Lumia 1020 at discount in Norway, still worth buying?

Franco Loyola

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello folks!

I had a plan to wait for the 930 in Juni, but.... Today a local store released the 1020 at nearly half the price Nokia Lumia 1020 smarttelefon (hvit) - Mobiltelefon - Elkjøp (287 euros, 390 dollars) which is a lot of less money, they are selling the 1020 at the same price as 1320.... This price is eBay price, but without paying shipping, toll and with warranty from the local shop. Way to tempting :S

And now I'm doubtful... Is still worth this phone? Or should I just wait for the 930.

And there is another point to take in the equation, my gf likes photography, but she doesn't have a nice shooter... the phone could be for her maybe...

Any suggestions? If you are wondering, yes, will be a little problem with the money for a month or so, until next paycheck comes hehehe unexpected stuff

Regards.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
in the uk you can get the 64gb model for ?240 i thought it was so much of a bargain i had to buy a 2nd ;-) the price you mentioned is still very good , i would be tempted too , i love the 1020 and photography so i would say yes all day long , others will tell you it has old hardware ....... fact is there is no other camera phone like it bar the nokia 808and it runs everything smooth , very smooth

maybe wait for some other opinions but id say buy it if you like it ;-)

Barracuda7772

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
in the uk you can get the 64gb model for ?240 i thought it was so much of a bargain i had to buy a 2nd ;-) the price you mentioned is still very good , i would be tempted too , i love the 1020 and photography so i would say yes all day long , others will tell you it has old hardware ....... fact is there is no other camera phone like it bar the nokia 808and it runs everything smooth , very smooth

maybe wait for some other opinions but id say buy it if you like it ;-)

Is it true that the shutter delay is a little higher on the 1020 compared to most

Sent from the ocean using my waterproof Z10

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Is it true that the shutter delay is a little higher on the 1020 compared to most

Sent from the ocean using my waterproof Z10

there is no shutter lag , there is delay between the pics (saving them as they are large and a lot goes on in the background like oversampling etc) and there can be time to focus ....... my argument to this is you have xenon flash to freeze the time so you don't have to use burst mode as much to get 1/10 shots that are useable

everyone uses a camera different but i don't use burst mode at all on any cameras really , i usually frame my shots or try and pre plan my shots and take them , if my subject is liable to move in bright light i will increase the shutter speed , in dim light with a close subject i can use xenon flash ;-)

the shot to shot time is exaggerated a bit in my opinion but at the same time it is true the 1020 shot to shot time is a bit slower then most ....... but then the quality of the pics are better then most ..... things like re-framing your shot and cropping into a shot to make a completely different photo are just awesome ..... as is raw capture ..... rich recording mics ..... great ois ..... awesome camera ui ;-)

steve from aas wrote a pretty good article on this sort of thing ;-) How to: The Art of Xenon

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't want to sound rude, but a similar topic is created at least once a week and the answers won't really change ;)
Some people say no, it is not really worth it any more, due to the matter of fact the core hardware, which is basically the internals of the 920, is getting outdated.

Some will say yes it still is worth it, because you still won't find a Lumia with a better camera.

Both sides have their points and in the end it boils down to your own requirements you have on a mobile phone. While the hardware sure isn't exactly up to date anymore, the OS and most operations are fast enough for daily use and everything works smooth. There is indeed quite some delay between shots due the large sized the device has to deal with. This can be a problem if you like to take lots of action packed shots like playing children, sports or things like that. For landscape, portrait or architecture this isn't a problem at all.

Personally I can still recommend it, especially if you can get it at a decent price like some of us Europeans did (o2 thank you). I'm using the 1020 now for almost two months and the only real downside is the rather lackluster battery performance.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't want to sound rude, but a similar topic is created at least once a week and the answers won't really change ;)
Some people say no, it is not really worth it any more, due to the matter of fact the core hardware, which is basically the internals of the 920, is getting outdated.

Some will say yes it still is worth it, because you still won't find a Lumia with a better camera.

Both sides have their points and in the end it boils down to your own requirements you have on a mobile phone. While the hardware sure isn't exactly up to date anymore, the OS and most operations are fast enough for daily use and everything works smooth. There is indeed quite some delay between shots due the large sized the device has to deal with. This can be a problem if you like to take lots of action packed shots like playing children, sports or things like that. For landscape, portrait or architecture this isn't a problem at all.

Personally I can still recommend it, especially if you can get it at a decent price like some of us Europeans did (o2 thank you). I'm using the 1020 now for almost two months and the only real downside is the rather lackluster battery performance.

Thank you for your wise post. Also, to extend your point, it's not about being able to take truly great action-packed shots, but about simply having, or not. the time or patience or attitude to wait four or five seconds for those superior shots to be saved.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
wait a few seconds for s superior shot ...... no problem .... obviously id prefer not to but hey photos are to keep I wont remember waiting for them 2/3 seconds but I will remember that great pic when I see it rather then a lower quality one ;-) the amount of my friends that are capturing their babys growing up on sgs3s , sgs4s , iPhone 4s , iPhone 5s etc is unbelievable and in 20 years time they will be saying/thinking I wish id bought a better camera where as 1020/808 users will be thinking cor what a great day and what a great pic to remember it by ;-)

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
wait a few seconds for s superior shot ...... no problem .... obviously id prefer not to but hey photos are to keep I wont remember waiting for them 2/3 seconds but I will remember that great pic when I see it rather then a lower quality one ;-) the amount of my friends that are capturing their babys growing up on sgs3s , sgs4s , iPhone 4s , iPhone 5s etc is unbelievable and in 20 years time they will be saying/thinking I wish id bought a better camera where as 1020/808 users will be thinking cor what a great day and what a great pic to remember it by ;-)

I disagree. I have the 1020 and I've taken some simply amazingly sharp photos of my daughter with my 5S that my 1020 struggled with.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Miska Hietala

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I'd say go for it. This is if you value superior pictures with camera. I myself thought as well to buy 930, but with it I would get inferior camera and bit bigger screen and horsepower I don't even need with WP.. Not to mention the price tag..1020 is imo best phone you can buy now for the amount of features you get with the price.
My phone is one month old, and people are amazed by the pictures I take with this. Mostly on auto settings even :D

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk for wp

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I disagree. I have the 1020 and I've taken some simply amazingly sharp photos of my daughter with my 5S that my 1020 struggled with.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

its fine to disagree ;-) it is after all just my opinion , it just makes me cringe when I see a nice shot that wasn't in perfect lighting conditions and a nice keep forever baby photo has been turned into a blur of a photo

why would the 1020 have struggled may I ask? it has all the hardware to outshine the 5s in pretty much all conditions apart from the super fast focus and super quick shot time ..... so I am guessing that you are talking a quick of the cuff photo that your 5s was ready in time for before the moment was gone?? times like that are the only time I can really see the 5s beating the 1020 and even then its if the camera got the settings right ie the shutter speed fast enough so if the ickle one moved it didn't blur the picture yet not so fast as to dim the picture ;-)

your a different case anyways your sole phone isn't your 5s is it? do you have a slr as well? in which case you will get many different shots of your lil one growing up , some better then others , some from big sensors some from little sensors ...... the people I am talking about solely rely on their tiny sensor packing smartphone to create their photo albums of the future and although there are many situations these will suffice we all know there are many times they wont and will create a bit of a mess of a picture

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Lack of full resolution burst mode. Even in lower light the 5S excels. The 5 did not. Even the 1020 will produce lot of noise from its sensor if you view DNG files. But that's not a huge issue as there are very good post processing noise filters available for PhotoShop. The Lumia struggles with white balance indoors because of the warm jpeg filter. I'm a mobile photographer with a lot of experience testing mobile cameras. I've taken some very good shots of my daughter (and other scenes) that i can print using an iPhone 4s, 5, Note 2 and 3, and S4. The optics on the iPhone are actually rather good and there apps such as 645 pro which shoot tiff captures as well. You should check out my Flickr or Instagram page @ blue1k to see what I mean. I wouldn't say just because its not a 1020 that people are ruining a moment. A bad photographer does that. 😉

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss