thinking about switching

speedfreak1187

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I have the note 3 and am thinking about picking the icon up. Last windows phone I had was the htc titan running windows phone 7. I ended up going to android because more apps. So my main question is how are the apps now and how good is the icon phone?

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Icon is awesome. Go to windowsphone.com and look for your most used apps. If there are specific apps you can't find, post a list and folks can probably recommend some options.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I have the Note 3...if you're a lover of screens, you will miss the beast of a screen that you have now. Other than that, the apps on Windows Phone are rather nice... I didn't run in to any issues where I was needing something they didn't have.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

MazoMark

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have both Icon and Moto X. Icon wins on screen, camera, and speed. Very few apps that I can't find on WP. In a few cases they don't have all the capability of the Android version. The one I find most limited is the Audible app on WP. But unless you are a gamer who has to have latest thing or you use an obscure app for work or business, you are probably going to be fine.

speedfreak1187

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the screen size will bother me. I use my surface for YouTube and all other media. Does the pebble work with windows phone? How hard is it to update to 8.1? I really want cortana lol

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Updating to 8.1 is a breeze... Nothing like rooting with Android... Takes 0 technical ability

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
For some reason I was thinking it was $100 for Dev account . Anyone use Spotify? I use it daily and don't think they had an app last time I was on 7.

OK – new WP user here – I bought the Nokia Lumia Icon on launch a couple months ago. I came from 5 extremely frustrating years on Android, starting with OG Doid, then to the Droid X, then the Galaxy Nexus – Android versions 2.0 up to 4.3. I was really on the fence, do I upgrade to a HTC One, LGG2, GS4, or try out Windows phone??? Well, I had a PC running windows 8.1, a tablet running windows 8.1, so, I decided to keep it in the MS ecosystem, and give it a shot. First impressions were good, it was fast, smooth, never crashes, and has all the apps I need. I am not a heavy app user – if I need to get work done, I will do it on a computer. I use my phone for taking photos of my kids, as a phone / messaging, email, and occasionally gaming and social media, and web browsing / news. I found Android to be so buggy and lagging I literally wanted to throw my phones into oncoming traffic daily. I rooted, and rom’ed to customize, and tinker, but it hardly ever made the phone better. I would have to backup = restore, and reflash different rom, and it just drove me crazy, all for what? So my notification light could be customized, or I could have transparent navigation bar? My sister has a GS4, I play with it occasionally, it lags all the time. Same with the LGG2. Now, maybe the GS5, and the new OneM8 don’t lag like crazy like their predecessors, but for me that was enough. My wife had a Droid Incredible 2, it never got updated past 2.2 without having to be rooted.

fast forward to today, running windows phone 8.1 on my Icon – this thing rocks. The screen is bright and vibrant. It flys with multi-tasking, and games don’t stutter at all (unlike the android phones we all became accustomed to). The app situation is far more media perceived than anything else. Are there some apps missing that other OS’s have, sure. But its hardly put a damper into my usage. The only thing I miss is the free mobile tethering I could get from my rooted android phone.

My advise for anyone that is super frustrated with their POS android phone – go and try out a windows phone for 2 weeks. sign up for developer preview, and install 8.1 – never go back to android again. Even for those IOS users that are looking for a little more customization, without the malware infested android OS, I suggest giving winodws phone a shot. Apps are coming in droves. Ask yourself a ? – Is there an app you cannot live without on your phone? I couldn’t name one, and if there was, it was available on WP. IOS hasn’t been cool in a long time, and android is just the same thing, no innovation in the past 2 years. The live tiles, and transparency / parallax scrolling in 8.1 is pretty bada$$. give it a shot, you never know – It works for me

signed – frustrated FORMER android power user

MA83

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I miss is the free mobile tethering I could get from my rooted android phone.

Internet sharing via wifi hotspot is innately built into WP8. It's under settings. I know that on my wife's 928 I never had to do anything special, just turn it on. It works SO much better than any rooted wifi tethering I ever worked out with an Android phone.

speedfreak1187

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
im going to order the icon today. no place in my area has any white ones in stock. my main annoyance with android is the lack of OS updates unless you are using a nexus. How do yall like cortona? I used siri all the time for reminders and events, it was really useful. s-voice is horrible and I hate how Google now handles reminders. Im really excited about the camera!

EDIT: just ordered and rushed shipping but still have to wait until Monday. I also checked the store and all the apps I use are there so im good.

Last edited:

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Verizon unlimited plan, have to pay 30$/month for tethering on my plan. There is an ASP that will let you use the browser for free called tether x, but it's more than a few steps to get working.

speedfreak1187

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
When registering for a Dev account its wants a credit card or token? Anyone have a token? thought the account was free
Never mind found what I was looking for

Last edited:

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I think there are enough apps for any normal use. Yes, Android has LOTS of apps. But if you remove duplicates, the impact is less. Do you NEED 27 lock screen apps? One, or none, will do.

speedfreak1187

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Got my Lumia yesterday and this thing is awesome!! Build quality is insane. I work construction and my note 3 didn't have service yesterday. My Lumia did today !😁

MJ217

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Got my Lumia yesterday and this thing is awesome!! Build quality is insane. I work construction and my note 3 didn't have service yesterday. My Lumia did today !��

Glad to hear you found a a phone that is working well for you so far! I am enjoying my Icon so far as well.

csorian0

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I switched from a Note 2 to the Icon. I did it on Verizon Edge, so I figure I have a year to figure out what I think about it.

So far, it's great. There are some things that I don't love on the Icon (the camera is slow, certain apps load slowly) but for the most part, it's a fantastic experience. WP 8 flies, 8.1 is great but not as fast. The battery life is SPECTACULAR. I absolutely hated that Google Play Services kept killing my immaculate battery life on my Note 2, taking it down to unheard of 12-15 hours a day. So far on the Icon it's been excellent, going 20-30 hours. It's a different experience. I do miss my Google Apps, but Gmail works fine as an added account in the Mail program, my Exchange account is better than on the Samsung and now there's VPN, which is nice. OneNote and OneDrive work wonderfully. If you have Bing Rewards, go buy 100GB of OneDrive for 100 credits, which is easily attainable in 4 days or so.

For the Icon, the 5" screen works well. It seems small coming from the Note 2, but I love the build quality. You don't need a thin phone, IMHO. Very happy so far and I look forward to improving the ecosystem with apps I build to help even out the playing field. Cortana is nice but I don't use her all that often in terms of speaking to her. I use the app to select options for reminders, etc.

MA83

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Now, I'm not that big into gaming on my phone, but I started playing NOVA3 two nights ago and I can't seem to put the phone down. I've never had such smooth touch screen shooter performance. Graphics are incredible and the 5" screen seems like the perfect size!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb