PMA charging glitch

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
So, I just got a black 1520 32GB from AT&T. Having used Qi charging on the 920 for several months, I decided to order the Incipio PMA charging cover. I also got a PowerMat charger. So here's my issue. I can lay the phone on the charger and it will start charging. However, if I take it off, the phone doesn't recognize that is no longer being charged. It doesn't matter how far away I take it from the charger or if I unplug the charger or even if I plug in a USB charger and unplug it, it has no effect whatsoever and just shows that it is still charging. The only way to fix it is to either power cycle or soft reset the phone. Any ideas here? I checked to see if there were any phone updates as well as system app updates and everything is up to date.

Maaz

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I would try a soft reset, i dont have the pma but sometimes my 1520 won't recognize its plugged into the charger and takes a minute or 2, sometimes i need to reboot to get it to charge.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
A soft reset will fix it until the next time I put it on the charger again. I also tried re-seating the PMA charging cover a few times thinking that maybe the pins are not lined up exactly right. If I pull it completely off, it does recognize that it is no longer being charged but it's a pain to snap the phone in and out of it. Maybe the 8.1 update or the next firmware update will fix it; who knows.
We get a half-baked wireless charging solution here and I don't particularly care for the cover either so I'm a little disappointed; if they wanted to switch to PMA it should have been built in.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Maybe the case itself?? I've heard that some of the mats if you don't have the phone just right it won't charge.

Yea I agree idk why att had to go the pma routes and force you to use a case that doubles the bulk and thickness of a phone.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I typically put a case on my phones anyway, but would have preferred to be able to use something nicer and/or a different color. In any case, I discovered that if I charge the phone for hours overnight and it is fully charged, it will realize that it is no longer being charged. If I put the phone on a the charger for a few minutes and take it off, it will think that it is still being charged unless I power cycle, soft reset, or take it out of the cover. Pretty strange, but I tested the theory twice last night and both times it worked when it was on there for longer and fully charged so if that is the case then it is a bit more tolerable since I typically use the wireless charger overnight only. It's more for convenience so that I can lay it on there in the dark without having to get up to find the cable.

bassoprofundo

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I have exactly the same issue and posted a thread about it already. Had it on both my original and RMA-replaced 1520. I've already exchanged the case with Incipio, too. So... 2 cases, 2 phones, same issue. Only thing I haven't tried replacing is the Powermat. I've just gone back to USB as everything else on the phone works perfectly. :(

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I have exactly the same issue and posted a thread about it already. Had it on both my original and RMA-replaced 1520. I've already exchanged the case with Incipio, too. So... 2 cases, 2 phones, same issue. Only thing I haven't tried replacing is the Powermat. I've just gone back to USB as everything else on the phone works perfectly. :(

Interesting. I couldn't see the PowerMat being the issue if it is not in contact but I suppose anything is possible. I won't waste time trying to get the phone or case replaced then. Considering it seems to be okay if I leave it on overnight and take it off, I'll just deal with it for now and hope that a future software or firmware update fixes it.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I noticed this, I have 2 Microsoft chargers, 3 HTC 2 Motorola and 3 LG chargers, I only get the pause recognizing its connected to a charger using the Moto or Microsoft charger the HTC and LG ones no matter what it immediately recognizes when I plug it in, 50% of the time with the Moto or ms charger it takes it a minute or I have to power cycle.

elvandar

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I never had this issue on my first 3 1520's (yes, it's been replaced 3 times now). My fourth one now has this issue. Just let it charge fully on the powermat overnight and it won't have that problem from what I've seen but still kinda annoying

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I just got my PMA charging plate and my does the same thing. If I take the case off it still shows it is charging, but when I put it back on it stops. I am not a fan of PMA, all the cases I have seen, not just the 1520, seem much thicker than the Qi.

Edit
I actually tested this again, if you take the case off it will stop showing it is charging after about 10 to 15 seconds. I think the issue has to be the PMA case.

Last edited:

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I am wondering if people are still having the PMA charging glitch, I still have it occasionally, but it is happening less. I know there was nothing done to my phone to change this, I am wondering if it will fix itself with use.

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Mine shows the charging symble, but not for very long, once I wake it, it goes away...

For some of us it continues to show. I am actually wondering it is the charging pad, I can get it to behave properly sometimes. My pad chirps when I put the phone on it or take it off. Sometimes I get a double chirp taking it off. If that happens I know that I will have the charging symbol continuing to show until I restart my phone. If I pull it straight up quickly, it will sometimes behave normally, the charging symbol disappears.

I have a charging pad I got off eBay that was originally designed for a case that went with the iPhone 3G

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a charging pad I got off eBay that was originally designed for a case that went with the iPhone 3G

The one I have I bought off ebay with the case, but it is a duplicate of the one you bought that came with the iPhone3 case, as a matter of fact I have that one I bought from the same person at work. Both work the same way, I never really bothered to check if the symbol was still there or not.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Interesting; I got mine off of eBay as well. If the charging pad is at fault, I would be willing to try another one. I am still having the problem where it shows it is still charging or plugged in, and as pvcleave stated, I can get it behave properly sometimes but most of the time I still have the problem though if I leave it charging overnight I am less likely to have the problem when I take it off in the morning although sometimes I still do. I also updated to WP 8.1 and did a hard reset and neither one changed the behavior.

elvandar

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
its not the pad or case, its the phone. i had mine warranty replaced for an unrelated reason, and now it doesn't have the problem anymore. same case, same pad

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
its not the pad or case, its the phone. i had mine warranty replaced for an unrelated reason, and now it doesn't have the problem anymore. same case, same pad

Someone else (bassoprofundo) posted that he had both the phone and the case replaced and still the same problem. I think the problem may be more complicated. But here's the thing. It's an old charger I got off of eBay, originally designed for a case that went with the iPhone 3GS, (like pvcleave posted). It's a smaller charger and a bit of pain to set it on just right because the phone is much bigger than the charger. Since it is designed for an older iPhone case, it's likely a few years old and may not be sending a proper signal when disconnected. It's just a theory. So I decided to order the Duracell charger which is what the Incipio charger is designed for. It's $35 on Amazon (or $50 from Microsoft), 2 phone version since the 1520 is a large phone, I'm willing to give it a try to see if it helps. Worse case scenario I have an extra charger that I can either keep or return and both the Incipio case and the 1520 are under warranty so I can have them replaced if necessary.

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I ordered a Duracell one also, I will receive mine tomorrow. However, if that does not solve the problem I will be on the phone with AT&T until they fix it. They want PMA, they can make it work.

phiresun

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm puzzled to hear you having this problem. I have used the PMA and Duracell mat since February. I don't experience that problem. The longest my charging icon persisted was about 30 secs. Too long I thought. But once the screen saver activated or Glance the battery indicator would be normal. The only issue I have is the alignment of the phone on the mat sometimes to register the charging light and chime. I am on WP8.1 now and it still is working correctly.

No answer here just wanted to express the behavior you are experiencing isn't normal. At least from my perspective.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I ordered a Duracell one also, I will receive mine tomorrow. However, if that does not solve the problem I will be on the phone with AT&T until they fix it. They want PMA, they can make it work.

I received my Duracell charger today. No luck here. Even after 5 minutes of removing it from the charger, the phone continues to think it is still charging. It's also a little annoying to use as the phone has to sit either too high or too low on the charger in order for it charge; Qi on my old 920 worked so much easier and I didn't ever have any problems with it. Let me know if you have any luck with yours and if not, what solution AT&T offers, if any.

For anyone whose is working properly, are you using the 32GB 1520? I'm thinking it might be a defect in the 32 GB version; maybe the 16 GB works properly? Maybe a firmware update might fix it? I'm hesitant to try to exchange my phone right now because 1) Others have and it did not fix the problem and 2) I have 8.1 DP installed and don't feel like trying to flash it back to 8.0 to avoid a potential warranty issue (The problem isn't 8.1 related as it did it before I updated).

I'm not opposed to using PMA instead of Qi but it really needs to work correctly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb