Is the Lumia 928 worth it?

ThatLeoneGuy

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I really like the Windows OS. I am due for an upgrade with Verizon in the next few days and would like to get either the 928 or Icon. I like the price of the 928....$0. But here's my question: is it worth it? I know it sounds silly but after combing the threads here, I keep seeing frozen screens, hard resets, earphone jack doesn't work, camera rattles, screen streaks....etc. This will be my first smartphone (I got a flip phone now and detest it immensely) and I don't want a phone that is more trouble than its worth. I really like the Icon but $199 is pushing it with me but if it is built more solid than 928 with less headaches then I will go that route. I take care of my electronics, the phone will not be getting tossed around. I have never dropped my current cellphone. But I just don't to be cursing the heavens if I get the 928. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Icon is a beast. But if you consider using your phone for average purposes, 928 will be economical. Some random problems here and there, but you may rarely experience anything.

Somerichs

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I've had a 928 for just about a year now and I've had next to zero issues with it. It's been great. That said, I hear the Icon is an excellent phone, too-- bigger screen obviously, faster, better camera, better "guts." If you can spare the expense, it would probably be a better phone to have for 2 years than the 928 (unless the size is an issue for you). That's not to say the 928 wouldn't be good; I guess it depends a lot on what you plan to do with it.

Also, FWIW, I think I just saw somewhere today or yesterday that the Icon dropped to $99 with a new 2-year contract; if true, that may make it a little more attractive...

ThatLeoneGuy

May 1, 2014
Visit site
The Icon is still $199. The VW sales rep says you have to mail in a rebate to get a $100 Visa gift card. Just another way to get deeper into credit debt. $199 plus the $30 upgrade fee and a Visa Card you can't use as cash. I think NOT!

rebornempowered

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
The Icon is still $199. The VW sales rep says you have to mail in a rebate to get a $100 Visa gift card. Just another way to get deeper into credit debt. $199 plus the $30 upgrade fee and a Visa Card you can't use as cash. I think NOT!

You can use it to pay your bill so it would basically be the same as cash.

Marcin_S

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I have been blackberry and recently iPhone user. Several months ago, I decided that I would like to see what is the deal with WP so I started my research then. since I was within a contract, I wasn't keen on spending $400-600 on a new WP phone without even knowing if I would like the OS/phone or not. I have waited a bit and just few weeks ago, I picked up used Lumia 928. the phone is in the decent shape minus few scratches on the screen, but for what I paid I am happy with it.
As far as the phone itself, I do not believe the phone is worth the asking price. Compared to iPhone 5S, the bigger screen size is nice, but the screen quality is not so great. Viewing angles on Lumia 928 are horrible and if you are used to a perfectly looking screen from pretty much any angle, you will be able to forget about such experience with 928. I am not sure if Lumia Icon has the same issue, but if it does not, for that fact alone, I would just go straight for Lumia Icon and skip 928. - just my 2c.

ThatLeoneGuy

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Went with the 928. Got it for 99 cents. Runs smooth so far. It didn't have the white backside but a black matte finish backplate. I thought all 928s had the white back? I think the 928 is going to fit my modest needs.

fleeper

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I purchased a 928 on ebay. I came from iphone 5 and I am loving it. The camera, especially the Nokia Pro Camera app is awesome. The amount of control you get with the camera is very nice. And I am digging Glance. It is great at night (I don't use a separate alarm clock) when I wake up in the middle of the night. Nice screen and the phone feels good in the hand.

You always hear the complaints about missing particular apps but so far I am not really running into that. I also like the fact that I got it for less than $199 purchased outright with no new contract.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I ad been on the 822 and just won a 928 at the Opportunity Rings event at the MS Store. Was hoping the Icon would be one of the selections (the 1520 and 1020 were, so if I were not under contract I would have thought of either one of those). Black matte as well. Well built, feels nice, works well. Instantly moved to WP8.1 (I had done this on my 822). My Start Screen, Contacts, Apps (after download from the Store), Tile background, Lock Screen, and much more all came in with my backup. Really awesome to not have to worry about setting up my Start Screen from scratch again.

Looking more and more like WP8.1 is the goto platform for continuity from phone to phone. I'll be able to start wherever I'm at when I upgrade next time (probably at the end of the year) - and I may do it cross carrier, depending on price. With discounts for off contract plans at most carriers now, I may just buy unlocked and find a good price for good service. That'll be December, but I was pining for something different to tide me over till then. The 928 works well for that - and I had been looking at them on eBay.

KCandSunshine13

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I, too, was a longtime BlackBerry user, until our IT department loosen up and allowed us to choose between BB, fruit or WP. While everyone in the office bit on the fruit, I waited to see if the BB Z10 was going to make it or not. I figured it was not going to work for me (even played with a Z10 & Q10 in 4 different stores); so, then I started researching the 928 last summer. After reading all of the different How-Tos; online tutorials and putting my hands on it in the stores, I told IT to order me the 928. I love it - even though I'm on my 3rd one. It is the right size for me hand. It takes amazing photos.

Issues I have with it are: the compass sensor goes out (that's why I'm on my 3rd - and soon to be 4th); the calendar app is weak (use a 3rd party one); Tasks/Notes from desktop version of Outlook don't work on the 928; Google & Microsoft don't play well with each other (need 3rd apps to complete a work around).

If I had to do it over again, I would still chose the 928. I have not had any issues with "frozen screens, hard resets, earphone jack doesn't work, camera rattles, screen streaks....etc." I'm looking forward to the 8.1 software upgrade this summer. It will bring the Windows Phone 8 up to par with the current fruit and yogurt phones; however, I don't think it will improve their market share all that much. People love to be haters of anything Microsoft because of that dreaded blue screen of death on their PCs.

If you can hold the Icon in your hand, I say go for it; otherwise, you won't be disappointed with the 928.

ThatLeoneGuy

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks KCandSunshine13 for the calendar tip. i do like the 928 but today at the VW store I played with the Icon and I like it. i am concerned how Win 8.1 is gonna play with the 928 so I am leaning toward the Icon as a future proof device but there is some charm with the 928.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks KCandSunshine13 for the calendar tip. i do like the 928 but today at the VW store I played with the Icon and I like it. i am concerned how Win 8.1 is gonna play with the 928 so I am leaning toward the Icon as a future proof device but there is some charm with the 928.

8.1 is playing just fine with my 928 right now. I'm sure there'll be a few firmware tweaks to improve it, but not problems thus far. Only 24 hours, though 8.1 worked just fine on my 822 as well.

For KC, the Win8.1 Calendar is FAR superior to the old standard calendar app. When you get the update, give it a spin. The Google issue stinks for Google users, though I point the finger at Google on that one. Microsoft has put plenty of their stuff on Android while Google does not reciprocate. MS would likely be willing to create several Google apps in they let them use the APIs, but no dice. WP8.1 improves quite a few things.

As for the Outlook Tasks, you can always automatically send them to OneNote. Then you'll have them on your phone there. Then you can write comments there too and they'll sync together.

KCandSunshine13

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
8.1 is playing just fine with my 928 right now. I'm sure there'll be a few firmware tweaks to improve it, but not problems thus far. Only 24 hours, though 8.1 worked just fine on my 822 as well.

For KC, the Win8.1 Calendar is FAR superior to the old standard calendar app. When you get the update, give it a spin. The Google issue stinks for Google users, though I point the finger at Google on that one. Microsoft has put plenty of their stuff on Android while Google does not reciprocate. MS would likely be willing to create several Google apps in they let them use the APIs, but no dice. WP8.1 improves quite a few things.

As for the Outlook Tasks, you can always automatically send them to OneNote. Then you'll have them on your phone there. Then you can write comments there too and they'll sync together.

Yes, I have been reading about all of the features coming with 8.1. It would not take much to improve the Calendar. I just can't figure out with so many PCs running Windows and most of them running MS Office w/ Outlook why the Windows Phone integration came out so weak; we had to wait for an upgrade. I do use OneNote quite a bit. It is very powerful software; however, I have not figured a way to set reminders in OneNote that will send notices on the desktop and the phone. I have a 3rd party app that syncs with our exchange server so, I do get reminders on my phone from Tasks I created in desktop Outlook.

I agree with you regarding Google & MS. Google is the source of our pain when it comes to using some Google stuff on a Windows Phone. I hope they come to some sort of an agreement soon.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

Yes, I have been reading about all of the features coming with 8.1. It would not take much to improve the Calendar. I just can't figure out with so many PCs running Windows and most of them running MS Office w/ Outlook why the Windows Phone integration came out so weak; we had to wait for an upgrade. I do use OneNote quite a bit. It is very powerful software; however, I have not figured a way to set reminders in OneNote that will send notices on the desktop and the phone. I have a 3rd party app that syncs with our exchange server so, I do get reminders on my phone from Tasks I created in desktop Outlook.

I agree with you regarding Google & MS. Google is the source of our pain when it comes to using some Google stuff on a Windows Phone. I hope they come to some sort of an agreement soon.

I doubt Google will do anything until WP growth hurts them. That will most likely come in the business sector first. I think Windows 8.1 and WP are growing strongly there. They don't like that MS is collecting patent royalties on Android plus other things. As much as they publicly encourage the "don't be evil" mantra in public, behind the scenes it is a different story.

I'm an oddball in that I don't think Google will be much more than Yahoo 2.0 in five years. 90% of their revenue is from ad sales and their per ad revenue is declining (actually, Bing just passed them in per ad revenue). This means they need to sell more ads to make up for lost revenue, which likely will mean more and more intrusive methods. Couple that with Android issues and the potential for a dumping lawsuit (already being investigated for that in several EU nations) and the potential exists for a huge nosedive for them and their services. Android is dominate now, but the elimination of OEM licensing for Windows Phone could play out in an interesting manner down the line. That saves OEMs from having to pay a patent fee and likely gives them some indemnity from MS, who has a massive portfolio. I think we'll see OEMs begin to push more WP handsets beginning this summer and try to shift the balance so they are less reliant on Google and their services. When they feel they can survive without Google, the dumping lawsuits will begin, asserting that Google enriched themselves on the backs of Samsung, LG, HTC, etc by claiming Android to be "free" when they knew it did not have patent clearance. The OEMs will seek to recover every dime paid out in patent licenses plus damages - and there'll likely be a settlement at some point that will end up ending Android as a platform from Google. Sounds crazy and it won't happen tomorrow, but I think in five years there will be no Android. There may be other things out there, but companies like Google don't tend to be able to be so large for very long. They collapse when they have no real product to sell like Yahoo or AOL or whoever else in that vein.

Sorry about the rant. I don't think Google helps themselves by treating their WP loyal users like second class citizens. I know MS would be happy to make several Google apps. I never thought I'd be in a place where I'd look at MS as the good guys. They were the bad guys in the 90s IMO, yet they seem like one of the best citizens in tech over the past several years.

ThatLeoneGuy

May 1, 2014
Visit site
My goodness, what did I start? Very interesting about Microsoft and Google. I bought a Chromebook a few months back. I don't mind that it is a web browser machine. I do mind their file management system. Its clumsey and awkward. Photos get saved to Google+, moving files around is not pretty and Google Hangouts is just too complicated. That's why I am going to replace it with a Surface and keyboard combo. Then, my laptop, phone and tablet will all be Win-based. This is coming from a guy who has been a true blue Mac user sine 1988. Its just that Microsoft really nailed it with Win 8.1. Its elegant, sophisticated and easy to use. In other words, it's for grown-ups! To think my motto used to be: "Friends don't let friends do Windows." funny how things can change. BTW, i am really digging the 928 that I don't think an Icon is in the cards. The 928 will suit my needs for the next two years and who knows what Win phones there will be in 2016.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
My goodness, what did I start? Very interesting about Microsoft and Google. I bought a Chromebook a few months back. I don't mind that it is a web browser machine. I do mind their file management system. Its clumsey and awkward. Photos get saved to Google+, moving files around is not pretty and Google Hangouts is just too complicated. That's why I am going to replace it with a Surface and keyboard combo. Then, my laptop, phone and tablet will all be Win-based. This is coming from a guy who has been a true blue Mac user sine 1988. Its just that Microsoft really nailed it with Win 8.1. Its elegant, sophisticated and easy to use. In other words, it's for grown-ups! To think my motto used to be: "Friends don't let friends do Windows." funny how things can change. BTW, i am really digging the 928 that I don't think an Icon is in the cards. The 928 will suit my needs for the next two years and who knows what Win phones there will be in 2016.
You gonna love the OneDrive, calendar and Xbox music integration between your 928 and your Surface when you get it.

nusense

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
You gonna love the OneDrive, calendar and Xbox music integration between your 928 and your Surface when you get it.

That's why i love wp and windows 8.1. Everything is sync'd up. From Onedrive to calendar. What's nice is at glance, I use my 925 as a clock and calendar reminder. With this stand I get more use of my wp.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

I'm one who went to Apple back in 2002 after bad experiences with Windows 2000. Never went to XP, but bought an iBook, got an iPod in 2003, and was a huge fab. Later bought an iMac and two more iPods over time, but then the iMac went bad after 15 months due to bad Chinese capacitors - a problem in the industry at the time. AppleCare could not be sold in my state (Florida) due to law, though when I attempted to buy it for my iBook, Apple refunded me my money for the plan due to the law and COMPED me AppleCare. Was a great thing for them to do, but fast forward to a time when they had conquered the world with the iPod and the iPhone was really rolling and everything changed. Dell, Gateway, HP, and everyone on the PC side fixed the computers with the cap problems, warranty or no. Apple refused and told me I needed to just buy a new iMac from them. Built a new PC instead with quad-core and good specs for less and went with Vista, which was okay. Got the Windows 7 Beta and I was impressed. I then got a Zune HD and left the Apple ecosystem behind. Not to knock the iPods of old, but that Zune HD is STILL a heck of a music player. Had it for 4.5 years and still can't just set it aside for a phone instead. Still have Music Pass too with the ten tracks included per month.

All that said, Apple does at least offer their customers product and experience inside their ecosystem. They've pushed things forward in UI in some areas just as Microsoft has in others. MS really got me hooked with Windows Phone. I had resisted smartphones for a time, but WP was such a radical difference. It wasn't just grids of icons. Microsoft had come up with something new - and it'd been fun seeing them refine it and respond fairly quickly to user feedback. That's the part that really blows my mind - a company that was so set in its ways just shifting to fairly frequent updates in such a small space of time. The definitely have no intention of becoming IBM if they can help it.

I actually think we may see Apple and MS snuggle up a bit more in the near future. I think both of them actually DESPISE Google. They are big partners on the Rockstar patent holding company that bought out the Nortel patents and is suing Google, Samsung, HTC, etc. Android is likely to keep getting more and more expense on the patent coverage front.

That is an OS I don't get. My brother plans on moving to WP from Android in the future, but not yet. So I went looking at Android phones with him after we stopped by the Microsoft Store over the weekend. It was amazing how different KitKat was in function from the S5 to the One M8 to the Xperia and then compared to older versions on the Nexus 5 and other phones. Buttons didn't always do the same thing. It left me amazed that people would actually WANT to buy these things when even the functions between the S4 and S5 have some pretty big differences. At least iOS and Windows Phone offer predictability across devices.

As for the 928, I get digging it. It's a nice phone. Heck, a year ago it probably had the best camera available on a phone before the 1020 hit. It's not as good now in comparison, but it's still quite good. The audio recording is some of the best on any phone - really staggering. I've heard soundboard quality stuff recorded in concerts from the audience on these things - and the Icon improves it even further. Nice, vibrant screen. The build is pretty good to me, though I've seen some complaints. I know four others that have them and all of them LOVE the 928 - and they all came over from Android or the iPhone. I've also gotten a lot of attention over the past few days of having it. The matte black version looks VERY sharp and the curved glass screen stands out. My contract is up at the end of the year, so I'll see what happens then. I think we're going to have a lot of options coming from Nokia under MS, but also from Samsung, HTC, LG, and maybe even Lenovo/Moto plus the persistent rumors of Sony announcing Windows Phone over the summer. I think we're on the cusp of some huge growth for Windows Phone and Windows 8.1.

Wait until you get Windows Phone 8.1 on that thing. Fantastic OS. Love asking Cortana to remind me to get something at a store and walking up to the store with my phone alerting me. That's just one of so many cool things. They are really listening to feedback and reacting quickly. It reminds me of how Apple was before they became the behemoth they are today. Back in 2002, they were huge innovators and they had a community of enthusiast developers. Windows Phone has that right now. I just want MS to keep it fresh and exciting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)