Random power down / reboot issues - revisited

Scopes64

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I have been having random power down / reboot issues with my Lumina 1020 for a few months now, usually once every 24 hours.. They haven't caused any issues on 8.0 (black update) as after the random power down the phone just rebooted and was left on the access point select screen, thus meaning alarms still go off and the correct time maintained.

Since I tried the 8.1 preview the phone would randomly power down (usually once every 24 hours) but not reboot and would remain off and would require a soft reset (vol down + power) to reboot. The downside here is alarms don't go off and calls are missed etc.

I have tried all the suggestion on here and other forums but no joy. I currently have a new sim on order to rule out the sim (note the sim I use has previously been cut down to nano and now sits in a micro adaptor), the sim may work bu I don't hold out to much hope.

Are any others having similar issues and maybe found a "real" fix?

My phone details

64gig Lumina 1020 Black
RM-875_eu_euro1_211
OS 8.0.10517.150. h/w h/w revision 4.4.6.2 radio 3.2.04047.1

NokiaBeast

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I purchased a 1020 through a corporate ATT store two weeks ago today and it worked great--until today. The phone was working normally and then just shut off while it was in my pants pocket with the Qi wireless charging case attached. When I hit the power button, nothing happened so I pressed the volume down and power buttons simultaneously and held them until the phone started to reboot. Unfortunately, the phone would get to the ATT screen, then the Nokia screen and shut down again (not on the wireless charger). I tried the same procedure again with the phone on the charger and it would go through those two screens and shut down repeatedly, then start the whole process over again, never getting past the Nokia screen. Since I was 12 hours over my 14 day trial period with ATT, I took it back to a corporate store and got a new replacement phone.

My question is--I had updated to 8.1 preview and I wonder if that had something to do with the phone's behavior. I didn't mention that fact in the store. Would you suggest not updating the new replacement phone to 8.1? If so, it's going to be tough getting along without Cortana and all the new goodies WP 8.1 brought. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help you may offer.

Scopes64

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I have had random restarts on both 8.0 and 8.1.

This morning i inserted a replacement SIM to see if my reboots are sim related. So far so good.

MarkusV

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I have had the same reboot problems with my lumia 1020. I noticed that Glance was causing the problem. Put the glance to off and phone has been worked just fine.. until last saturday and for some reason it started to reboot again. now i don't know why it's doing it. I heard for another person that he has had reboot problems with another Nokia windows 8 phone and the problem in that one was wifi. It rebooted the phone if Wifi was on.

Dominique Gagnon

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. After some tries and fooling around with glance, wi-fi, Skype, and others settings/apps, I can say that wi-fi is the culprit. Every freeze/shutdown happens when wi-fi is ON. It never happens when Wi-Fi is OFF. And this issue occurs since day one of WP8.1. If you guys can try it and let us know if I am correct, we can hope it will be fixed when the new Nokia firmware (cyan?) will be release.

MarkusV

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
change the year to 2106 or above in the date and time settings and then go to the settings and click on the glance, it will inform you that it has a problem and there will be 2 buttons. Uninstall and Buy. Click uninstall and after that change the year back or put the automatic time and date update on. You can reinstall the glance with sysapp pusher software.

deansmilk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Bumping this back up. Ive had this problem since 8.0 ( 8.1 now ). Like the op, mine just stays off as well. My girlfriend also has the 1020 ( 8.0 - 8.1 ) and hers has never randomly shut down. So one poster in this thread says replacing the sim worked and another says its Glance. These are two totally different "fixes". Are they still working for you guys? What could be the actual reason why this is happening, and who can we contact to find the reason?

Dominique Gagnon

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I ended it by calling my carrier (Rogers, canada) and asking for a replacement. Since I have the new device, I did not experience any other freeze / reboot or any behavior. I think it is a hardware issue, not a Windows phone 8.1 issue. It just started to freeze at the same time I installed wp8.1.

deansmilk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I ended it by calling my carrier (Rogers, canada) and asking for a replacement. Since I have the new device, I did not experience any other freeze / reboot or any behavior. I think it is a hardware issue, not a Windows phone 8.1 issue. It just started to freeze at the same time I installed wp8.1.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that, ha. My only option is to send it to Nokia under its manufacturing warranty. Ahh well. I wish there was an answer as to why its doing this. I find it strange that 8.1 doesnt even reboot after it shuts down, while 8.0 did?

Last edited:

w00cash1020

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I sent it to Nokia 3rd time and all they did twice was reinstall software... Now I want my phone replaced and Im willing to go to bloody court with it.

MarkusV

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I actually also had to send my phone to repair and they sended to vendor service center so i'm waiting to get some info or new phone from there. Those repairs worked for few days and started to act up again so that's why i sended it to repair.

Scopes64

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Well as the OP i have to say my problems are back. I cant go to 8.1 as the random boots leave my phone off and only a vol down+power reset can wake up my phone.

So i am now back on 8.0 and still have random reboots bit at least the phone just restarts.

Lets home the cyan update (firmware and 8.1) fixes this problem.

deansmilk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
It must be hardware and software related. Just for the simple fact that 8.0 will shut down and restart while 8.1 does not. I wish repair would give you guys a specific answer as to what the issue is. I'm in a tuff spot because I can't send my phone in right now for business reasons. I can't be without the thing.

MarkusV

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I just got my phone back and the repair info. "we did not find any problems from the phone during our test. We factory reset the phone and installed updated version on it"... so nothing basically was done to it. I will test the phone and see if it's working, maybe they have some never version of the Lumia Black which works better.

Asfalloth

May 31, 2014
Visit site
I had my Lumia 1020 for about 4 hours from new before loading 8.1 Preview.

I had lots of problems which mainly consisted of multiple reboots at very frequent intervals which pretty much rendered the phone unusable.

I decided to go back to 8.0 using Nokia recovery. All was well but on an off chance I decided to immediately do the 8.1 update again, hoping that it may have been the previous upgrade procedure that upset the whole thing before.

I was right. My 1020 is rock solid on 8.1 now, and I even got the only app I was upset about not having today, namely Whatsapp.

If I can assist anyone with any details please drop me a line.

Kind regards.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes