Phone died/completely unresponsive. Updated to 8.1 two days ago.

threetenfour

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi, all.

So I went to check my phone after class and it is completely dead and unresponsive. I don't know if this has anything to do with the new 8.1 update, but it has been working completely fine these past couple of days. It was working this morning, even!

Normally, what I would do is take the battery out and put it back in to hopefully reboot it, but unfortunately this phone does not have a removable battery. I plugged it into my charger about 15 minutes ago and it's still dead.

Any suggestions?

ArcticArrow

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Dont panic. you can either do a hard reset, I forget which button combination.

If you are worried, just go to Nokia website, there is a live chat function, then you can talk to them to see what's the best way for you

vinscuzzy

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Yep, mine did exactly the same thing yesterday. It was on the charger all night and on my way to work I pulled my phone out of my pocket, and it was completely dead. I plugged it in and it came on saying I had only 2% battery. When I got to work I plugged it in to an ac charger and it it charged to 100% in like 10 mins. It lasted all day from that point without being charged again. I'm thinking something in 8.1 is maybe falsely reporting the battery info.

threetenfour

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Yep, mine did exactly the same thing yesterday. It was on the charger all night and on my way to work I pulled my phone out of my pocket, and it was completely dead. I plugged it in and it came on saying I had only 2% battery. When I got to work I plugged it in to an ac charger and it it charged to 100% in like 10 mins. It lasted all day from that point without being charged again. I'm thinking something in 8.1 is maybe falsely reporting the battery info.

Ah, mine still showed 90% battery when in came to after I restarted it. My sister's 1020 did the same thing this morning, apparently.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Looks like I'll be waiting to install 8.1. I hope the fix is in 8.1 and NOT in carrier specific firmware since that could take a lot longer.

OP, what carrier is your phone from?

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

Id say this is right on the money. This used to happen in the Android community all the time when flashing roms without a full charge. Battery stats get all funky. I was attempting to do a battery calibration on my 8.1 device - I was at 6% waiting for it to die completely when it just shut off. So reporting is definitely messed up. Should be an easy fix. May even be able to fix it ourselves with a few full charging cycles.

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
That was on Android. I certainly didn't have a full charge when going to 8.1 and am also experiencing the battery reporting issues.

If the same logic is to be followed, going to 8.1 with a full charge could very well remedy this. That's my hypothesis at least. I'll give it a shot on another device tomorrow.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

threetenfour

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. Please let us know if it happens again. Maybe it was a one time thing.

I've had to power cycle (via power button + volume buttons) three times today, including the first incident. It's not a battery issue for me. When it boots up, the battery level is what it should have been. I haven't had to recharge it since last night.

Not sure what the cause could be, but I'm thinking it's to do with 8.1 since it hasn't happened to me before with Mango, 7, or 8.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Makes it hard to decide to try 8.1.

Is there a way to go back to 8.0 if someone installs 8.1 and gets tired of any glitches they have?

JimWPan

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I have no issues with 8.1. I updated it on Monday and it does not show any odd behaviors or crashes. I donot have many apps installed and installation doesnot take very long. Cortana is weird and will give wrong results, I turned if off.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Had 8.1 for weeks now on the 925. Zero issues. Guess it depends on what you are doing with the phone or if there might be an issue with the hardware.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786