Who's using the extra tiles??

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 920 and I'm using the extra tiles. Small apps are now really small, but it works fine for me. The main reason I have chosen for this is the design options. It adds something extra to my start screen. I always found two rows too small. Large tiles took the whole width of the screen. With the extra row I can add more creativeness in the design of my homescreen without risking that it looks 'a bit boring'.
Same here. I like the extra tiles on my 920, even though I use a lot of small tiles.

officially_juju

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I tried it for a few hours but went back to the normal layout. With a bigger screen it would be a no-brainer for me but on my 925 the little tiles didn't look right.

Meagey

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I use mostly the medium tiles, small ones on apps I use rarely and one big just as a filler ha, but looks awesome to me

Reui

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm loving the extra tiles. I use the smallest tiles for the less informative apps but is always in used, medium for nice looking icons and where Notif count is a must, large tiles for messaging and emails. 3 Medium tiles lined up in a row looks pretty too. I feel much organized now that I see all tiles in one glance.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a question as someone who is waiting for the official 8.1 release instead of updating via the developer preview... Is it possible to go back to the normal amount of rows in tiles after you've used the extra ones? I'm afraid I'll probably find the extra tiles too odd.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I have a question as someone who is waiting for the official 8.1 release instead of updating via the developer preview... Is it possible to go back to the normal amount of rows in tiles after you've used the extra ones? I'm afraid I'll probably find the extra tiles too odd.

Yeah, the feature is a simple toggle switch. :)

Rem97

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, you can toggle it on and off as much as your heart desires. :)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the extra tile column and the background a few days now...

Everything is smaller, but not so bad that the 1x1 isn't usable or text can't be read. I'm a bit older and use "cheaters" for dedicated reading time. The 925 has great clarity and the screen resolution is pretty high at 332ppi. I can see what I need to see without my reading glasses. I haven't missed a tile yet and opened a neighboring one by mistake.

My verdict: I love it. One of the strengths of Windows Phone that I always espouse is how the tiles put the things that you use right out front for quick access and the live tiles bring so much info to you at a glance. It's more of what I love about the OS so how could I not embrace it.

I'd say anyone with a 4.5" or higher screen that is pushing a lot of ppi should definitely take a few days to get used to it before deciding if the new layout is right for them.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I did it on the 8x and now my 925... So far, the tiles are perfect for the things I want a count on, but don't need a name on... They really remind me of my old 'BlackBerry' Themed icons. The little tiny ones on the Today screen that got the little red * over them when something new came in. I like it since I really just want to see when something new comes in but don't need to know what it is.

Currently I have a row of 6 emails - which I tried the linked inbox feature with, but didn't like - so small tiles are great... A row of games... and a row of websites...

All of which take up way less space, but I still have one click access to them! It's a perfect solution!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I used Cortana to find my background pic. I asked her for "red leaves" and this was the images result I picked:

178dc2nhqvd2enofg.jpg

I've tried to make this screencap of my tile layout as close to life-sized as I could:

c3zzplcrwvt84eofg.jpg

<edit> Sorry about the size. The original on my screen looks exact. Either my host or this forum is resizing the upload.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
You can switch back and forth. Of course when switching to 3 columns you will have to fill the new blank column with what you want. And when you switch back to 2 columns, the things in the 3rd will have to go somewhere so check into what it does with them (add them to the bottom of the other columns or ???). So as you can see, you can't just jump back and forth instantaneously because of the arranging that has to be done either way.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Wasn't sure about the third row at first.
5 days later I wouldn't have it any other way.

Looks like living with this option has made me a fan.
Now I have a new micro-phablet :cool:

JimWPan

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I have multiple live tiles for many eMails and exchange eMails. The backgound make it reading difficult, I turned it off. The extra tiles make everthing small, not useful unless you're running phatablet. Folder option is nice, cortana was ok as my personal opionon.

Paedin

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Ive always not like the scrolling start screen so I kept my icons to just one screen. I like the ability to now have more of what I want and to have facebook and photo hub as large tiles to utilize the live tile features. Wont ever get turned off back to normal 2 column mode.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I didn't give it enough time, but I just felt it made the tiles to small on my 925. I'm sure its better on larger screen devices like the Icon.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I love the extra row on my Ativ S! With the start screen background and mostly translucent tiles it's just a fantastic look. And not having to scroll on my start screen is great!

Demitel

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
For my L820 it was supposedly decent for my opinion, but it really sucks when you see the text on live tiles having kinda like blurry appearance in it, well for 4.3 inch display with low res. Of 480x800 well i will just accept the fact 😁

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs