820's camera...

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Not sure it's fair to compare a 2013 flagship device to a 2012 mid ranger but okay. Of course you're going to get better battery life, better pictures (no Nokia Camera app though).

I would still take the 820 over any Samsung device though. There's just no comparison when it comes to style and build quality.

Sourav Ghatak

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
You have done some great comparisons but the devices compared do not belong to the same league. 820 is not in that league, you can compare GS4 with 920 or 1020. But comparing 820 with GS4 is not simply not fair.

Sent from my Nokia-Lumia-820 using Tapatalk

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Not sure it's fair to compare a 2013 flagship device to a 2012 mid ranger but okay. Of course you're going to get better battery life, better pictures (no Nokia Camera app though).

I would still take the 820 over any Samsung device though. There's just no comparison when it comes to style and build quality.

Yes , Build Quality and Style on Lumia was great.

I trade off build quality and style because I use a case.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
You have done some great comparisons but the devices compared do not belong to the same league. 820 is not in that league, you can compare GS4 with 920 or 1020. But comparing 820 with GS4 is not simply not fair.

Sent from my Nokia-Lumia-820 using Tapatalk

Well , More fair comparison would be Galaxy S2 (2011)

Both have 4.3 inch AMOLED displays , 480 x 800 resolution , 8MP camera which can shoot 1080p and 1GB RAM.

I didn't use Galaxy S2 as my phone but spent lot of time with the device since its lying around the house.

In terms of Photos , Lumia 820 triumphs but on video , Lumia 820 suffered some stutters and little bit focusing problems while GS2 performed quite well.Microphone quality is pretty much equal.

On , performance however , Lumia 820 is a beast and shortcut camera key comes handy all the time.Burst shot wasn't available on Galaxy S2

Note : Regarding stutter :
I got one "video cut" for every 28-29 seconds If I put "store on SD-card option" , I was using only sandisk class 6 card on Galaxy S2 and Sandisk Class 10 Ultra on Lumia 820 but GS2 didn't have any problems.I used same card on Galaxy S4 , didn't experience any stutters.

So , only problems I had with 820 was focusing problem on video (aside from stutter which occur due to WP problem with external storage or software issue)

Galaxy S2 has bad battery life and also performs plainly bad in Jellybean version (Gingerbread was so smooth).
GS2 screen also seems little bit more pixelly than 820.I think it has to do with WP8 optimization of fonts and visuals.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I haven't used my camera a whole lot, but at least it seems better than my prior 520. I'll have to play with the camera more. Is the camera issue (poor quality photos reported by some users) more of a hardware issue or a software issue? If software, then maybe a firmware fix can help out.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
It is software issue.lumia black destroyed Lumia 820 camera.now any indoor shot or night shot intriduces greenish or yellowish tint.my friend use galaxy grand it takes better pictures compared to Lumia 820.Lumia 820 is mid range atleast it should take pictures like galaxy grand sorry nokia you are the culprit.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
It is software issue.lumia black destroyed Lumia 820 camera.now any indoor shot or night shot intriduces greenish or yellowish tint.my friend use galaxy grand it takes better pictures compared to Lumia 820.Lumia 820 is mid range atleast it should take pictures like galaxy grand sorry nokia you are the culprit.

Hmmm....

I used only until GDR2 (aka amber)

Looks like Nokia seems to ignore this device. No wonder they stopped manufacturing it.

820 has lot of potential.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Ya they want us to buy their flagship phones. But if at all flagship phones is my choice I will definitely buy only android like note 2.they may be laggy but they have good resale value.Windows phone have poor resale value atleast in India.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I'll NEVER buy a flagship phone from Nokia (920, 925, 928, 929) because they have this odd theory that people who buy flagship never use SD cards. The 64GB 1020 would be the only option for me.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Ya they want us to buy their flagship phones. But if at all flagship phones is my choice I will definitely buy only android like note 2.they may be laggy but they have good resale value.Windows phone have poor resale value atleast in India.

Note 2 is not a flagship. It was but it is old phone, it was relesed about the same time as Lumia 820 and 920.
Lumia 820 is old phone but it can make some good pictures, + about pictures is not only about the phone but also about the man pressing shutter button ;) . Only Android phone I would consider switching to is Nexus or Motorola (X-series) but Motorola is not available at our country.

Last edited:

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Note 2 is not a flagship. It was but it is old phone, it was relesed about the same time as Lumia 820 and 920.
Lumia 820 is old phone but it can make some good pictures, + about pictures is not only about the phone but also about the man pressing shutter buton ;) . Only Android phone I would consider switching to are Nexus or Motorola (X-series) but Motorola is not available at our country.

tumblr_m5uhfeBaEb1qih9gi.gif

Anyway, I watched an awesome video of somebody comparing the cameras the 520, 620, 720, 820, and 920, and my GOD. The 820 was below the 620 at times.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Might be but it'a fact ;). You can do many great shots with phones much worser than Lumia 820.
Shot with my Nokia C6-01
29062011410.jpg

I'm not saying that L820's camera is great, not even close but it is not as bad as @prasath1234 wants to show. If he didn't like it than ok but can he pleas stop bashing Lumia 820 in every topic and use his Xperia C.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps it's a matter of preference. I don't want to say the pictures you've shown are bad, but I just thought I was going to get a much better experience given Nokia's reputation. That last one you posted would have looked better with the 720, and that's just odd given that the 720 is supposedly meant to be more of a budget phone than the 820.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
The 720 came out after the 820 so there are some improvements in camera quality even if it doesn't have as many megapixels. The same thing with the 620.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps it's a matter of preference. I don't want to say the pictures you've shown are bad, but I just thought I was going to get a much better experience given Nokia's reputation. That last one you posted would have looked better with the 720, and that's just odd given that the 720 is supposedly meant to be more of a budget phone than the 820.

This picture posed on this site was shoot using my ex phone Nokia C6-01 on holidays in 2011, so picture will be 3 years old. Sure Lumia 720 would be better in low light situations because it has bigger sensor.
Sure Lumia 820 isn't perfect phone, surely not after year and a half but it was solid midranger at the time and it's not that bad. Lumia 720 camera might be better but it has slower processor and less ram. In phones that are not highend is everything compromise. And it's up to specific person what they want. I was into buying Lumia 720 but than 820 recieved price drop and I went with it. I can easyer live with a bit worser camera than not to play games that require 1 GB RAM.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I'll NEVER buy a flagship phone from Nokia (920, 925, 928, 929) because they have this odd theory that people who buy flagship never use SD cards. The 64GB 1020 would be the only option for me.

If Samsung made Ativ S available here back when I got 820, I would have bought it over Lumias.

It has SD-card , AMOLED HD screen , removable battery etc.

Too bad , Neither Samsung nor HTC is interested to make WP8 because of poor consumer reception.Galaxy S4 or HTC One with WP8 (similar to how Ativ S resembled GS3) would have been so awesome.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Whatever you feel you can say.am saying the truth Nokia only made the already bad.camera of lumia 820 worst.they only introduced greenish or yellowish tint in black update.maybe you might not be affected but am affected.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
You are missing my point only indoor shoots nd night shots are horrible.day light shots are.too good even now.In that respect it can be compared to any Indian oem like karbonn, micromax,lava.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Whatever you feel you can say.am saying the truth Nokia only made the already bad.camera of lumia 820 worst.they only introduced greenish or yellowish tint in black update.maybe you might not be affected but am affected.

Sounds like that update frustrated you a lot.

Did you ditch Lumia 820 already or still on the verge of doing it ?

Quhi

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure it's known that lumia 720 has better camera than 820, but 620 is undoubtly worser than 820. 820 overall has more detail. I'm on wp 8.1 if that changes anything. I'm not disappointed, I got just as much as I payed for.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs