920 is not future proof according to my local CEX store

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Well, i did the exchange today and the original i spoke to wasn't there, this guy was obviously a windows phone fan, just now trying to get used to this wonderful phone.

Must admit i thought it would be updated to 8.1, as others have posted that 8.1 works well, bit confused.

Not a problem as its great on 8.0

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, i did the exchange today and the original i spoke to wasn't there, this guy was obviously a windows phone fan, just now trying to get used to this wonderful phone.

Must admit i thought it would be updated to 8.1, as others have posted that 8.1 works well, bit confused.

Not a problem as its great on 8.0
8.1 isn't out for the public yet. If you want 8.1, you gotta go here: All you need to know about the Windows Phone 8.1 'Preview for Developers' | Windows Phone Central

Otherwise, you'll have to wait for the official release that includes the firmware too.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Been playing with this 920 since i exchanged yesterday, wow its sure different to Android and iOS, very much miss the notifications, and control of the individual volumes and especially the quick toggles, but loving the smooth quick and BIG wording is fantastic, its got all if not most of the day to day apps I ever use, gaming is done on my Ipad anyway, so not looked into this area to much.
love the weight of the phone, it feels just right. just got to get used to setting up these tiles now...

Think I'll wait for the official 8.1, I can live with the lack of notifications etc till then:)

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I was nervous about doing the 8.1 thing, but I'm glad I did. I couldn't imagine going back.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia Cyan update (wp 8.1 with Nokia added toppings) will be more fine tuned. Right now I get 22 hrs of battery life on the preview release - a far cry from to what I'm used to. But I don't think I would be able to live without the action centre and independent volume control now lol. So yeah, the 8.1 update will give pretty much all windows phones a new lease of life.

One question, is the 920 you picked from CEX branded or unbranded?

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
It's an unbranded unlocked from factory. Had a choice of two. The other one was an unlocked EE. Absolutely loving 8.1 really takes windows phone forward

Sent from a Lumia far far away

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Looking at today's phones, I don't think the Nokia 1100 (best selling phone of all time, released in 2003) was future proof. No phone is future proof. Try installing Windows Phone 8.1 on this beast. I mean could hold a whopping 50 SMS messages in it's memory.
200px-Nokia1100_new.jpg

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Good thing you got the unbranded and unlocked one, as at least you wont have to wait for EE to roll out the Lumia cyan update :p. Also from your post, I'm presuming you installed the developer preview for 8.1?

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Good thing you got the unbranded and unlocked one, as at least you wont have to wait for EE to roll out the Lumia cyan update :p. Also from your post, I'm presuming you installed the developer preview for 8.1?

Yes have installed the developers preview, can't work out why it's just a preview as it runs flawlessly

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I got a better idea. Why don't you think before insinuating that someone is crazy who is clearly not. If you can't be friendly, and you go around telling people they need help or should see a doctor because they are posting their opinions on a forum then you seriously need help. Think about what you've been posting, then come back and apologize, and then maybe people will take you seriously.

You owe someone an apology.

I was objecting, and I still object, to the violent tone of the post, in particular the statement threatening to "duct tape his mouth" and the (admittedly common) metaphor suggesting this poor guy should "fall on his sword".

This is only technology. There's no need for such imagery.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
you can't compare a dual-core 1 gig Windows Phone with a dual-core 1 gig Android...
the latter is counting down to it's end of support at this moment

Support...for what exactly?

The radio in my car might be out of its support cycle too, but as long as it keeps blasting Jimmy buffet at 4am... Who cares

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes have installed the developers preview, can't work out why it's just a preview as it runs flawlessly

Nice! well there are still other channels the wp8.1 needs to go through - oem testing and firmware updates then carrier testing and release. Fortunately for us unbranded and sim unlocked devices we don't have to wait for carriers to release the update :D.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz