Exchanged Lumia Icon for ATIV SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelumialover

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I just wanted to add for any of you out there considering the two devices. I exchanged the Lumia Icon for the ATIV SE today and fallen in love with it. The screen is fantastic, it's so much lighter and easier to hold, and most of all - that microSD card is wonderful. I've loaded up a ton of photos and movies.

Everyone has their preferences...just wanted to share mine. I'm enjoying my new Windows Phone!

It's a good day to be a Verizon customer. (I'm a former TMO customer - not much WP love there!)

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
enjoy your phone! been using the ativ s this past year and love it. contrary to what is said in many posts, Samsung does support the windows phones they manufacture. have gotten every gdr, frequent Samsung app updates and 8.1 is working beautifully on my ativ s. (with the exception of a camera bug that should be taken care of with firmware update).

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that phone looks good, even though most of my phones have been Nokias I've always wanted to try my hands on an Ativ S. Heck i was even thinking of giving the Ativ SE a try if it would not have been for that fugly Verizon logo... That freakin spoils the whole beauty of any device it's plastered on (except the HTC 8X which had it on its back)

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Yeah that phone looks good, even though most of my phones have been Nokias I've always wanted to try my hands on an Ativ S. Heck i was even thinking of giving the Ativ SE a try if it would not have been for that fugly Verizon logo... That freakin spoils the whole beauty of any device it's plastered on (except the HTC 8X which had it on its back)
It's likely intentional, since I believe the phone out of the box is SIM-unlocked. That way, regardless who you use the phone with, you'll forever be reminded that it's from Verizon. :p

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thinking of picking this up today too... with the new Verizon plans (that didn't exist on Verizon until very recently) it has become an attractive alternative (I am a T-Mobile customer right now as well).

Have you put WP8.1 on it yet? How is it? I don't want to go back to WP8.0...

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I ended up buying the Icon... They both have pros and cons, eventually the nicer design and camera button won out over the SD card and removable battery (the two things that made it a tough choice for me). Hope I can keep this one... Might go back for the Samsung if I don't like it :)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I ended up buying the Icon... They both have pros and cons, eventually the nicer design and camera button won out over the SD card and removable battery (the two things that made it a tough choice for me). Hope I can keep this one... Might go back for the Samsung if I don't like it :)

I am sure you'll like it. It is the better device to me :) I honestly which the Icon/930 came to att as i'd so trade for it :p

my roommate had the icon.....took it back due to a small issue & got the SE, he liked the SE but missed the camera and Nokia apps(Samsung doesn't have much equivalent for him) and I had to use some good talking skills for them to allow him to exchange the SE he got for an icon.(The only reason he had got the SE in the first place was he went back to exchange his original icon for another one and it was out of stock lol) Now he is back with the Icon and very happy.

and my bf had an SE but he took it back because he preferred the premium build quality of the Icon.

So I am sure you'll like it. It makes my 1520 look almost lame :D

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I had a Lumia 900 before buying a Lumia 521 to get WP8. While the 521 is a neat little budget phone, it feels good to have a premium slab of a phone again. :) So far I love it - except for one thing: No double tap to wake. :( I didn't think it would be a big deal, but man, it feels like a big step backwards not to have it now... I am seriously considering returning it and waiting for a new model that has it. Or maybe they will figure out a way to bring it to the Icon as well.. Or maybe I'll get used to it :)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I had a Lumia 900 before buying a Lumia 521 to get WP8. While the 521 is a neat little budget phone, it feels good to have a premium slab of a phone again. :) So far I love it - except for one thing: No double tap to wake. :( I didn't think it would be a big deal, but man, it feels like a big step backwards not to have it now... I am seriously considering returning it and waiting for a new model that has it. Or maybe they will figure out a way to bring it to the Icon as well.. Or maybe I'll get used to it :)
I really had no glance/double tap to wake was such a feature that was so desired(since lumias didn't have them) but I guess it is one of those, once you get it you really don't wanna go back kind of things.(much like me with windows phone 8 after using 8.1 lol)

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I am sure you'll like it. It is the better device to me :) I honestly which the Icon/930 came to att as i'd so trade for it :p

my roommate had the icon.....took it back due to a small issue & got the SE, he liked the SE but missed the camera and Nokia apps(Samsung doesn't have much equivalent for him) and I had to use some good talking skills for them to allow him to exchange the SE he got for an icon.(The only reason he had got the SE in the first place was he went back to exchange his original icon for another one and it was out of stock lol) Now he is back with the Icon and very happy.

and my bf had an SE but he took it back because he preferred the premium build quality of the Icon.

So I am sure you'll like it. It makes my 1520 look almost lame :D

I prefer the Icon to the 1520 in almost every way. There are three things I envy about the 1520.

1.) Battery life. The battery life on the 1520 is OUTSTANDING. The battery life on the Icon is pretty average.
2.) Glance/Double Tap. Boy, do I wish my Icon at least had double tap. The 930 will apparently have it, but the Icon still does not.
3.) MicroSD card. This isn't a big deal to me as I still have 10gb of space available on my Icon. But I wouldn't mind having the option.

Besides those, I love the design, size, and display of the Icon.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I really had no glance/double tap to wake was such a feature that was so desired(since lumias didn't have them) but I guess it is one of those, once you get it you really don't wanna go back kind of things.(much like me with windows phone 8 after using 8.1 lol)

Yup, it's one of those little things you don't think matters until you don't have it anymore. :) I'm sure the full Glance is the same way even more. Just not having to actually grab and press the button is very convenient. But I'll live without it... Maybe a workaround will be made. It's weird that they didn't consider this when the Icon was designed. Or maybe there were other considerations that took precedence.

Batt1eRatt1e

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I didn't know the camera button was that serious for some people. Coming from an iPhone I'm used to pressing the screen so it doesn't bother me. Just eliminated a useless key for me.

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Yup, it's one of those little things you don't think matters until you don't have it anymore. :) I'm sure the full Glance is the same way even more. Just not having to actually grab and press the button is very convenient. But I'll live without it... Maybe a workaround will be made. It's weird that they didn't consider this when the Icon was designed. Or maybe there were other considerations that took precedence.

I do find that being able to press the Windows button to wake the screen is a pretty decent alternative. If the Icon had that, it would have been something. Fiddling for the power button, with a case to boot, aggravated me, so this works. Still waiting for feedback on a decent case, since this is definitely a niche device...

brau0303

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
So I went with the Rugged case they had at the VZN store (got the black grey) and I use a leather belt case designed to carry the phone with a defender type case. It actually works well. I have seen similar cases on the bay. I would class this case between a defender and commuter level if protection. it has dust flaps over the audio & usb ports (the access to the audio port may not allow larger plugs (it's somewhat small) I got an audio extender cable and that solved it. (it has a built in screen protector I am not in love with and may remove that)

Cheers
BR

I do find that being able to press the Windows button to wake the screen is a pretty decent alternative. If the Icon had that, it would have been something. Fiddling for the power button, with a case to boot, aggravated me, so this works. Still waiting for feedback on a decent case, since this is definitely a niche device...

Attachments

• samsung-ativ-se-case-rugged-black-samw750rcblk.jpg
    samsung-ativ-se-case-rugged-black-samw750rcblk.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 178

zwikel

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site

I was looking for a very thin case like the Incipio feather case but couldn't find it. I went to a Verizon store to see what they had. I bought the Incipio Watson Folio case. It includes a removable snap in-case that is just like the feather case. It's more expensive than the feather would have been but is perfect for my needs.

Sent from my SM-W750V using Tapatalk

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to add for any of you out there considering the two devices. I exchanged the Lumia Icon for the ATIV SE today and fallen in love with it. The screen is fantastic, it's so much lighter and easier to hold, and most of all - that microSD card is wonderful. I've loaded up a ton of photos and movies.

Everyone has their preferences...just wanted to share mine. I'm enjoying my new Windows Phone!

It's a good day to be a Verizon customer. (I'm a former TMO customer - not much WP love there!)

Pretty ironic with your user name.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

Batt1eRatt1e

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I played with the VZW "rugged" case at the VZW store. I'm very picky and felt that case was garbage. I just got the Incipio DualPro case, it's decent but it's no Otterbox or the like. On Monday I get the Pure Gear DualTek Extreme Shock and I can imagine it's the best available ATIV SE case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss