920 is not future proof according to my local CEX store

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Went into CEX, to exchange my Android phone for a shiny A condition Nokia 920 and he said I should wait for the new quad core windows phones, which I thought was strange.
What would it matter to him, he said the Nokia 920 wont run 8.1 properly and its best to wait, but if I wanted to trade in then just to keep that in mind.

I've come away with nothing, so confused now...:cry:

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I have a 920 and dp 8.1 :/ it works like a charm....you should just ask the CEX guy to duct tape his mouth -_-

phing77

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
My 920 is still kicking fine. but i do however notice drops in performance in 8.1. Lumia 920 is a few years old already my friend i would suggest the newer Lumia.

yaro da yaar

Banned
Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
It will work absolutely fine but he rightly said not a future proof phone as of now. Heavy, only 1 GB ram, dual core, there are many better options now. I can say 1520, 1020, 930 are future proof for next 2 years.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Change the user name to captainhappy and things will be better.
When shopping for gadgets you have to expect BS. It fills the knowledge void.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
its obviously not futureproof, but i think it has aged gracefully
its not high end anymore but if the price is right, i'd pull the trigger.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Went into CEX, to exchange my Android phone for a shiny A condition Nokia 920 and he said I should wait for the new quad core windows phones, which I thought was strange.
What would it matter to him, he said the Nokia 920 wont run 8.1 properly and its best to wait, but if I wanted to trade in then just to keep that in mind.

Nothing man made is future proof. Buy what you like and use it until it's worn out

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The 920 is still a great buy for the right price but the person is right not future proof but not for the reasons stated, better phones are coming out! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peepsite

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Lots of salespeople work on commission. $600 > $200 sale. Expensive contract>prepay service.

Something to keep firmly in mind at the phone store.

Bizarro_Prime

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Depends how far into the future you're talking. When I got my 920 I expected it to last me around 2-3 years and then I'd move on to something newer.
The new quad-core WP devices will eventually be replaced so where do you draw the line on waiting?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
My son just got a L920 this past December, and I had no problem buying it for him. What do you use a smartphone for? If you are into heavy gaming and are all about streaming video, the 920 isn't future proof at all. There are better options now (L1520, Icon), and at least one more in the wings (L930). By the end of the year there will be a dozen better.

But... if you are like my boy and all you do is light gaming, internet browsing, and maybe run some tool-type apps like bill minders and such, the L920 will be fine for a couple years yet. When the official WP8.1 rolls out, the L920 will run it fine. The posters I trust with the preview on their phones say so. I believe the official version will be more polished.

If you want it, grab it. No worries.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
If you're worried about it running WP 8.1 smoothly, you shouldn't be. I use a Lumia 520, and the OS runs smoothly on it (except for a few lags here are there which should be remedied with the firmware).

Like some people have said, the definition of 'future-proof' largely depends on how you'll be using the phone and how far into the future you're looking at.

Helder Costa1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
i run 8.1 on my 920 with no problems... i just keep loving that beast. go for it with no problems. most of the time those people who sells phones don't know what they are saying.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

CEX is a pawn shop that doesn't actually have a business phone. Consider the source.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077