Buying a Lumia 920 in mid 2014

anon(7812135)

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

I love Nokia's Lumia line up, and of course the Windows Phone OS. I currently have an iPhone 4S, and I'm thinking about buying a new Windows Phone device in a month or so. Now, I would love to buy something like the 1020 or 1520, but they are way too expensive, and don't fit into my budget.

I want to buy a Lumia 920. The reason, it's now available at a great price. I was initially thinking about the 925, but there are quite a few things that tipped my decision in favor of 920. Firstly, I like my phones to be sturdy and feel solid in the hand, and the extra heft of 920 is something I love (I've handled the device, and have had absolutely no problems). Then there's the 32GB on-board storage, which is double than that of 925. Finally, as much as I would love having the 41 MP behemoth 1020, I think that the 8.7 MP pureview snapper is just perfect for me.

This brings me to my question. I have decided on buying the Lumia 920, but it's now about 2 years old. I don't care about its age, and I know it'll obviously be getting 8.1 once it's released to consumer devices, I just want to be sure that it gets all the updates, at least all the 8.X ones.

Considering this, I want opinions from WPCentral members. Is buying a 2 year old 920 a good decision?

Regards,

Rajat S.

godsend85

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm on the same boat as you. I just bought 920 a month back.

At the core, it's same as 925/928 (with wireless charging, extra storage and little more weight). Since, both of those are newer models and are expected to get support for all 8.x updates, 920 should definitely get the same support.

Sent from my System Product Name using Tapatalk

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm still using my L920 and couldn't be happier with it. I believe it's on par specification wise with the other newer Lumia devices. Not to mention, as godsend85 said, it'll get the support to all 8.x updates as well. I believe it's still a good purchase.

I'm personally not a fan of phablets, so the 1520 and 930/Icon (when it comes out) is too big for my liking--even though the display on the 1520 is AMAZING!

ezraofcebu

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Im on Lumia 920 right now and as soon as this gets the official 8.1, the more reason you should buy one.

Sent from my RM-821_im_mea3_306 using Tapatalk

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It is still a great device! Honestly it raised the bar for all windows phone. I hope they make a successor for it.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

darkbaby1991

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Been using this phone for almost 3 months now. Updated to black recently,all I could say this phone is a beast indeed. Moved from android to WP was a good choice. The smoothness of the OS is really cool,it's not hardware demanding though. The only drawback is,this phone gets hot easily.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Definitely go for it. I've been using my 920 now for well over a year and it has been flawless.

On the upgrade front I'd be a little careful and get a country variant device rather than one that was tied to a particular carrier, even if its been unlocked. This sidesteps the possibility that the carrier won't support the update. I have a Lumia 620 which hasn't received GDR 3/Lumia Black yet and is ensuring that I won't be with Virgin Mobile much longer.

anon(7812135)

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies anyone. I'll be getting the 920 for sure :)
@Ian Too .. That's quite a point you mentioned. Thankfully, every device sold in the country I reside in is an unlocked International version.

Thanks for the responses again, guys :)

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
The Lumia 920 is no longer in production and doesn't have hardware support any more (based on a conversation with Flipkart and then with Nokia Care about my 920, they were unable to replace the USB connector board). You may wish to think about a newer device, or wait till the next wave of Lumias launch. At that time, prices of the 925 should drop. I don't think an L920 is a good idea at this time.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I disagree with Markham, If u can get it for $300 or less than it is a steal

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I think it's still a great phone. I have had mine since launch date and still like it a lot. My only reason for considering a new phone is that I think I would prefer a larger screen than 4.5 inches. Good luck with your decision!

anon(7812135)

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
@Markham Ranja: Well that sucks! I was actually planning on buying it from Flipkart, since it popped up back in their stock. I guess I'll have to wait for something else then.

@rdubmu: Well not $300, it's available at around $425

groovecain

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
i thinking of getting a 2nd hand 920 for around 189 usd , after desperated looking another lumia series in my town , yeah there's no one sell wp devices here ,

sequoia464

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm still using my L920 and couldn't be happier with it. I believe it's on par specification wise with the other newer Lumia devices. Not to mention, as godsend85 said, it'll get the support to all 8.x updates as well. I believe it's still a good purchase.

I'm personally not a fan of phablets, so the 1520 and 930/Icon (when it comes out) is too big for my liking--even though the display on the 1520 is AMAZING!

I had a 1520 - reluctantly sent it back because of the size, I agree the display is great.

My wife however has an Icon, the dimensions are only marginally larger than my 920 - really a nice phone.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
@Markham Ranja: Well that sucks! I was actually planning on buying it from Flipkart, since it popped up back in their stock. I guess I'll have to wait for something else then.

Last year flipkart had it listed for about 20k INR for about a month, you should really keep an eye on offers

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site

$425 is a bit steep (unless of course thats cheap for india), but maybe look at used devices? You can get a few month old 920 for $180 here.

FBirraque

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies anyone. I'll be getting the 920 for sure :)
@Ian Too .. That's quite a point you mentioned. Thankfully, every device sold in the country I reside in is an unlocked International version.

Thanks for the responses again, guys :)

I already own a 920 and 1020... Definitely I still preferring to use 920 as my primary phone.

Madeye234

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I love the L920 - It does everything i need it to do then and need it to do now. Mine is 18 months old and still going strong, esp with the new WP 8.1 upgrade coming soon The only upgrade choice for me is the 930 or whatever AT&T variant will come out later this year. I can't really justify going to 1520 because of its size factor. I only wish it had a microsd slot, but that's my only gripe. Maybe look into buying outright instead of a two year commitment, that way you arent locked in when the next generation 4.5-5.0 inch screen Lumias come out.

cheyne young

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
The 920 still competes well with what's out there. It is still relevant. All specs aside the phone operates as smooth as they come. Everything works great and if it continues to get updates I don't see this phone lagging behind. That's the bottom line.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss