The Last Nokia Flagship in the US

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Well, Icon owners... I guess it's official. We are the owners of the last Nokia branded flagship to be released in the United States of America. Makes me have an even greater appreciation for this device.

Cheers!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Might be right since I already suspect its only a matter of time before Microsoft Surface phone hit the shelves. (or whatever name it'll have) I figure the end of the summer we will begin to get leaks and the fall when we get bright, shiny new Windows Phone 8.1 devices.

maflynn

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
There may be another model, but you're right. It will be Microsoft Mobile or something.

I don't know if they had to change the name but I think they'll lose brand recognition by dropping Nokia. Its a mistake imo.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I thought the 930 would still have the Nokia name since its already designed and stuff like that. I would assume there would be a lag period before MS branded phones appear.

The Palm/palmOne naming thing comes to mind. When PalmSource was bought off and palmOne regained the rights to the Palm name, they still sold some devices with the palmOne branding before those were replaced.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I think the point is that the 930 might not even be sold in the US.

As far as I'm concerned, Microsoft could just rebrand the Icon to Surface and call it a day. :) It's got the Surface design similarities enough to do that...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I acutally look forward to see what Microsoft brings to the table under the Microsoft brand. I've always owned Microsoft hardware, besides the Xbox 360, they have been some of the best products I have ever owned. Keyboards, Mice, any other little device they have made over the years. Great products and even better in the warranty area (did you know if you had a keyboard that broke under warranty, they would just send you another one?) In fact, I am typing this on a Microsoft keboard with a Microsoft Mouse....I paid for them to have at my work desk because I like them so much, I also have them at home too...

Dont look at the down fall on it but, once you have the MS guys working directly with the Nokia guys, I can picture some amazing stuff coming out. I look forward to my Next Microkia phone :)

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I thought the 930 would still have the Nokia name since its already designed and stuff like that. I would assume there would be a lag period before MS branded phones appear.

The Palm/palmOne naming thing comes to mind. When PalmSource was bought off and palmOne regained the rights to the Palm name, they still sold some devices with the palmOne branding before those were replaced.

Annnd the 930 is the Icon. So...

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm really interested in seeing what Microsoft will put out there in terms of hardware :). I really hope they don't make it industrial and boring though. A good mix of metal and plastic (like the 930) would be ideal I think.

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
To me I see the Lumia 1520 as the true last Nokia flagship. If you put the big screen aside, the huge battery and the micro SD support add more value. I got the phone 3 weeks ago and I feel I own a piece of history now!

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
To me I see the Lumia 1520 as the true last Nokia flagship. If you put the big screen aside, the huge battery and the micro SD support add more value. I got the phone 3 weeks ago and I feel I own a piece of history now!

It's not. the Icon/930 is the announced final flagship for Nokia. But the 1520 is a great phone.

MazoMark

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I thought I'd read somewhere that Microsoft could only user Nokia name for a limited time. They purchased rights to Lumia name, but rights to use Nokia name are time limited.

Could be remembering this wrong. Maybe someone else can confirm.

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I thought I'd read somewhere that Microsoft could only user Nokia name for a limited time. They purchased rights to Lumia name, but rights to use Nokia name are time limited.

Could be remembering this wrong. Maybe someone else can confirm.
Microsoft is able to use the Nokia name for the next decade. I don't believe there is a limit on the Lumia, Asha, and X names.
Source: https://twitter.com/nokia/statuses/459679803277586432

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hasn't been reported by WPC so I wouldn't count on it just yet. Twitter accounts have been wrong

It seems there is some confusion. According to a couple other articles. Nokia gets to keep the Nokia brand name, but Microsoft gets to use Lumia and Asha (Microsoft Lumia XXX). Additionally, the Nokia brand name can be used for current and soon to be released devices (i.e. Nokia Lumia 930) for up to one year (Forbes). So while Nokia's OFFICIAL Twitter feed says that Microsoft can use the Nokia brand name for Lumia, Asha, and X family of devices, it didn't say for how long. The following article is much more specific. Softpedia essentially either misunderstood the wording or took the 10 year part out of context.

Nokia Licenses Brand Name to Microsoft for Features Phones - Bonnie Cha - Mobile - AllThingsD

"Microsoft gets limited rights to use the Nokia name, primarily in the low-end mobile phones that are based on the older S30 and S40 operating systems. There it can use Nokia’s brand for 10 years. But when it comes to smartphones, Microsoft only has the right to use the Nokia name on Windows Phones that are in the market when the deal closes."

Oh, and Nokia can't use the Nokia brand name on phones until Dec 31, '15. At that time it can start making phones again. Which I doubt they intend to do.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It seems there is some confusion. According to a couple other articles. Nokia gets to keep the Nokia brand name, but Microsoft gets to use Lumia and Asha (Microsoft Lumia XXX). Additionally, the Nokia brand name can be used for current and soon to be released devices (i.e. Nokia Lumia 930) for up to one year (Forbes). So while Nokia's OFFICIAL Twitter feed says that Microsoft can use the Nokia brand name for Lumia, Asha, and X family of devices, it didn't say for how long. The following article is much more specific. Softpedia essentially either misunderstood the wording or took the 10 year part out of context.

Nokia Licenses Brand Name to Microsoft for Features Phones - Bonnie Cha - Mobile - AllThingsD

"Microsoft gets limited rights to use the Nokia name, primarily in the low-end mobile phones that are based on the older S30 and S40 operating systems. There it can use Nokia?s brand for 10 years. But when it comes to smartphones, Microsoft only has the right to use the Nokia name on Windows Phones that are in the market when the deal closes."

Oh, and Nokia can't use the Nokia brand name on phones until Dec 31, '15. At that time it can start making phones again. Which I doubt they intend to do.

The part about using the Lumia name is what I understood Microsoft had as well

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Oh, wow. Interesting. Glad to hear it! DJCBS is going to throw a hissy fit ��

DJCBS has said several times it was deeply stupid from Microsoft to NOT license the Nokia brand for Lumias since it's the Nokia brand that sells WP everywhere in the first place and nothing else ;)

However, one should notice that there's no written proof of that so far. That's been said by "Nokia"'s-twitter and facebook pages.

But the deal as presented to the shareholders is very clear: the Nokia brand is licensed for 10 years to use ONLY on phones based S30 and S40 series. Nokia remains an independent company and has, obviously, the right to use their own brand. Furthermore, Nokia can return to phones in 2016, and would be very weird for them to return while another company was using their name too.

So either:
1 - the social networks people got the wrong info (which is possible);
2 - they are misleading the users to try and avoid a mass exodus (you just need to see the reactions to the simple idea of not using the Nokia brand and replace it with "Microsoft" or "Microsoft Mobile"),or;
3 - there was a change in the deal to extend the license to Lumia and Nokia X phones too.

I've reached out to Nokia for further clarification. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99