Is snapdragon 800 enough ??

Qais Abu-Hasan

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm a senior , and when my year is finished , I'm going for a flagship (I have a little galaxy mini 2) .I was thinking first of getting a galaxy s5 then the best I've ever seen was the g2 so I decided I'll get LG G3 , but after I got into windows phone OS I loved it , and now I want a wp flagship , and that's Lumia 930 . I love it , I like the design too , colors camera (didn't use glance so it doesn't bother me and 32gb is more than enough for me), just amazing. But 1-it doesn't pack special features just for it 2- the worst thing is that it packs s800 , it's not that old but s801 would just be better , but some say that wp doesn't need more power than what s800 delivers because L920 has old hardware and runs amazingly with wp 8.1
What do you think ?? Should I get a Lumia 930 as a first flagship that I'll keep for some like 2 years or is LG G3 better or wait ? No I can't wait , Help mee !!

davesannie

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
The snap 801 is only minimal faster then the 800, the 801 is only clocked a tiny bit higher on the HTC M8

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

dsmpampis

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
The difference is not noticeable! You can see some comparison between Nexus 5 and Galaxy S5 or HTC one M8....

Tapatalked with my Nexus5(aka the Hammerhead)

Divjot Singh

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
WPs are built keeping low end devices in mind and then they are optimized for higher models. I don't think anyone (520-930) should experience terrible performance ever. And it will only get better with each firmware and OS update. So don't worry much about performance, focus on other stuff like design , camera , screen etc !

I have a 920 and I think WP 8.1 made the experience faster for me with quicker animations , almost no "Resuming" and "Loading" and a tad faster bootup! This is with 12gig/32gig of storage usage and multiple background apps.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Here's the deal with the snapdragon 800. This was the FLAGSHIP chipset that came out late last year. Its very fast, and very powerful. Its successor is the Snapdragon 805, which is coming out late THIS year. NOTHING currently uses it (since its not out yet) and due to when its coming out the LG G3 is most likely going to use it. If Nokia brings out a Lumia 1020 successor, this is the most likely chipset to use as well (since that was a late year device)

The Snapdragon 801 used in the Galaxy S5, Sony Xperia Z2 and HTC One M8 is a midcycle refreshed speed bump of the 800 which makes absolutely no difference in anything other than benchmark scores. The 801 is just the 800 capable of reaching higher clock speeds. The CPU (Both uses the same Krait 400 cores) is clocked anywhere between 2.26 and 2.5ghz (SD800 maxes at 2.26). The GPU (both uses the same Adreno 330 GPU) is clocked higher in the 801 (450 vs 578 I think) and theres a few more tweaks here and there with the memory interface I think. Again nothing that's going to be that noticeable outside of the extremely demanding and benchmark tests.

The 805 has an improved CPU (Krait 450), and an improved GPU (Adreno 420). These are different components than what's found in the 800/801. Those changes would be more significant.
But Qualcomm also introduced the 64bit 808 and 810 chipsets which is due out next year. This puts the chipsets at 6 month cycles which means you have to jump on something now or you'll be forever waiting.

To answer the question, yes the 800 is more than enough, especially for a windows phone. Yes an 801 would be better (mostly from a spec sheet perspective) but its not this super major outdated old hat deficit as everyone freaking out about it seems to think it is. If one is outdated, then the other is also outdated, because they're like 95% exactly the same.

If you want to put this into perspective of a car's engine (I like using car analogies, they seem to parallel with hardware quite well).
It would probably be something like this:

Snapdragon 200 is a 140hp 2.0L 4cyl engine.
Snapdragon 400 is a 200hp 2.0L 4cyl turbo engine.
Snapdragon 600 is a 325hp 3.5L V6engine.
Snapdragon 800 is a 400hp 5.7L V8 engine.
Snapdragon 801 is the same 5.7L V8 as the 800 but makes 450hp.
Snapdragon 805 is a 550hp 6.0L V8 engine.
Snapdragon 808 is a 600hp turbocharged 5.0L V8 engine
Snapdragon 810 is a 650hp turbocharged 5.0L V8 engine.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
If you want to put this into perspective of a car's engine (I like using car analogies, they seem to parallel with hardware quite well).

As a car guy... Toyota MR2 - 3SGTE: 200hp 2.0L i4 Turbo

But as for my phone, I'll take the 805. :p

Jonnny4

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes the snapdragon 800 is fine and dandy for any windows phone because it is a far more efficient operating system. Granted the newer cpu's will have newer features like 4k video and better graphics but if you compare an android snapdragon 800 to a windows phone the windows phone will spank the android. I have the 1020, and it only has a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus MSM8960 dual core at 1.5ghz, and the only time I ever have lag is in the music app and that is actually a bug that seems to affect some people who have very large Zune collections.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
WPs are built keeping low end devices in mind and then they are optimized for higher models. I don't think anyone (520-930) should experience terrible performance ever. And it will only get better with each firmware and OS update. So don't worry much about performance, focus on other stuff like design , camera , screen etc !

I have a 920 and I think WP 8.1 made the experience faster for me with quicker animations , almost no "Resuming" and "Loading" and a tad faster bootup! This is with 12gig/32gig of storage usage and multiple background apps.

Fast boot up??? It is not the case with my 920..
And a the annoying splash screen for music, videos etc apps.. So it is slower than 8.0..

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm a senior , and when my year is finished , I'm going for a flagship (I have a little galaxy mini 2) .I was thinking first of getting a galaxy s5 then the best I've ever seen was the g2 so I decided I'll get LG G3 , but after I got into windows phone OS I loved it , and now I want a wp flagship , and that's Lumia 930 . I love it , I like the design too , colors camera (didn't use glance so it doesn't bother me and 32gb is more than enough for me), just amazing. But 1-it doesn't pack special features just for it 2- the worst thing is that it packs s800 , it's not that old but s801 would just be better , but some say that wp doesn't need more power than what s800 delivers because L920 has old hardware and runs amazingly with wp 8.1
What do you think ?? Should I get a Lumia 930 as a first flagship that I'll keep for some like 2 years or is LG G3 better or wait ? No I can't wait , Help mee !!

Snapdragon should be sufficient for you for another 2-3 years, except for camera speed. If it is able to take 20MP burst mode photographs, with ZERO shutter lag and able to play 1080P video at 120FPS, which I am not sure if it wll be capable of doing.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

When it comes to processors, it is not good to compare them ACROSS different OS'es. Look at iOS. iPhone processors are dual-core only and never pass the 1.5 GHz mark, but they are very efficient. WP is between Android and iOS in terms of efficiency.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

anon(5408816)

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Benchmarks actually show that the S800 is faster in WP 8.1 and to a lesser extent, 8.0 than comparative devices with the S801 running Android including the S5. The Z2 is a powerhouse that edges out the Icon / 930 in overall performance but the 1520 and the Icon / 930 are in the top 3 in Basemark X. With 8.1, early benchmarks suggest that it will be the 1520 and the Icon at #1 and #2. To that end, either one of them is well worth the price of admission. You'd regret anything less. I love my Icon.

anon(5408816)

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
When it comes to processors, it is not good to compare them ACROSS different OS'es. Look at iOS. iPhone processors are dual-core only and never pass the 1.5 GHz mark, but they are very efficient. WP is between Android and iOS in terms of efficiency.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

There is alot more to silicon than clock speed. The A7 is also 64 bit and the S800 in the 1520 and Icon easily beat the 5S in overall and in most individual metrics. The only area where the 5S seems to be noticeably efficient is in web usage. Either way, there is no way of telling which platform is the most efficient without running iOS on a standard Qualcomm chipset and running synthetic benchmarks. One thing we can say is that WP is considerably more efficient than Android based on synthetic benchmarks.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Having migrated from 928 to 929 (which might as well be a 930) I didn't notice much of a difference in speed related to usability. The only difference I noticed was the speed in launching apps. The 928 always felt fast to me and it didn't have an 800. The 929 does and its not worth it alone IMO. The key difference is the screen is bigger without the device itself being more than marginally bigger. It also feels lighter. Even in the WP7 days microsoft seemed to know what they were doing because even that interface felt fast. I remember android being slow and buggy with vastly superior hardware.

Hey all,

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Here's the deal with the snapdragon 800. This was the FLAGSHIP chipset that came out late last year. Its very fast, and very powerful. Its successor is the Snapdragon 805, which is coming out late THIS year. NOTHING currently uses it (since its not out yet) and due to when its coming out the LG G3 is most likely going to use it. If Nokia brings out a Lumia 1020 successor, this is the most likely chipset to use as well (since that was a late year device)

The Snapdragon 801 used in the Galaxy S5, Sony Xperia Z2 and HTC One M8 is a midcycle refreshed speed bump of the 800 which makes absolutely no difference in anything other than benchmark scores. The 801 is just the 800 capable of reaching higher clock speeds. The CPU (Both uses the same Krait 400 cores) is clocked anywhere between 2.26 and 2.5ghz (SD800 maxes at 2.26). The GPU (both uses the same Adreno 330 GPU) is clocked higher in the 801 (450 vs 578 I think) and theres a few more tweaks here and there with the memory interface I think. Again nothing that's going to be that noticeable outside of the extremely demanding and benchmark tests.

The 805 has an improved CPU (Krait 450), and an improved GPU (Adreno 420). These are different components than what's found in the 800/801. Those changes would be more significant.
But Qualcomm also introduced the 64bit 808 and 810 chipsets which is due out next year. This puts the chipsets at 6 month cycles which means you have to jump on something now or you'll be forever waiting.

To answer the question, yes the 800 is more than enough, especially for a windows phone. Yes an 801 would be better (mostly from a spec sheet perspective) but its not this super major outdated old hat deficit as everyone freaking out about it seems to think it is. If one is outdated, then the other is also outdated, because they're like 95% exactly the same.

Snapdragon 200 is a 140hp 2.0L 4cyl engine.
Snapdragon 600 is a 325hp 3.5L V6engine.
Snapdragon 800 is a 400hp 5.7L V8 engine.
Snapdragon 801 is the same 5.7L V8 as the 800 but makes 450hp.
Snapdragon 805 is a 550hp 6.0L V8 engine.
Snapdragon 808 is a 600hp turbocharged 5.0L V8 engine
Snapdragon 810 is a 650hp turbocharged 5.0L V8 engine.

I want the Snapdragon that is the Bugatti Veyron engine or the Formula 1 V12 Ferrari engine.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Considering how well Windows Phone runs on low end hardware, I think the Lumia 930 and the Snapdragon 800 should be fine to last you 2 years.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb