Hands On Time with a Lumia Icon Today

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Had some hands on with a Lumia Icon in a Verizon store today and I though I would share my experience.

Design: Very nice build quality, outside of the HTC One (M8) one of the best 5 inch phones I have ever handled. Very premium feeling. I will say it is boxy because of the squarish design.

Performance: I know in store display device can vary compared to OOB. But, it felt very fast and capable, opening and closing apps was very quick and the VZW store is in a very good LTE area.

Size: It actually was not that bad. I have smaller hands so its kind of big. But not bad at all. Because as of right now, WP is more swiping and that's not hard. It actually is not bad too use one handed.

Overall: Very surprised, very nice device and changed my mind about its size. I was already thinking of saving up some money for one, now I think I really am going to get one by the holidays. HERE Maps is not bad at all. It gave good directions to my college using the highway I use the most (FWIW: I live in ATL and I prefer I-85). I have looked at the app situation and its much better and if I had too switch I wouldn't miss anything really besides a mobile nations forums app :p.

Mmazeo

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Went and checked it out recently also. Overall I'm extremely impressed, except for one issue I keep coming back to. The lag time when taking a picture was very concerning. I cant believe such a high end phone in this day and age would have the lag time I saw.

Isn't that annoying Icon owners?

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Went and checked it out recently also. Overall I'm extremely impressed, except for one issue I keep coming back to. The lag time when taking a picture was very concerning. I cant believe such a high end phone in this day and age would have the lag time I saw.

Isn't that annoying Icon owners?

Not all the time, but yeah. Depends on the situation. Action shots are tough and I sometimes miss stuff by a second. Using the focus before you're ready to snap the picture helps. I tap the screen instead of pressing the camera button halfway. It takes good pictures, especially outdoors. Video is very good, too.

Last edited:

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I had second thoughts on video after seeing this:

But pictures I think it is better:

It's a known issue that the Icon and 1520 take pretty crappy video (same camera) especially in low light. Hopefully the Lumia Cyan firmware update addresses these issues.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
It's a known issue that the Icon and 1520 take pretty crappy video (same camera) especially in low light. Hopefully the Lumia Cyan firmware update addresses these issues.

I hope so too, I'm still on the fence over this and the M8.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

jdfry15

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the fence with the icon as well. I have the m8 right now and a little tired of android ready to try something different. The icon looks great and with 8.1 videos I've seen look really slick. The m8 is great, but the specs from phone to phone on high end android leave little performance upgrade from previous devices. The icon looks great, the email app looks beautiful, just don't know if it has the function that I'm used to.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the fence with the icon as well. I have the m8 right now and a little tired of android ready to try something different.
This was my situation only I had the M7 and the M8 was right around the corner from being released. I was deciding on waiting for the M8 or going with the icon. What sold me on WP was my surface2 tablet. I thought having this functionality on a phone would be sweet. Very glad to have transitioned from android to WP. The icon seems to be a really solid device with very few issues if any that bother me anyway. The icon is a well built and very solid device. I put a nice matte finish shell case on the phone which only covers the sides and back. A very minimal cover that leaves the beauty of the icon exposed while softening the square-ish corners. I thought I'd try it as I had two weeks to see if I liked it. After the first day I put my M7 up for sale. There was no going back for me and no better device than the icon for now. I think you'll like it. 8.1 is the sugary coating right around the corner

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the fence with the icon as well. I have the m8 right now and a little tired of android ready to try something different. The icon looks great and with 8.1 videos I've seen look really slick. The m8 is great, but the specs from phone to phone on high end android leave little performance upgrade from previous devices. The icon looks great, the email app looks beautiful, just don't know if it has the function that I'm used to.

The icon looks enticing and WP8.1 looks good, but I don't know if all the functions I use day to day are there on WP right now. How you have a M8 and tired of it already? That's one of best phones of this year. I saw one in store the other day and it has not left my mind since. The M8 and the Icon both have my eye.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
The icon looks enticing and WP8.1 looks good, but I don't know if all the functions I use day to day are there on WP right now. How you have a M8 and tired of it already? That's one of best phones of this year. I saw one in store the other day and it has not left my mind since. The M8 and the Icon both have my eye.

get a wp imo you will fall in love with WP plus u already have two droids to fall back on incase u dont like it
its worth a try
incase you arent sure, get a cheaper wp like a 525 or a 520 and once u have the hang and feel of it ,upgrade to a better one

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas