USB Cable Connectivity Issues

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
This is moot in my experience, since I have tried on 2 different machines that were newly formatted.

This is the exact thing that happens to my 1020. It tries to install the driver, and then the error, and then tries to install the driver again - it's a vicious cycle, as long as the phone is connected to ANY USB port on any of my 4 different machines.

Yes, I am on WP 8.1 developer preview. And the sad part is that I was transferring my photos (raw) when this happened, because I was planning of downgrading to 8.0 to prepare for the official Cyan firmware.

Guys, please confirm if all of you are on WP8.1 DP. Thanks!

Yes most of us are on 8.1 DP, I am dunno about rest.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I was really hoping the WP 8.1 Update 1 release would "shake" the 1020 free of this bug, but no luck. Still not being detected when plugged into computer after updating :(

Nokia Care (@NokiaHelps) redirected me to the WP Developer Preview forum on MSDN, saying it's not their problem and I should talk to "fellow developers" about it. Do they honestly think the Developer Preview was targeted only at devs? Do they realize it's more of a way for Microsoft to get a rapid release while carriers drag their feet? Ugh. So difficult to get help. Everyone links to a forum. And in each forum I post in on MS websites, they all do the same cycle of recommendations. No luck. This is really depressing.

I hate my girlfriend forcing herself to delete photos that are not backed up at higher quality, just to free up enough megabytes so her phone doesn't lag and so she can take more photos and save other items. This problem needs to be solved ASAP. And there's so many people affected!

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Mine is glitchy, sometimes it doesn't pick up the phone, sometimes it does. It always charges though. I'm still on WP8. Worst thing recently was I spent an age copying and pasting photos into a file from phone to laptop and I've just realised the photos haven't pasted, so I've lost loads of hires pics. Will be so glad when I can transfer the hires over Wifi, although I'd prefer the option to transfer over cellular. Having to connect via a cable is such a stupid pain in the arse, though having no SD card is an even bigger pain.

Bruno Lemos

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
crazy loop, detecting and not detecting the device it was of no use

I have this on my Lumia 1020. It's horrible.
I tried to downgrade to 8.0, but got my phone bricked because the PC lost connection with the phone. Nokia Care made my phone come back to live, but the USB connection problem still continues. (and also a Camera flash or focus problem)

Maybe Cyan Firmware will fix it? Anyone with Cyan that was with this problem?

Compiux

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I am hoping for that too Bruno
But I'm wondering if it is just a fault in the hardware design. Sometimes the PC recognizes the phone, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it happens nothing but the phone still charges, sometimes if I move the cable the PC makes the USB sound, sometimes it rains, sometimes a star falls from the sky.

I have decided to not plug it to the PC anymore till I get the Cyan update. Hoping (like you) that it will fixes the issue. I can?t remember when this thing started to happen. Not sure if it si 8.1 related because someone else said he is in 8.0... and I can't stop feeling like there is a huge chance that it is a hardware issue and any1020 has a chance to break like this... like the first batch of Xbox360 (most died, some did live)

I would settle with an official statement concerning this. But not knowing what the heck is happening... sucks

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I wish we could get Nokia to comment on this. But when I tell them on Twitter about it and even link this thread among others, they tell me they won't answer me if I'm running 8.1 because it's not their software and it's not "official."

Which is ridiculous, considering Microsoft makes the OS, and Microsoft owns Nokia's devices now.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Use the USB cable that came with the phone.
Connect the phone to the PC. Turn it all the way off, hold power button and slide the screen down. The phone will turn back on and it will be detected, drivers should load.
You should see it in windows explorer. It should install in 'portable devices' in the device manager.

If your operating system did not come with Windows Media Player, install the Media Feature Pack for your version of the operating system.
Get Windows Media Player - Microsoft Windows

D1ck0

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issues, turned out that I was using a non nokia cable. I used a nokia cable then turned on phone whilst connected and it downloaded all the drivers and has been running fine since :) Nokia Lumia 1020 btw

KBEscalona

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Cannot downgrade my Phone right now. NSRT keeps looping for download. Wont go to install part. NSU same too. my suspect is the WP8.1 drivers messes the updater.

Compiux

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I've come to the conclusion that it is a hardware defect on the nokia.
I decided to try the solutions posted, none of the works. My phone behaves just like Dustin GF's Phone. Exact same behaviour.
Why do I think it's a hardware flaw?
Simple: I connect the phone, is not recognized. I leave it at the table and move the cable only slightly and the phone disconnects and connects... and if I touch the *original* (came with phone) USB cable ever so slightly, the phone enters the connect-disconnect-connect-disconnect loop.

Does it charge? Yes, it does. When I plug it to the wall charger it works like a charm. I move the cable and nothing bad happens. But it seems the PC connection works different. I am not too sad because thanx to the OneDrive update, I can upload my HiRes photos to the cloud... but what if I want to backup all my data to the PC?

/sighs.

Time to get me the qi charger... just in case.

SARJINDER KAUR

May 10, 2014
Visit site
All you having problems need to upgrade the firmware on your device; the latest is 3051.50009.1424.0000 - just thought I would mention that as I notice many of you are running a much older version. Of course, if your device isn't recognized not sure how you would upgrade it, lol. I have noticed that if any device is not recognized, unplugging the usb and plugging it into a different usb socket on your pc/laptop should work. I've seen many times I have the issue with one usb device one day it works great, next day it doesn't recognize, so I use a different port, next time back to the first one fine, then the second, etc etc

SARJINDER KAUR

May 10, 2014
Visit site
no, just talking about the actual Nokia firmware, cyan is a software update. If you hookup to Nokia software recovery then it tells you the latest firmware and asks if you wanna update it before continuing

KBEscalona

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
no, just talking about the actual Nokia firmware, cyan is a software update. If you hookup to Nokia software recovery then it tells you the latest firmware and asks if you wanna update it before continuing

Yes it shows the latest update but some us using GDR1 has having problems getting Cyan. My problem is once i completed the download it say corrupted data for NSU. As for the NSRT, similar problem but it download is looping.

Compiux

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I am scared to update anything via USB cable, I don't want something awry to happen while the phone is connected and to end up with a brick. /sighs.
I wish this issue was addressed by MS or Nokia. :/ that someone would aknowledge something "Yes, is the firmware; yes, is the phone; yes, is the OS" whatever.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't want to use the Nokia Software Recovery Tools because it says it will wipe the device clean, and my girlfriend has thousands of photos from our recent vacation we don't want to lose. They are backed up to OneDrive, but they are low quality because we were on a cell network while on our travels. We'd like to back her photos up at full quality (especially on a 1020, with such gorgeous quality) but OneDrive won't back up photos that have already been backed up (no matter what quality they were in the past).

So we're stuck not being able to run the software recovery tool, but I don't think the Nokia firmware is out of date. She updates her phone regularly. How would that update not install over time?

Can the firmware update be applied if the device can't be detected on the computer without wiping the device clean?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb