PSA - Forced Hard Reset from a Hung Phone:

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
FYI:

I'm seeing a number of posts here, on Twitter, and elsewhere in which Windows 8.1 Phones are hanging or BSOD'ing on a restart or after a hard reset (Happened to me as well). Fortunately in most cases a Forced-Hard-Reset after a full power-off seems to be fixing the issue. In case you run into this here is how it is done:

1. Turn your Lumia 1520 off.
2. Press Volume DOWN and keep pressing it while you connect the charger until you see an exclamation mark!.
3. Press - in this order - Volume UP - Volume DOWN - POWER - VOLUME DOWN.
4. Your phone will reset and reboot. Reset could take a while, be patient.

And remember, if MS though the product was ready for prime-time, it wouldn't be a Developer Preview... :cool:

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
This is one reason why I'm refraining from upgrading to 8.1 until the official OTA update.

:grincry:

I'm a big believer that when an organization or person calls something a Beta, a Preview, a Release Candidate, etc... it should ALWAYS be treated as a live grenade. I don't ever get mad at them if it blows up in my face and I always see the effort to fix or correct something as the learning-experience-for-all that it is. For me I made this part of my career many, many, moons ago so diving right in is irresistible.

I wouldn't ever fault anyone for waiting until the smoke clears however.

adityasrv

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
thank you... I faced problem in the Ease of access settings, turning on the narrator made my phone unresponsive. BTW is there any place where i can report this error?
I use nokia lumia 620

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
thank you... I faced problem in the Ease of access settings, turning on the narrator made my phone unresponsive. BTW is there any place where i can report this error?
I use nokia lumia 620

Yes, MS set up a discussion forum yesterday that they are monitoring:

Msdn forums - Windows Phone Preview OS Issues

In typical MS fashion, people can vote on the seriousness of an issue, and right now great answers are a little spotty, but the feedback I got from MS Phone Support is that they are definitely looking for trends in that discussion area. From what I've seen there are a lot of odd issues that tend to be fixed (at least for now) by doing a factory-reset. It's understandable as it the classic "take two aspirin and call me in the morning" solution. :eck:

Last edited:

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
FYI:

I'm seeing a number of posts here, on Twitter, and elsewhere in which Windows 8.1 Phones are hanging or BSOD'ing on a restart or after a hard reset (Happened to me as well). Fortunately in most cases a Forced-Hard-Reset after a full power-off seems to be fixing the issue. In case you run into this here is how it is done:

1. Turn your Lumia 1520 off.
2. Press Volume DOWN and keep pressing it while you connect the charger until you see an exclamation mark!.
3. Press - in this order - Volume UP - Volume DOWN - POWER - VOLUME DOWN.
4. Your phone will reset and reboot. Reset could take a while, be patient.

And remember, if MS though the product was ready for prime-time, it wouldn't be a Developer Preview... :cool:

Thanks, I subscribed to this thread, because I always seem to forget the sequence on how to do that. Personally I think the first part should become a sticky.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720