USB Cable Connectivity Issues

Compiux

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Dustin, I know is not the best of the solutions but, check out an app called [PC Remote Free]
Says you can connect to your PC via wireless and while you can not explore your phone from your PC, you can send files to your PC. I have to try it yet, I'm at work and we don't have wifi because some security policies -__- but I will at home. Maybe this allows you to transfer the files from the phone to the PC

Last edited:

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Do you think the files it can send to computer include full resolution photos? Or would it send the "share-friendly" photos at lower quality?

Compiux

May 24, 2014
Visit site
That's a good question, but I suspect you will be able to transfer the hi-res. I'll let you know as soon as I am able to try I :)

Compiux

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Tried several things, I'll spare you the mumbo jumbo.
First:
You can share the hires files to any folder in your skydrive. Just go to the "Files APP" and select the folder where you want to upload the photos.
Expect long times since you're uploading several megas.

Second
I installed this application (trial mode) ShareFolder Explorer. if you use the "copy" option, it only access the camera roll and not the high res photos, BUT (aha! I caught your attention) but, if I go to the files app again, I can choose the "ShareFolder Explorer" as the destination and then I can access the shared folder (previously configured) and "paste" the photos there.

The app is paid, but you have 30 days to transfer your files.
Here is the process... have some patience. This is a long post.
IMPORTANT: Both devices must be in the same wireless.

0. Share your folder.
00.gif
01.gif
02.gif

1. Then, setup the shared folder in your phone app. First tap the PLUS button
wp_ss_20140818_0009.png

You will need to type this info:
Connection Name: Whatever you want
Host: your computer IP.
a. Press [Windows Key]+R and type CMD
b. In the command prompt type "ipconfig"
c. Scroll to the "Wireless LAN Adapter Wi-Fi" section
d. write down your lan IP
e. type that ip into the Host field
NOTE: unless someone is admin the network you are on, and this person has static IPs on each device, you will have to repeat this part to make sure the IP has not changed.
User: I typed my user there, not sure If it would have worked without it. Note: if you have Win8 and have set up to start with a live account, type the whole email address (iamivanthemighty@live.com)
Password: Password that the aforementioned user uses.
Save
wp_ss_20140818_0015.png

Once you have done this, proceed to share your pictures by opening the Files app and navigate to your camera roll pictures. There you will see listed ALL the files :D Select all the files you want to transfer. I checked 2 in this example
wp_ss_20140818_0006.png

And shared
wp_ss_20140818_0007.png
wp_ss_20140818_0008.png

Once I selected the ShareFolder App, a new interface opened. The App itself. Easy Peasy select the folder you just configured and tap paste :)
wp_ss_20140818_0009.png...wp_ss_20140818_0010.png
wp_ss_20140818_0011.png...wp_ss_20140818_0012.png
wp_ss_20140818_0013.png...wp_ss_20140818_0014.png

Done!

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Ah, didn't even think of using the Files app to share to OneDrive! Thank you! And the ShareFolder option is a great idea as well. I'll keep that handy just in case. I really appreciate your detailed tutorial.

Also, can anyone back up their apps and settings? My girlfriend goes to Settings > backup > settings+apps and taps on "back up now" and she gets an error saying "please try again later."

No explanation.

We'd be more willing to try the Nokia Software Recovery Tool if we could just guarantee to back up her stuff. But if we can't back up her apps...using the software recovery tool would wipe her app and file data. But "please try again later" really doesn't give us many options for trying to resolve the problem.

And of course we can't get support because Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview is "not official software." So we get shunned by official support.

Compiux

May 24, 2014
Visit site
You're welcome Dustin :)
I still hope we get a fix for our phones (if there is any...)
Concerning your backup issue: sadly, I can't help you there. So far, I've been able to backup my phone without issues.
Maybe the nokia account/live account is having troubles to connect? (I think the nokia account has nothing to do here but we should check all possibilities)

Do you have the issue regardless of the connection type? (WiFi, 3g, 4g)
Sounds to me that this might be account related. Try a soft reset, maybe that works (after all, it's Windows. Ba dum Tssss!)

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Tried a soft reset multiple times, no luck :(
Not sure if it is account related. You think it's a Nokia account thing or a Microsoft account thing? Microsoft account seems to be fine. OneDrive and other Microsoft services automatically connect as they usually do on Windows Phone. Haven't looked into Nokia.

SARJINDER KAUR

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I have the backup issue ever since the latest do update; Windows 8.1 Update. I have a forum question open listing everything I've tried and nothing has worked :(

It's not an account thing. Microsoft account looks fine, can access one drive fine and has plenty of free space. I even deleted my Nokia account from phone, still have same issues :(

Compiux

May 24, 2014
Visit site
:( Could it be a connectivity issue? If not, my only guess is that the backup issue is causede because the OS, but that does not explain why some have it and some not.

Toink

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Still waiting for MS to release the CYAN update OTA for us on Dev Preview so we'll know if it fixes this issue.

Compiux

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I am pretty sure now that it is a hardware issue.
Last time I tried to connect the phone to my laptop (Win 8 Home, USB3 ports, stock cable) it started to loop on the unrecognized hardware and didn't even charge.
If I connect it to the wall, they it charges just fine, but there is no way I can make my PC recognize it and I tried all the "solutions" posted in this thread. I think I'll buy the app I mentioned earlier, that way I can backup all my files to my PC without the need for a cable.

/sighs, it is quite disappointing. Having such a great phone with such a great flaw.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
If your operating system did not come with Windows Media Player, install the Media Feature Pack for your version of the operating system.
Get Windows Media Player - Microsoft Windows

Use the USB cable that came with the phone.
Connect the phone to the PC. Turn it all the way off, hold power button and slide the screen down. The phone will turn back on and it will be detected, drivers should load.
You should see it in windows explorer. It should install in 'portable devices' in the device manager.

Compiux

May 24, 2014
Visit site
If your operating system did not come with Windows Media Player, install the Media Feature Pack for your version of the operating system.
Get Windows Media Player - Microsoft Windows.
Problem is:
"Included in Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro"
"Included in Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 Pro"
My laptop came with Windows 8 Home edition ahd I updated to 8.1. I bought it in the US so I know is not an N or NK Windows edition. I checked the about and I have WMP 12.0.9600.17031 so yeah, I have the Windows media player and the feature pack. because they come with the OS :straight:

Use the USB cable that came with the phone.
Connect the phone to the PC. Turn it all the way off, hold power button and slide the screen down. The phone will turn back on and it will be detected, drivers should load.
You should see it in windows explorer. It should install in 'portable devices' in the device manager.
Tried to turn it off and connect (basically the same thing) I've used stock cable, original nokia car charging cable, original nokia power bank cable, samsung cable, HTC cable, a thread with 2 plastic cups on each end, nothing works.

I give up. I give up.

Toink

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
@Compiux

Trust me, it's not the drivers - nor Windows 7/8/8.1. Like I said before, I tested my 1020 on 3 different machines, with newly installed/formatted Windows OS'es. -each time it manifested the same "USB not recognized" issue. The problem is the phone itself. Somehow the DP installation corrupted the USB drivers in the phone itself.

I couldn't wait any longer for the CYAN update. I was hoping the release of the CYAN firmware for the DP users would come sooner and fix this issue. I brought my unit to a Nokia Care Center last week. I got a call yesterday that they replaced the mainboard of my 1020 free of charge. (My unit is till under warranty). I will pick it up tomorrow.

Good luck guys! Here's hoping I don't have to come back here and get the same issue...

potatopower

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
@Compiux

Trust me, it's not the drivers - nor Windows 7/8/8.1. Like I said before, I tested my 1020 on 3 different machines, with newly installed/formatted Windows OS'es. -each time it manifested the same "USB not recognized" issue. The problem is the phone itself. Somehow the DP installation corrupted the USB drivers in the phone itself.

I couldn't wait any longer for the CYAN update. I was hoping the release of the CYAN firmware for the DP users would come sooner and fix this issue. I brought my unit to a Nokia Care Center last week. I got a call yesterday that they replaced the mainboard of my 1020 free of charge. (My unit is till under warranty). I will pick it up tomorrow.

Good luck guys! Here's hoping I don't have to come back here and get the same issue...

Same here. was getting repeated 'USB not recognized' errors. took it to Nokia Care, they replaced the motherboard. works like a charm now :)
PS: Nokia has a 24 month warranty so all 1020s should still be covered under it.

Compiux

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanx for the heads up.
I don't think there is a Nokia Care Center in my country, but maybe the carrier covers the warranty.

nickisverygood

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
Sorry to hear that. In my experience the only solution is to send it back to nokia. I'm quiet sure it's a hardware problem because everything goes fine after having it fixed.

Akuma Akuma

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

The answer to what's happening here is very simple. It's not your Windows Phone software, it's not your desktop Windows and (partialy) it's not your USB cable. It's just a simple physic matter.

I own a Nokia Lumia 1020 since 2013, the one with 64 GB of storage. When the phone starts connecting and desconnecting loop, that means that the microUSB of the phone was damaged. This was happening lately to me too, and from the attachedLumia 1020 damaged microUSB.jpg photo you can clearly see that the real microUSB connector is slighty backward inside the metalic hole that is with the case, like if someone would have pushed it. Well, in fact that "someone" is you and why this happens?
Well, after opening and dissasemble 4 times the phone for microUSB replacement, I can assure you that this happens due to 2 facts:

1.- The microUSB quality of the Nokia Lumia 1020, remind me the bad quality of that same port used in the Nokia N900. With that phone (Nokia N900), you have to use a special microUSB cable with the downside fangs (that are used to maintain connected the cable to the phone) the softer posible you can get, because if not, even using the official cable, it will broke internally, making it impossible to connect again (the only way was to weld it again by yourself). You can check this kind of problem in some N900 forums (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=75920).
In this N900 case, the problem was when you pulled the cable from the phone, but in this current case (Lumia 1020) is that you are pushing it inside the phone little by little. And how is it you should ask...? well, get 3 or 4 microusb cable used for charging or for data and observe that the metalic final part (the one that goes inside the phone) doesn't have the same lenght. It slighty differs from one and other. That take us to the second fact:

2.- You, or anyone that used the Nokia Lumia 1020, used a microUSB cable, for charging or to transfer data, that had LONGER metalic connector that the space the phone has to allocate it. With the time, that make the connector to get backward little by little, and get us to the day that it will only charge and nothing more. But, why it would be still charging and pseudo connecting to the computer? well, that's due to the USB design.
Check this USB diagram: https://i.pinimg.com/236x/1b/55/53/1b55538e7724af9236ba13c10c3b7257.jpg As you can see, the data connectors are slighty backward compared to the power connectors. You can check that this is true in any USB cable. Well, this is an old USB A diagram but the connectors used for data in a microUSB are also slighty backward with one difference, the microUSB connector has 5 pin connectors instead of 4 as you can see here (https://i.pinimg.com/236x/a7/c1/02/a7c102bd0d1c685813c5cf90c2e97e8f--samsung.jpg). The fourth pin connector is not as back as the data connectors and enough to connect to the USB port, starting the connection that can not be completed due to the fact that the data connectors are not touching those inside the phone microUSB.

To sum up. You have two options here:

1.- Replace the damaged microUSB with a newer one and don't lend the phone to your childs (my case) that will connect any cable with any imaginable force.
2.- Open the phone and put some kind of glue or silicon just before the microUSB connector, so it won't be able to be pushed back again with any kind of microUSB cable.

That's all.

Regards,

Akuma.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss