SD Card Error on 1520

Alpo714

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello WP8 fans!

First off, let me take a moment to say that I've had nothing but great experiences with my 1520 on Tmobile. I love this device!

Here's some background information regarding my device:
Storage Settings: Photos / Music / Videos are set to be stored onto the SD card.
Carrier: Tmobile USA
Lumia Variant: ATT USA Lumia 1520 Red
SD Card: SanDisk MicroSDHC 64 gb (SanDisk Extreme PLUS microSDHC and microSDXC UHS-I Memory Cards)
Duration of SD Card use: 4 months, no known issues

Recently I traveled internationally to Mexico from the USA. When I arrived in Mexico, I noticed that my some of my pictures seemed to be "lost" on the my memory card. Some of the pictures I took when I landed are longer present and basically two whole weeks of pictures on my phone were gone. From the time span of 4/1 to 4/14 (date of the travel). When I rebooted my phone, the following message appeared after booting up. After looking into the forums, I couldn't find much information regarding this issue and I can infer that this doesn't happen very often.

After coming back from my travels, I plugged the SD Card into my computer, and it appears I that all my photos from the past 2 weeks were gone.

I even called Nokia Customer service (which is usually very helpful), and they advised me that this might be a bad SD Card, in which case it should be replaced. If that doesn't solve the issue, try doing a soft reset. Lastly they advised me to do a hard reset if all else fails.

Has anyone else had any similar issues regarding their SD card in the 1520? What did you do to resolve it?

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140411_0001.png
    wp_ss_20140411_0001.png
    90.2 KB · Views: 6

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I would go with the card being flakey. While I've not had any SD Card problems specific to my 1520, I've certainly run into general SD Card Issues similar to what you are having and they don't tend to get better. I personally would no longer trust the card in my 1520.

As for Data Recovery, it is kind of a crap shoot. I've been able to recover data off of failing SD Cards, it typically depends on the card, the software you are using, and a little bit of luck. BTW, If you do decide you want to try and use a Data Recovery Program, DON'T TRY REFORMATTING THE CARD!, just put the card aside until you are ready to make the attempt because failing flash memory is particularly sensitive to read/writes and the more you do so, the more likely there will be less to recover.

Two programs I've used for this that have worked in the past (both cost):

Active File Recovery Active@ File Recovery for Windows detects and recovers lost or deleted files and disks ($44.95 for the version that can rebuild partitions and reconstruct/reorganize files)

FileRecovery Professional File Recovery Software - FILERECOVERY? - Get Your Data Back! | LC Technology International, Inc. ($99.95, if the card can be read, this program can probably get something off of it)

Unless you plan on doing deep recoveries on a regular basis, I'd go for Active File Recovery. My personal experience is it is 90% as good as FileRecovery Pro, doesn't hit you up with any registration BS and doesn't require periodic renewal fees.

There are some free recovery apps out there (and if anyone can suggest one go for it), but I actually do forensic work occasionally so I tend to play with the more full-featured apps as the capabilities are more extensive.

Good luck - Michael

jraad9

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I have had the same problem with the same card in my 1520. Could never get any of my computers or devices to fix the card. Had to chat with sandisk and get a warranty replacement on the card since when this happens the card is basically dead.

Alpo714

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I would go with the card being flakey. While I've not had any SD Card problems specific to my 1520, I've certainly run into general SD Card Issues similar to what you are having and they don't tend to get better. I personally would no longer trust the card in my 1520.

As for Data Recovery, it is kind of a crap shoot. I've been able to recover data off of failing SD Cards, it typically depends on the card, the software you are using, and a little bit of luck. BTW, If you do decide you want to try and use a Data Recovery Program, DON'T TRY REFORMATTING THE CARD!, just put the card aside until you are ready to make the attempt because failing flash memory is particularly sensitive to read/writes and the more you do so, the more likely there will be less to recover.

Two programs I've used for this that have worked in the past (both cost):

Active File Recovery Active@ File Recovery for Windows detects and recovers lost or deleted files and disks ($44.95 for the version that can rebuild partitions and reconstruct/reorganize files)

FileRecovery Professional File Recovery Software - FILERECOVERY? - Get Your Data Back! | LC Technology International, Inc. ($99.95, if the card can be read, this program can probably get something off of it)

Unless you plan on doing deep recoveries on a regular basis, I'd go for Active File Recovery. My personal experience is it is 90% as good as FileRecovery Pro, doesn't hit you up with any registration BS and doesn't require periodic renewal fees.

There are some free recovery apps out there (and if anyone can suggest one go for it), but I actually do forensic work occasionally so I tend to play with the more full-featured apps as the capabilities are more extensive.

Good luck - Michael

Thank you for the detailed response. I will contact SanDisk in the morning to get a replacement card. Sounds like I just might have a defective unit. Thank you for all your help!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium