Lumia 1520 on 8.1, everything has changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Dear fellas,

I'll keep it short, but I have just finished downloading the 8.1 update on my Lumia 1520, and while it's amazing, I couldn't help but notice all the changes and the new scaling made for this device specifically. To keep it short: everything is smaller now, the status bar, the keyboard, text all around the OS, etc. At some places, I felt it was a little too much, but I don't know, does anyone think the same?

FYI, the things I am talking about doesn't change when you scale up text in the ease of access.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Dear fellas,

I'll keep it short, but I have just finished downloading the 8.1 update on my Lumia 1520, and while it's amazing, I couldn't help but notice all the changes and the new scaling made for this device specifically. To keep it short: everything is smaller now, the status bar, the keyboard, text all around the OS, etc. At some places, I felt it was a little too much, but I don't know, does anyone think the same?

FYI, the things I am talking about doesn't change when you scale up text in the ease of access.

Yeah I made a thread about this. It does kind of bother me as the scaling of things seems so small.

I wonder how it looks on smaller screen devices.

snimaster

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Agreed just updated mine, I don't like the scale size change, hopefully they will give us an update in the future or allow us to change the size

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm in agreement at the moment.

It's going to take a lot of getting used to everything being small again - but maybe it will help when we go back to smaller screen devices! My first impression was most definitely "my god everything is tiny".

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
It means fonts are scaling properly now, and that's good news. But the bad news is that Lumia 1520 have a 1080p resolution on a 6" screen.

The 1080p resolution was originally designed for 24" (or so) screens. Naturally enough, if system fonts scale "properly" then it will look really small on a 6" screen. But that's not a big deal, a small App, or the WP-development team, can easily provide a function for scaling all system fonts.

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
You know what the worst part is? Try calling someone and look how stupidly large are the call buttons. This doesn't make any sense!

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
It means fonts are scaling properly now, and that's good news. But the bad news is that Lumia 1520 have a 1080p resolution on a 6" screen.

The 1080p resolution was originally designed for 24" (or so) screens. Naturally enough, if system fonts scale "properly" then it will look really small on a 6" screen. But that's not a big deal, a small App, or the WP-development team, can easily provide a function for scaling all system fonts.

Yes, but we are using a limited number of devices, it's not the same as it is in the PC scene. They should have optimized this better for the 1520.

BTW, the Lumia icon is still 1080p but from videos I can see that it remained untouched. I don't know why this happened to the Lumia 1520 alone.

Iki Taba

May 29, 2013
Visit site
So far the only thing that bothers me estheticly is that on the left and right side is more space than before. What I mean is the boarder between the tiles and the end of the screen is bigger than before left and right. So far that's the only complaint.

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
So far the only thing that bothers me estheticly is that on the left and right side is more space than before. What I mean is the boarder between the tiles and the end of the screen is bigger than before left and right. So far that's the only complaint.

Yes, I noticed that as soon as my device turned on. Really annoying.

Did you notice any changes in scrolling too? Not talking about sensitivity stuff, but rather the animations?

Iki Taba

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I noticed that as soon as my device turned on. Really annoying.

Did you notice any changes in scrolling too? Not talking about sensitivity stuff, but rather the animations?

Yes there is no bounce effect on the home screen when you scroll down to the end, I think it was there before.

Iki Taba

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Another thing. When you try to unlock the device with the button it's lagging a second or two before the screen turns on.
And the touch screen problems are still present. Hmm.

Last edited:

Spongers8X

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Please try to remember that this is the OS only, not any specific firmware changes from Nokia. When this actually is released for this phone, these issues may get corrected/updated. This only a base OS designed to be suited for all devices generically.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I wonder is it because our phone is much bigger...meaning when the Official update comes out, our OS update will make the text larger for us?

Whereas 4-5 inch devices are more or less comparable so it likely doesn't affect them as much as us with 6 inch devices.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Please try to remember that this is the OS only, not any specific firmware changes from Nokia. When this actually is released for this phone, these issues may get corrected/updated. This only a base OS designed to be suited for all devices generically.

This...Nokia may still optimize the OS for each of the phones. But honestly, I don't mind the smaler notifications on the top (I have good eyesight...and prevents others from easily reading my notifications), and I don't notice a change in the keyboard...but I LOVE the word flow typing thingy...awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett