Should I format my Micro SD card first before using it on my Nokia Lumia 520?

Kerry Andrews

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Should I format my Micro SD card first before using it on my Nokia Lumia 520? It's a SanDisk card. Did you format yours when you first bought it?

Tribanj

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes, but if you something on your Card, copy it on PC. After format your Card you it can back on your Card. For Windows Phone 8.1 you need have 6, 8 or 10 Class Card. 2 and 4 Class Card not work on Windows Phone 8.1.

Kerry Andrews

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
How will I know whether it needs to be formatted? Will it show a pop-up message of some kind advising me to format the card? Are there options for what type of form to format the card to like FAT32 NTFS etc? Which format should I go for?

unshavengarvit

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Word of advice : There is no need to format the SD card.If you want to format it, then format it.Else, let it be.I've updated my phone 3 times without formatting the SD card and as of now haven't run into any issues whatsoever.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Most; if not all cards are formated when you buy them using the old Windows Fat 32 format so they can be read by most devices.

Tomazon

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but if you something on your Card, copy it on PC. After format your Card you it can back on your Card. For Windows Phone 8.1 you need have 6, 8 or 10 Class Card. 2 and 4 Class Card not work on Windows Phone 8.1.
My card is class 4 and it allowed me to move my Spotify app and saved playlists (1.22 GB). Spotify is working fine with no visible delay. I'm gonna try to move more apps to SD and check if there's a performance improvement/decrease.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077