6th defective device [story over, wont try 7th time sorry nokia]

Status
Not open for further replies.

fawzib

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
today i received my 4th lumia device. the first 2 got a white dot on the background purchased new and sealed from ebay)
the third one seems to have a none functional compass, very bad sim tray and a shadow spot (darker area on the screen).. i got this one from negri
the 4th is from newegg. have serious screen sensitivity issues and felt the whole hardware unstable. the screen inverted colors for 1 second then back to normal. i was able to see a very thin white line on the bottom edge of the screen, not visible during normal use but i can see it when u tilt the device.

all these defects came on arrival and i was able to discover more hardware defects with every day. as if switching to windows 8 wasn't hard enough for me. not to mention the horror stories from everyone else here and how fragile the device is.

what do u think guys? should i try a 5th time!?????

edit:
i got my 5th device from bhphotovideo.com it is the 1520.3 version! crossing fingers!
with 5 minutes of using the 5th device it seems flawless! no white dots and screen sensitivity is set to high and no issues so far!

edit 2:
it is us lte bands 1520.3. i tried to use manual network and choose 4g, but it didnt give any signal...will check again and might return the device as well. all other devices in the room have lte/4g.

edit 3:
it is just at&t. i tried another sim and it worked out great. so far so good. and the screen sensitivity seems fine (even on high)

edit 4:
i noticed that the device speaker is making some kind of pop sound when ever any music or sound starts, then followed with pa sound. if you put ur ear very close to the speaker u will hear a static sound for 2 seconds followed by pa sound. (this is my 5th device )..this is a photo of the box: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/280416-getting-1520-b-h.html#post2509809 and video link of the device

edit 5:
lumia 1520.3 is out of stock from newegg, negri, and b&h.. so i got the 1520.1 from amazon.. yes again. i will return my previous device once i receive the new one. if anyone wants any pictures or details or any kind of test while i have the 1520.3, let me know..my feeling tells me that this device wont have any defect (except the flimsy sdcard/nanosim slot and sensitivity error which was common in all devices) BUT i feel i will get all kinds of issues soon after a while. all devices so far are DOA! the pictures attached are for the first device i bought with defective white dot, i sent those pictures to the ebay seller when he requested to see the issue via picture; i thought i share it with you guys as well since people are starting to doubt.

edit 6:
the 6th device is 1520.1 and it have a very strong and apparent yellow/gray tint to the screen. I would never guessed if I didn't have 1520.3 to compare directly. This is really a turn off to see the quality varies drastically from region variant to another. Also the buttons on the side are easily clicked when you hold the device. Yes guys you guessed it, I'm returning it as well. i uploaded a picture comparison between the two devices. I don't even need to point it out.

Conclusion: I had enough of bad quality control to defective products. Also there is a clear discrimination between different variants. I will return both devices very soon (i have them both now) so if anyone wants to see the difference between screen quality let me know.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 14
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    938.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: 4th defective device

today i received my 4th lumia device. the first 2 got a white dot on the background purchased new and sealed from ebay)
the third one seems to have a none functional compass, very bad sim tray and a shadow spot (darker area on the screen).. i got this one from negri
the 4th is from newegg. have serious screen sensitivity issues and felt the whole hardware unstable. the screen inverted colors for 1 second then back to normal. i was able to see a very thin white line on the bottom edge of the screen, not visible during normal use but i can see it when u tilt the device.

all these defects came on arrival and i was able to discover more hardware defects with every day. as if switching to windows 8 wasn't hard enough for me. not to mention the horror stories from everyone else here and how fragile the device is.

what do u think guys? should i try a 5th time!?????
Starting to wonder if you're serious or not. Honestly I find it really hard to believe you've gotten 4 brand new units, and all of them had huge glaringly major defects.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

If you want it to be as likely to not be a lemon, then get one from official channels like the MS Store. Unless the discount is worth the risk of getting a reject.

Also the device isn't necessarily bad. It doesn't see the widespread build quality issues of say the Palm Pre (saw someone go through 12 units) per se.
It may be cheaper, but you're simply moving the cost from money to risk. At least that's how I see it.

fawzib

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

Starting to wonder if you're serious or not. Honestly I find it really hard to believe you've gotten 4 brand new units, and all of them had huge glaringly major defects.

i will buy my 5th device from bhphotovideo (they have very new batch) and this time i will take pictures! i'm like 99% sure it will become defective. but i wonder what is the percentage of defective units. i just can't take it anymore. i tried every place and just saying it is just a lemon or my 1 over 10000 chance. i see everyone received a defective device and some just choose to live with it (not me!). i used to think nokia means quality...!

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

4 defective units is a little staggering, but he did say he got two of them from Negri and Newegg. That's as official a channel as it gets if you're looking for an RM-938 for instance.

fawzib

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

4 defective units is a little staggering, but he did say he got two of them from Negri and Newegg. That's as official a channel as it gets if you're looking for an RM-938 for instance.

this is my last attempt and i will flip over if it came glitched or white dot. Nokia do you hear me? not cool! not cool!

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

Doesn't matter where he bought them from if he's lying. I mean I just find it really hard to believe this would be happening. The unit I just bought doesn't appear to have any defects to it (Knock on wood) and he's saying supposedly he's gone through 4 units all of them with major defects.

Not to mention it seems very jarring that all of his 39 posts are bashing Nokia, or complaining, and even just above he says he's 99% sure his *Next* unit is going to be "Defective".

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

The big question is why keep buying them, send the defective ones back for a new one. I agree though one yes 2 maybe 4 your full of 💩 and maybe a jitterbug is more your speed.

fawzib

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

The big question is why keep buying them, send the defective ones back for a new one. I agree though one yes 2 maybe 4 your full of �� and maybe a jitterbug is more your speed.

i'm awaiting refund. when i get my refund i will buy my last attempt from another store. and i will take photos this time! so give me 5 days total. as if now, i never heard about anyone with a fully working 1520, screen problems appear sooner or later from dots to shadows to screen sensitivity.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

Well while I found 4 units hard to believe. My brand new phone from Amazon is defective. The camera doesn't work on it and the flash doesn't either. Talk about a poor experience, was so excited with it yesterday now today I find it not working.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Was it sold by Amazon? I wouldn't be surprised if all these defective phones are cheap knockoffs sold as the real thing.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

Was it sold by Amazon? I wouldn't be surprised if all these defective phones are cheap knockoffs sold as the real thing.
Yes it was sold from Amazon wireless, not from a third party or anything. Used an AT&T upgrade on it so I'm trying to figure out what happens when I return it.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

The big question is why keep buying them, send the defective ones back for a new one. I agree though one yes 2 maybe 4 your full of  and maybe a jitterbug is more your speed.

I've heard of even worse luck streaks with 8 defective 928's (IIRC) and 12 on-the-fritz Palm's as I said above. (those 12 or so made for an impressive signature over at webOS Nation IIRC)

fawzib

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

2 from ebay it was for $525 and negri and newegg are the 1520.3 model. though i felt issues are quite different in the latter. you might be calling me picky but i expect nothing less than perfection from Nokia. at least all my 6 previous devices where all nokia. i'm simply amazed how bad the device is designed and assembled to the point I expect a defective device from Nokia rather than a perfect one... i was seriously recommending this device to many people but i feel ashamed now to do so.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

Yeah unfortunately I think this defective unit is going to make me pass on WP for now. The 1520 is the only phone I wanted, and I just don't have it in me to risk getting another one only to have it show another problem.

Very disappointed because I've had a blast with the phone up to this point.

TechoGeek

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

Yeah unfortunately I think this defective unit is going to make me pass on WP for now. The 1520 is the only phone I wanted, and I just don't have it in me to risk getting another one only to have it show another problem.

Have you started the return process? I'm about to place an order will Amazon and was wondering what the process would be if I receive a defective unit. This will also be my eligible upgrade.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk

fawzib

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

dude, if you doubt me, just select any retailer and buy the lumia 1520 and mark my words, something will not be working correctly. my $20 gophone works perfectly better than nokia's devices!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb