. for a few reasons:

That 41MPx camera drains battery like mad and as an amateur phtographer MPx on a camera dont mean squat really, all my phtos are taken with the 5MPx setting and i dont really want to make it even bulkier and an extra ?45 for the grip

Whats the battery like on the 925, its awful on the 1020... 12-18 hours.

The 925 now comes with the same Cmera apps as the 1020, so I can make use of those 6 lenses, however the 925 doesnt have the hi res zoom, whats your opinion on the phtos and video quality and has anyone use the pro settings in Nokia camera.

Also what is the internal speaker like for ringtomes.. if i use my own ringtones with Audacity, can they be cranked quite loud without distorting.

But apart from that.. it seems all the same.. or is it?

Dont get me wrong, I like the 1020.. Ide just like something simpler and smaller and more practical

Thanks

Do you mean that because your an amateur photographer and therefor use proper cameras you find the 1020 lacking? I know that a few of my friends who got the 1020 and are photographers find the 1020 to be rather sub par as a camera but very good as a camera phone. They certainly wouldn't use the 1020 for anything serious as it's just not good enough.

I got my 1020 from one of them who then got an Xperia Z1 which they use just for the odd shot here and there. I didn't like the 1020 so I gave it to my wife and I got a 925 which I love. The battery is much better in the 925 even when not taking photos.

Riley2521

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same thoughts. My battery life on the 1020 has been crap so far, and I like the looks of the 925. My biggest concern though is the limitations of the storage and the loss of a GB of RAM by going to the 925. Any other opinions out there?

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Firstly, Thanks everyone for the great advice and input, Much appreciated.

As an amateur photographer, Im not that impresed with the 1020, because I like to have full control of the apature, ISO, optical zoom and Shutter speed, which a small camera like a Nikon, Lumix or Olympus would give me. Nokia really need some work on the Nokia Camera.

After a bit of thinking, it might be a better idea to go up a generation rather than back one, so it may be worth holding out for the Icon here in the UK at the end of May, the 1520 looks great, its just the size of it.... 6" is just Huge.

With regards the battery, I think that might be Lumia Black.. because its quite irratic, it doesnt just die quickly each time.. it seems to have a mind of its own when discharging. for example, there was a fireworks display here 2 nights ago.. I took 15 mins of 1080p video @ 30fps and took 20 shots in Nokia Camera Pro mode and i only use 15%, yet I charged it last night and it went down 20% overnight, yet 3 nights ago it went down 7%, really strange.. and I havent added any apps or play games, so It could be the Black update.

So i might hang on till after 8.1 update in 3 weeks and see what it yeilds with regards battery, camera and overall performance.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again everyone.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

As an amateur photographer, Im not that impresed with the 1020, because I like to have full control of the apature, ISO, optical zoom and Shutter speed, which a small camera like a Nikon, Lumix or Olympus would give me. Nokia really need some work on the Nokia Camera.

After a bit of thinking, it might be a better idea to go up a generation rather than back one, so it may be worth holding out for the Icon here in the UK at the end of May, the 1520 looks great, its just the size of it.... 6" is just Huge.

With regards the battery, I think that might be Lumia Black.. because its quite irratic, it doesnt just die quickly each time.. it seems to have a mind of its own when discharging. for example, there was a fireworks display here 2 nights ago.. I took 15 mins of 1080p video @ 30fps and took 20 shots in Nokia Camera Pro mode and i only use 15%, yet I charged it last night and it went down 20% overnight, yet 3 nights ago it went down 7%, really strange.. and I havent added any apps or play games, so It could be the Black update.

So i might hang on till after 8.1 update in 3 weeks and see what it yeilds with regards battery, camera and overall performance.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again everyone.
id wait for the next series personally or even the 930 ,i love the new design of the 930 as well as the older 920/720 style design
btw just curious,why shift from a 1020 to a 925,isnt it the same phone underneath except for the 41mp sensor of course?are the two that different?battery wise etc?

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again everyone.

I was thinking that is what you meant. To someone like me who just takes photos the 1020 is a fantastic camera but to a photographer the 1020 is just a hyped up camera phone. It does take some great shots thought for a phone.

The 1520 is a big phone but it feels a lot smaller than you would think that a 6" phone would. If you haven't had a 1520 in the hand I would suggest you have a look at one. Also if you like using glance then you need to remember you won't have that on the 930

Marlon Bu

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
As an amateur photographer, Im not that impresed with the 1020, because I like to have full control of the apature, ISO, optical zoom and Shutter speed.
You have full control over ISO, Zoom and Shutter Speed. Maybe you should try Nokia Camera before talking about it?

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
You have full control over ISO, Zoom and Shutter Speed. Maybe you should try Nokia Camera before talking about it?

I think you may be wrong on that. While you have full control over the settings Nokia give you on the phone the phone does not have the full range of settings a real camera has.

yehuda92

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
wp_ss_20140407_0001.jpg

​Wait.... which setting is Nokia camera missing?

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 61654

​Wait.... which setting is Nokia camera missing?
You can't change features that aren't there is what he is saying. And to address the problem, this phone is more to be a multipurpose tool for photographers who don't want to break their backs carrying their slr or point and shoot on top of their phone. Not a replacement. You can get amazing pictures in most scenarios with no control over those other two settings though.

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
You can't change features that aren't there is what he is saying. And to address the problem, this phone is more to be a multipurpose tool for photographers who don't want to break their backs carrying their slr or point and shoot on top of their phone. Not a replacement. You can get amazing pictures in most scenarios with no control over those other two settings though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly.. Remember that when the 1020 first arrived, it promised everything,. including an updated camera app.. but for me, its fallen a bit short. One of the most important settings for any photographer is the Apature or f/stop or how much light the shutter lets in when it opens in accordance with the shutter speed and ISO. The 1020 has a fixed f.2.2 apature lens and being able to adjust that, can help with lighting and noise reduction in a photo, also it would be nice to have a bit of control over the MPx, such as 5, 8, 13, 20, 24, 34, which can help with the focus and noise as the 5MPx can seem massively over-sampled at times and the only way to reduce the noise is to take a huge 10MB 34MPx shot.. why, when a 12MPx may do, plus the 1020 lacks an Optical Zoom. Also, shooting video in Nokia Camera at 1080p @ 30fps.. causes massive focus and re-focussing as well as stuttering after 5 mins.. hense, the Nokia camera needs some work.

But as Ive already said, Im looking at a small DSLR now.. so the above will be solved, but ill check out the 1520, and have a go of it n my hand, see how it feels.. I know on screen they can look disceptively massive, but like I said earlier, Ill move forward rather than back.

Thanks

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
But as Ive already said, Im looking at a small DSLR now.. so the above will be solved, but ill check out the 1520, and have a go of it n my hand, see how it feels.. I know on screen they can look disceptively massive, but like I said earlier, Ill move forward rather than back.

Thanks

I think the 1020 is best suited to someone like myself for whom the camera is more than capable for the lack of skills I have in photography, even too much so. However to someone like yourself that knows how to use a proper camera it is quite limited in its ability.

Goodeye

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I got the 1020 the day it came out and picked it up at the Microsoft store. I love that phone. Then I drank some stupid Apple Koolaid and got the 5S. I regret having done that all now. I did end up switching from ATT to T-Mobile (did the ETF payout deal). I now have the 925. I love the 925 however, I would be lying if I said I didn't miss my 1020.

JOHN Smith88

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I was in the same spot as you can't decide which one to get 1020 or 925 . Didn't like the camera Bludge on 1020 so decided to get 925 .
If I don't like it , I can always sell it . 1520 is nice but its too big ..

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb