AT&T Lumia 520 on Aio Wireless

acejavelin

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
My son is looking for a cheap smartphone and likes Win8, so I was considering the Lumia 520 from the Microsoft Store... tough to argue with $59 for the AT&T version.

My question is pretty simple, is this like a Android smartphone in that even though it is locked to carrier (AT&T), can I use it on a AT&T MVNO like Aio Wireless or Straight Talk (AT&T)? Will there be any issues in editing the APN information or anything else to consider?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
My son is looking for a cheap smartphone and likes Win8, so I was considering the Lumia 520 from the Microsoft Store... tough to argue with $59 for the AT&T version.

My question is pretty simple, is this like a Android smartphone in that even though it is locked to carrier (AT&T), can I use it on a AT&T MVNO like Aio Wireless or Straight Talk (AT&T)? Will there be any issues in editing the APN information or anything else to consider?

With Aio it should be a drop in. You might want to read some threads in the 520 Forums for Straight Talk. If your son has an edu email account, he would qualify for additional 10% off that price at MicrosoftStore.com.

acejavelin

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
With Aio it should be a drop in. You might want to read some threads in the 520 Forums for Straight Talk. If your son has an edu email account, he would qualify for additional 10% off that price at MicrosoftStore.com.
Sweet... He does not have an edu account unfortunately. We are currently using Aio and have it on his Moto G, but he just doesn't like it and would prefer a Windows phone.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It should work.

My sister has a T-Mo locked 521 and we got it up and running with Straight Talk, we just had to do some APN tweaking.

kmok

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I know it's not a 520, but I have an AT&T sim locked Lumia 820 I had on aio for a while (also used a sim unlocked 521 on aio for a while as well). Any AT&T phone SHOULD work on aio without sim unlocking and on other AT&T mvnos. Aio's throttled speed when you run out of high-speed data isn't bad by the way. I was able to stream YouTube and Netflix decently.

Lloydbm4

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
If you buy from the Microsoft store, you can fill out a form on the AT&T website to request the phone to be unlocked. As long as you have been a customer for at least 6 months and have paid your bills, and the phone is not under contract, they are obligated to unlock your phone. I know this, because I did it. Bought a 520 direct from Microsoft and then filled out the form and had the unlock code within 72 hours. I currently have a T-Mobile Sim in my 520 and works like a champ. Will also work on any gsm network, as long as the freq bands are supported.

nandakishore

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I am using Lumia 520 att unlocked phone with T-Mobile network. Everything is fine except WiFi teathering is not working when I try to share the internet from settings. Showing an error goto att.com/mywireless or call 611. Please help someone to overcome this. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett