Bing search keeps popping up and freezing phone

pedalboy2001

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
My 1520 now has the Bing search menu keep popping up. It has dine this now many many times and often freezes the phone on that display. I have had it do this without even touching the screen. Just reading an article and out if nowhere it pops up. The only way to resume is to turn the screen off and back on. Its getting annoying and only seemed to do this after the last update, not windows 8.1, just the last regular update. I also get the screen shaking up and down sometimes and have to turn the screen off then back on. The screen contents will start shaking violently up and down. I have done the soft reboot several times and gone into the Bing settings to turn off the help but it still dies this. I should have never updated this phone. It worked brilliantly before it. What's next, hard reboot?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Backup all your days before doing this. This step will erase your all the content from your phone. Go to phone settings/about phone/tap on ready reset phone.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
You might try a soft reset before going the hard reset hold down volume down and power button until it vibrates and then it will restart. That may cure tour problem or it may not.

mikecferrara

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I also am having this issue since the last update (not 8.1), and it's driving me nuts. I honestly don't think it's hardware related, as some others have noted. The phone was working perfectly, and now I get the bing search popping up randomly, screen freezing randomly, back button activated randomly and just general shoddy behavior. No amount of soft resetting has changed this, so I'm guessing I need to hard reset and restore everything right? I've never done this on WP, so I'm assuming I just need to backup all my stuff via cloud or otherwise and just his reset and restore with my MS account?

Also, I was thinking about putting 8.1 dev preview on to see if that corrected anything. Thoughts?

mikecferrara

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Anyone have anything to add here? Does a hard reset really correct this problem? Trying not to go through with it for no reason if I need new hardware.

augusto dibo

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi All, I am having the very same issue and it has started after the last update, the one before 8.1 Preview. I bought the phone in Jan and it was working perfectly, no issues, nothing. Love it, I will do a hard reset and let you know.

[UPDATE]

I did a hard reset, installing another firmware to my phone.
So far, 24 hours have gone and I had no issues.

. HISTORY
Bought mine from a seller in Amazon in Jan 2014.
I have found it to be a chinese Nokia 1520.1 model.
It worked perfectly, from Jan thru March.
In April I have joined the Preview for Developers program.
I did a firmware update, going from:
RM937_1028.3534.1343.0002_RETAIL_apac_hong_kong
to:
RM937_1028.3562.1402.0003_RETAIL_apac_hong_kong

Then I started to experience several issues:
-Bing search popping up randomly
-Screen and buttons freezing randomly
-Back button activated randomly
-Screen shaking up and down
-WPCentral and Magnify BETA apps judders when scrolling
-Sometimes pressing the X button on the keyboard to go back and delete the dots causes the screen
to resize up, like if going from 1080 to 640 (VGA) on a PC screen. The only way to get out of this is
soft rebooting the phone by pressing volume down and power keys, since the numbered keypad cannot be seen
entirely on screen. Also, for the Screen and buttons freezing, the only way to get out was thru soft reset.

Later in April I have installed the Windows 8.1 Preview.
I was hoping this would fix things up.
However, the above mentioned issues continued.
The frequency of occurrence was about 10 times per day.

I use Glance and Double Tap to wake, since I also use these settings on my Lumia 820 with 8.1 and have no such issues so far.

. ACTIONS/SOLUTIONS
-Uninstall Glance and Touch apps, using the date trick.
Did not worked for me. It has improved though, only 2x a day.

-Hard Reset-
Firstly, I have backed up all data in the cloud.
Secondly, moved all Apps to the microSD card.

Then I have installed firmware:
RM937_1028.3534.1343.0001_RETAIL_eu_euro
This is the same version that came pre-installed with my phone, although the original version was apac region.
It did not solved the problems. I have started to see the back button and Bing search issues right after the installation, during the phone setup tutotial.

I have then installed firmware:
RM938_1028.3534.1343.0001_RETAIL_lta_brazil
I choose this because I live in Brazil.
I was worried, because my phone is RM-937 and could brick. But the installation was fine.
This has actually seemed to have fixed almost all the issues, so far. I say this because I had only one issue during these last 24 hours, which was the screen to resize up, like if going from 1080 to 640 (VGA) on a PC screen. However, it was momentarily and it was fixed after I have pressed the back button.

I am very happy since I am using all the features that I like - including Glance and Touch. All my Apps are back, running from the SD card, although I had to install those again in the phone and move again to the card. Also, the WPCentral and Magnify BETA apps judders/bumps issues when scrolling where all gone, surprisingly. There is a new issue for me, which was an -Audio pop that I have heard in two instances - one while opening the JAZZ Radio app and other just before hitting the answer button to a regular phone call. In the two instances I was using the headphones that came with the phone. However, I did never heard those pops before, since I bought the phone in Jan.

Hope my experience does help somebody. I know it is too early to tell if this has really solved the issues, but the results so far are very good. I will post any news on this front.

The resources that I utilized were:
- NaviFirm+ v3.2
- Nokia Care Suite-Product Support Toll for Store 5.0

v5.1.83.1414
- Tutorial HOW TO DOWNLOAD AND FLASH ALL WP8 NOKIA LUMIA STOCK ROM, by by Anaheiim, on http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2515453

Last edited:

AmandaJones29

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I have been having the same problem with mine. It wouldn't even let me do a soft reset, so I did a hard reset and the phone honestly seems worse (and also apparently really likes music.. the bing search "listening for music" thing likes to come up A LOT now). :unhappy: I'm headed back to at&t to see if they'll do anything........

waljbt

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I personally don't think it's a hardware issue. My phone was running smoothly with no problem at all until the last update of WP8.1 . This is where the symptoms began :(

waljbt

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, maybe the following would be of help to some of you who have the same problem. By the way, a hard reset didn't solve the situation for me. Surprisingly what seemed to work is removing the cover I had on my phone. It's the "two layers" type of cover: plastic shell covered by a rubber layer. As soon as I removed the cover the phone stopped acting weird! Before that, it used to pop up Bing or Cortana anytime without even touching the phone. Type letters on the keyboard (especially enter key and P key), screen used to shake, frequent freezing... I assumed that the cover was applying pressure especially on the right side of the phone (enter, p key and search capacitive key side!). If you have the same problem and are using a cover, try removing it to see if it helps. Again, I hope I helped some of you because I know how frustrating the problem was.

waljbt

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Oh sorry I forgot to mention that now I'm using a cheaper silicone cover (1.99$) I bought online and the phone is working flawlessly.

augusto dibo

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
From my previous post you all can see that I thought it was a firmware issue on my RM-937 White model, since I had it working fine for months after the problems started. By reading the above posts I saw the one which describes the problems seemed to do with the cover utilized. Then I noticed my issues indeed have started after I began to use a phone cover, the one that I describe in this post: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/279262-best-1520-wallet-recommendations.html.

I decided to remove my phone out of the cover and for the first time I realized that while touching the upper left edge of the phone it started to behave as I was pressing the Back soft button. And sometimes it also behaves as if I had pressed the Bing search soft button. I have searched on the WPCentral forums and found several users had the same issue.

I am an electrical engineer and I have decided to open the phone and take a look since this the root cause seemed to be a hardware issue. This tutorial helped me to do that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL2olFpWvB8.

But be warned, this is not for the faint of the heart. Extremely care must be taken and I do not recommed going through this if you do not have the experience. And I have just did this because I have bought my phone in US while on vacation and it was ordered from Amazon, it is an APAC phone. In other words, no warranty in my country and no local Nokia Technical support is available.

Edit: I have just found the Nokia Lumia 1520 Service Manual, which gives many more details for those interested in the guts of the phone: http://ifixit-documents.s3.amazonaws.com/A4uNrXhSheUIDUka.pdf. And the following is an ebay link to buying the board (also called Logic Board): https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...RD-MOTHERBOARD-%2F161330734581&token=k3eeQZGa.

Edit: the board is described by the Service Manual as the Light Swap Package.

Well, if you look the tutorial there is the so called Engine Board. On top of that there is the main processor, which is covered by an aluminum cover, which is soldered to the main board. With the phone turned on, every time I have pressed on this cover or the very near surrounding areas I realized the Bing search popped up and the other soft buttons also behaved as if they were pressed. This board is placed over an aluminum frame and I saw that under the board there were several surface mounted components that could possibly touch the frame when the board is pressed. This is not designed to happen, but it could. If you start to press the board continuously while the phone is on, you will notice that the main processor heats a lot. This may or may not be a normal behavior, but I also saw several comments on the forums about overheating on this region of the phone. Anyway, I have decided to place a thin strips of 3M electrical tape under the board, to act as insulators and cushions, at the same time. Assembled everything and realized that the issues have gone, so far. There are no more Back/Search soft buttons issues when I press on the upper left edge of the phone. I have placed it back to the cover and it is behaving normally. However, the problem can also be related with bad soldering of the main processor. If this is the case, the problem may reapear anytime, and the root cause may just be the overheating, which is not properly being dissipated by the aluminum frame. This would lead to unreliable connection on the processor terminals, which could be triggered by the pressing action. Anyway, time will tell. So, the real fix would be replacing the Engine Board, not the Display assembly, as many thinks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte