Nokia Lumia 630. A step backward?

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
a simple test to check which phone is better. Play subway surfers on lumia 525 and then play it on moto g and the winner will be lumia 525 for sure :amaze: this will clear everyones doubt which phone is better.

actually in this case both will perform equally unless u wait 2-3 months then the moto g will have lag issues and will have trouble with games
but not directly out of the box

lkishor

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
And what about moto's gps offline navigation?
GPS is what i am worried of in Lumia 630, coz it too just have A-GPS, means u wont find your location if u are offline, checked it on developer.nokia.com, in the list of sensors, GPS is missing.

Last edited by a moderator:

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Now this title fits it.even its predecessor lumia had offline GPS.shame on you Nokia.cost cutting king.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Here's what developer.nokia.com has for 520:
A-GPS
CellID
GLONASS
GPS
SA-GPS
WiFi positioning

And for 630/635:
A-GPS
CellID
GLONASS
WiFi positioning

But I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that there's really a difference.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
GPS is what i am worried of in Lumia 630, coz it too just have A-GPS, means u wont find your location if u are offline, checked it on developer.nokia.com, in the list of sensors, GPS is missing.

Ehm, no.

A-GPS is the full GPS system + some cell tower related magic to improve positioning information in weak GPS signal areas. Any smartphone that has A-GPS, also has GPS. The OS may not use it, but the hardware is there.

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
IMO, they should only release a budget device alongside a flagship and a niche devices, that way they could update each devices more easier.
The budget device would cost around $150, have a build quality of a 720, similar screen size with the iPhone, have 512mb ram, FFC and Flash. Then a flagship device with 2GB ram, and the flagship stuffs.

Now tell me my idea is a bad idea. Having options is a good thing. But to have a device for every category is better than the mess we have now.

lkishor

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Now this title fits it.even its predecessor lumia had offline GPS.shame on you Nokia.cost cutting king.

welcome back brother you are back to shame on nokia, even if it doesn't have a dedicated GPS sensor, it has HERE maps, which lets u download complete offline map data, so the data charges won't go high on your pocket...

lkishor

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Ehm, no.

A-GPS is the full GPS system + some cell tower related magic to improve positioning information in weak GPS signal areas. Any smartphone that has A-GPS, also has GPS. The OS may not use it, but the hardware is there.

just confirmed on Wikipedia, i suggest u to check once there or on any tech site u follow, it states what i mentioned above.
GPS+A-GPS is best

A-GPS fast but only when a internet connection is available

GPS slow but without a internet connection

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Ya I own lumia 820. I now about that poor battery which will drain in no time if u use the phone as smartphone if u don't use it heavily just for calling texting music it will sail you through 2 days with very minimal use.but if u do gaming or anything related to internet u will drain it in 4 hours on screen.so it is battery weak smartphone.

Maybe you should get yourself a gameboy...kids always complain about games. I'd you are older, you will use your phone normally and everything will be fine

- Tapatalk -

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
just confirmed on Wikipedia, i suggest u to check once there or on any tech site u follow, it states what i mentioned above.
GPS+A-GPS is best
A-GPS fast but only when a internet connection is available
GPS slow but without a internet connection

Okay, I see now why you are confused:

1. According to Wikipedia, smartphones do exist that support location services based solely on A-GPS.
  2. As you stated, the Lumia 630 spec sheet mentions A-GPS but not GPS. You are (understandably) misinterpreting this to mean it doesn't support the later.
However, if you carefully read the Widipedia page you mentioned, you'll notice it partially contradicts itself on this issue.

From a very technical point of view, you are correct. Spec sheets really should list both A-GPS and GPS, but very few do. The industry has long adopted the practice of just mentioning A-GPS, which is implied to mean it also supports GPS. Simply looking at Nokia's other spec sheets already gives you a good hint. Not a single Lumia spec sheet explicitly mentions GPS support. The Lumia 930, Lumia 1520, and the Lumia 925, no, none of them explicitly mention GPS support, only A-GPS. Yet, all of them include a fully functional GPS unit. The same is true for the Lumia 630. The spec sheet may only mention A-GPS, but it supports GPS too, just like the others. How do I know?

Many, many reasons. Here are just three:

1. The WP hardware chassis spec mandates that every WP device include a fully functional GPS unit. OEM's may not legally build a WP device without one.
  2. The Lumia 630 is based on the Qualcom MSM826 SoC. Qualcomm's spec sheets and even their press release explicitly mention GPS support for that SoC!
  3. Websites that are geared towards the more technical minded users actually do list both GPS and A-GPS for the Lumia 630 (for example here), but like I said, sites that care that much about technical correctness are very rare. Even OEMs think that level of detail is more likely to confuse consumers then help them.
In summary, the Lumia 630 does support GPS and A-GPS, just like every other WP device ever built.

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
The Nokia 930 specifications also don't list GPS separately. Maybe WP8.1 just simplified the sensor attributes so that GPS isn't listed twice? That seems more likely than a basic feature being removed...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The Nokia 930 specifications also don't list GPS separately. Maybe WP8.1 just simplified the sensor attributes so that GPS isn't listed twice? That seems more likely than a basic feature being removed...

All explained in the post directly above yours ;-)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro