What's your Wi-Fi download speed with 928?

jwpear

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not seeing optimal download speeds out of my 928 when connected to wifi. I have a 30 Mbps internet connection. When I test the speed using speedtest.net on my PC, I get 30+ Mbps download. I use the speedtest app on WP and see the same when I test with a Lumia 822 I picked up on ebay. Even my old HTC 8X tests better with about 26 Mbps. However, with my 928, I only get about 12 Mbps. I've tried both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. Have an Apple Airport Extreme. I'm running Lumia Black with WP 8.1 (8.10.12359.845). Firmware is 3051.400000.1352.0058. Radio ver is 2.0.092073.3. Hardware ver is 1.0.0.0. By the way, saw the same with WP 8.0.

Oddly, I get better download speed over the cell connection than I do with wifi.

The 928 is still under warranty, but I hate to swap and get a refurb. Wondering if this is a general issue with the 928 or just my device.

Anyone else tested their download speed over wifi and see lower download speeds?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
These types of tests are VERY subjective. First, we need to make sure we are comparing apples to apples. I have a 928. Using "Network Speed Test", I get a d/l speed of 26.5Mbps at work which is rate limited. I'm ok with that. I will check again when I get home. I will install the speedtest.net app and see what mine clocks to be.

Last edited:

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Here's the other thing, unless you are doing sustained downloads for long periods of time, anything over 10 is a waste. You are limited my so many other things, that as long as you get a good clean connection, total speed shouldn't matter as long as it is "good enough". Unless you are doing sustained bit torrent on your phone.

jwpear

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. It has been fine, but it is obviously lower than the other phones I've tested with. I paid for a phone that should get better than 12 Mbps. Generally speaking, I'm happy with the phone. Just trying to decide if the reduced WiFi speed is enough of an issue to take a chance on a refurb. Wanted to first establish that it is indeed a problem.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
it could be a setting on your phone, an app is running something, a setting in your wifi that doesn't play nice, if you don't notice lag when using it online, don't worry about it. Stream some Netflix or hulu, if it works well and is HD with no issues, I wouldn't worry about. Hell it could just be something in the algorithm they use to calculate that just doesn't work the right with that combination of devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos