Just ordered the Nokia Lumia 1320

dpakrr

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I am 920 owner and on the fence for what phone I should get next 1320 or 1520. 1320 offers are tempting but maybe If I wait till next year then 1520 might go down a bit! I love to have that 6 inch screen! surprisingly I want into a local phone shop to look at 1520 but came across 1320 as a pleasant surprise. The only drawback is the camera at 5mp.

Im confused with the battery life as that one of my priorities some reviews show that the battery is not as good as 1520, some show its amazing battery life! I guess its all down to usage!

Any advice for me to jump the fence whichever way!

To be honest it comes down to what you need in a phone and what your budget is. If you have a big budget and are willing to spend the money then there is absolutely no reason why you should buy the Lumia 1320 over the 1520. Some people feel that the rounded design of the 1320 looks better (like myself) than the flat and sharp edged 1520 but I don't think that is enough of a reason to choose the 1320.

The 1520 is better in every way but the reason I chose the 1320 over the 1520 was first and foremost the price. Where I live, the 1520 is almost double the price of the 1320 and for my usage I could not justify this difference.
- aluminium build quality vs plastic matte finish: Matte plastic is my favourite. I am not a fan of the glossy plastic seen in Samsung phones and although aluminium phones tend to be lighter, I do not like the fact that they dent easily when you drop them and I hate how cold they feel in the hands during winter. I guess you could put a case on them but I never use anything apart from a screen protector on phones. Cases kill the design in my opinion.
- 1080p screen vs 720p : Like you may have read in my other post before, I did not need 1080p. Surface RT looks great and is a 10.1" 720p screen. I did not need 1080p on a 6".
- quad core 2.2GHZ S800 vs dual core 1GHz S4 : Windows phone OS has always run smooth. I remember how smooth WP7 was on HTC HD7 which had 1GHz processor and 512MB ram. I know technology has come a long way since then but the 1320 pretty much has double the specs of the HD7 and WP8.1 runs smoothly. Youtube, other videos, news, productivity apps like Office all work without a hitch. I do not play intensive games but I downloaded a few like "Angry Birds Go!" which seemed graphically intense but the phone handled them flawlessly although I did notice the phone heat up a little bit.
- 2GB RAM vs 1GB RAM : Same reason as above
- 32GB storage vs 8GB : Both phones have micro SD card slots. I am someone who streams videos and doesnt take a lot of photos. My music collection isn't the biggest either so the majority of the space is taken up by apps. And with the ability to install apps on a SD card means this is no longer as much of a deal breaker as it might have initially seemed
- 20MP PureView rear camera vs 5MP : Not much of a photo fiend but I can see this being the single biggest reason why people would want a 1520 over the 1320. The 5MP camera on the 1320 is better than decent though and even better than the 8MP on my previous phone HTC One X.
- 1.2MP front camera vs 0.3MP : Same as above
- lighter, thinner, shorter : Not significantly lighter and thinner. Just a tiny bit. So not a dealbreaker again.

As for the battery, i think both phones have the same battery so I don't know where you heard that the 1520 has a better battery life. I guess the Snapdragon 800 could be better optimized than the S4 but the difference shouldn't be night and day given that the 1320 has a lesser resolution screen. Like I said in my other post, I charge my phone every evening but judging by how much battery I have left at the end of the day before I charge it (with 3g on: around 85% on light use and 60-70% on heavy use), I think it will easily last for atleast 2 full days on moderate-heavy use and 4-5 days on light use and forever on standby. And I get this battery life on the developer preview of WP8.1 so it can only get better with the final release.

The only deal breaker for WP is the app store. I was talking to a mate today and he told me that he switched from WP to Android as the banks/airlines and other apps he wanted were not available in the WP app store. While I understand this is an issue, I personally prefer the browser for most of the things he mentioned and IE is solid if not excellent and the big screen just adds to the experience (no more zooming in and out)! Hope this helps in making your decision. I did not intend to be biased towards the 1320. I am just stating my reasons for choosing it over the 1520. It is just excellent value for money but you won't go wrong with the 1520 either :)

Techno-Freak

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
- 32GB storage vs 8GB : Both phones have micro SD card slots. I am someone who streams videos and doesnt take a lot of photos. My music collection isn't the biggest either so the majority of the space is taken up by apps. And with the ability to install apps on a SD card means this is no longer as much of a deal breaker as it might have initially seemed
dpakrr, first of all, thanks for the wonderful review and opinions that you gave earlier to my question. Based on that and a few other reviews online, I finally got a 1320 for around $300. Totally love it, don't regret the decision! :smile:
I also got a Class 10 64GB Strontium Nitro sd card, but it had problems with the 1320. Apps refused to install on the card, and videos had problems copying successfully. After copying, they show a duration of 00:00 and refuse to play.
I would be returning that card, and getting another one.
Wanted to know, which sd card are you using with your 1320?

Sayyid Shoaib

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks dpakrr for the nice advice,

I mainly would miss the pureview camera if I went for the 1320 over the 1520 as I take a lot of snaps of my baby kid growing up.

One more thing, what is the 1320 like for reading books on Kindle app, browsing articles on web using reading mode on WP 8.1 and reading pdf files. Does the resolution affect the sharpness of the text as compared to the full HD experience on the 1520. This is because I read alot on my devices and that again is a major thing for me.

Thanks again for your time,

Much appreciated

:smile:

dpakrr

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
dpakrr, first of all, thanks for the wonderful review and opinions that you gave earlier to my question. Based on that and a few other reviews online, I finally got a 1320 for around $300. Totally love it, don't regret the decision! :smile:
I also got a Class 10 64GB Strontium Nitro sd card, but it had problems with the 1320. Apps refused to install on the card, and videos had problems copying successfully. After copying, they show a duration of 00:00 and refuse to play.
I would be returning that card, and getting another one.
Wanted to know, which sd card are you using with your 1320?

Glad that I was of help and good to know that you like the phone! :)

Hmm I have not experienced any problems with my SD card. You might want to search around the forums to see if someone else has reported a similar problem. Apart from that my suggestions would be:
1) If you have a spare SD card lying around, you can try loading a video onto it and seeing if it works. If it does, then you may need to return your SD card. I have never heard of Strontium Nitro before. Are they good? Personally, I always stick to Samsung and Transcend when it comes to micro SD cards. They have an excellent reputation for good quality SD cards.
2) Although Nokia claims the phone can handle upto 64GB of SD cards, you might want to try a 32GB SD card so that you are not pushing the limits of that claim unless you absolutely need 64GB. Like I said before, I don't have too much media so my SD card is only 8GB. It is a Transcend Class 10 Micro SDHC which I bought from eBay with free worldwide shipping for $6. Works flawlessly.

Transcend Micro SD Micro SDHC Class 10 8GB 8g 8 G GB Flash Memory Card Life Time | eBay

Thanks dpakrr for the nice advice,

I mainly would miss the pureview camera if I went for the 1320 over the 1520 as I take a lot of snaps of my baby kid growing up.

One more thing, what is the 1320 like for reading books on Kindle app, browsing articles on web using reading mode on WP 8.1 and reading pdf files. Does the resolution affect the sharpness of the text as compared to the full HD experience on the 1520. This is because I read alot on my devices and that again is a major thing for me.

Thanks again for your time,

Much appreciated

:smile:

You're welcome Sayyid. Hmm if camera is really a priority then maybe you should really consider the 1520 instead. The 1320's camera is good given the price of the phone especially with the huge amount of control which the Nokia Camera app provides you with and like I said it is better than my previous phone's 8MP camera. Photos look great but obviously when you zoom in they get pixelated due to the low resolution but I am not much of a photographer so I am not exactly the best judge of photos. Maybe you can see some of the photos taken using the 1320 and judge for yourself:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1320/271480-pictures-video-taken-your-lumia-1320-a.html

I have attached some screenshots of my homescreen (blatant ripoff off Dan Rubino's :)), IE browser reading mode and the pdf reader. Personally I was disappointed with the quality of the screenshots. They do not do any justice to how good the screen actually looks in real world use. Like I said in my other post, I have had smartphones for ages but I barely used them for anything apart from texting and music but nowdays with this phone and the extra screen real estate I read and consume media all the time while waiting for the bus/on the bus to work and back home etc. I haven't used a 1080p screen before so I don't know how sharp they are but the text is absolutely clear on this phone. Text is crisp and I could read it from a feet away without any problems and I don't even have the greatest eyes. :)

wp_ss_20140523_0003.jpg

wp_ss_20140523_0004.png

wp_ss_20140523_0001.png

Techno-Freak

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Glad that I was of help and good to know that you like the phone! :)

Hmm I have not experienced any problems with my SD card. You might want to search around the forums to see if someone else has reported a similar problem. Apart from that my suggestions would be:
1) If you have a spare SD card lying around, you can try loading a video onto it and seeing if it works. If it does, then you may need to return your SD card. I have never heard of Strontium Nitro before. Are they good? Personally, I always stick to Samsung and Transcend when it comes to micro SD cards. They have an excellent reputation for good quality SD cards.
2) Although Nokia claims the phone can handle upto 64GB of SD cards, you might want to try a 32GB SD card so that you are not pushing the limits of that claim unless you absolutely need 64GB. Like I said before, I don't have too much media so my SD card is only 8GB. It is a Transcend Class 10 Micro SDHC which I bought from eBay with free worldwide shipping for $6. Works flawlessly.

Transcend Micro SD Micro SDHC Class 10 8GB 8g 8 G GB Flash Memory Card Life Time | eBay

Thanks again! Yes, I ordered a 32GB Sandisk Class 10 card, works fine now! :smile:

Nandakumar Kesavan

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks again! Yes, I ordered a 32GB Sandisk Class 10 card, works fine now! :smile:

Is it Sandisk Ultra Class 10 or Normal Class 10, i have 32GB Sandisk Ultra Class 10 and facing problems, within 3 months i have formatted the SD card almost 5 times, don't know why its happening like this.

Anyone else face similar problem

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss