Anyone Switch from a iPhone 5/5S?

MA83

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
does the icon have 8.1 yet? if not, any idea when?

You have to remember that the windows phones like every other phone will get the updates rolled out after being vetted by the carrier too. The nice thing about MS and WP is that MS releases developer previews of their OS's before the official releases to the carriers which can be installed on the phone at anytime. Just create a free dev account and 8.1 away!

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Just switched from an iPhone 5S to Lumia 1020, and after a week some of my iPhone friends messages are trying to be sent via iMessage instead of text/SMS. This is very frusterating, i disabled iMessage and reboot the phone before getting rid of it...my wife's iPhone 5S attempts to send iMessage, fails and automatically sends Text, my other buddy with an iPhone 5 sends Text automatically...while my other friend with an iPhone 4S just keeps sending iMessage, he has to manually force it to send as text. I have reset my Apple ID and removed my number from Apple support, still having issues. Make sure you get this figured out before switching.

bgl321

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just switched from an iPhone 5S to Lumia 1020, and after a week some of my iPhone friends messages are trying to be sent via iMessage instead of text/SMS. This is very frusterating, i disabled iMessage and reboot the phone before getting rid of it...my wife's iPhone 5S attempts to send iMessage, fails and automatically sends Text, my other buddy with an iPhone 5 sends Text automatically...while my other friend with an iPhone 4S just keeps sending iMessage, he has to manually force it to send as text. I have reset my Apple ID and removed my number from Apple support, still having issues. Make sure you get this figured out before switching.

Other than the iMessage mess are you happy you made the switch?

Deceptiion

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

I was just going to say that too. I currently have the Lumia 822 and I had to get it replaced cause it broke. So while I was waiting for my new 822 to come in I had to use the iPhone 4S in the meantime. And when I switched to the new 822 I noticed that everyone who had an iPhone couldn't send me a text anymore because it was sending it to me as an iMessage still. I tried to remove my phone number from my Apple ID, unregister the iPhone and reset my password. but none of that seems to work.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Other than the iMessage mess are you happy you made the switch?

I had a 920 last year, renewed my contract with the iPhone 5S to give iOS another shot...after a month i regretted it. My first smartphone was the iPhone 3G, like most of us when it launched it was the greatest thing since sliced bread..but after 2 years i got tired of it and moved on once we had other options. So with the release of iOS7 and considering the resale value of an iPhone is high, i figured what the hell. Let me say, iPhone for everything i needed worked excellent...my only complaints were Siri (connectivity issues to servers, no responses at times, just a mess), lack of customization and camera. I am not a App heavy user, primarily use my phone for calling, texting, web surfing, reading news, emails and of course taking photos. Windows Phone does all those things very well, the only issue i have with 1020, just like the 920, is battery life. It's not horrible, iPhone's battery lasts much longer in idle/standby. With that said i can get through a full day no problem, i'd consider myself a medium user...i could get through 1.5 days on my 5S.

Even with the SMS/Text and battery issues i still dont regret returning to Windows, but again i knew what i was getting (since i had a WP7 and WP8 prior)

Last edited:

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I was just going to say that too. I currently have the Lumia 822 and I had to get it replaced cause it broke. So while I was waiting for my new 822 to come in I had to use the iPhone 4S in the meantime. And when I switched to the new 822 I noticed that everyone who had an iPhone couldn't send me a text anymore because it was sending it to me as an iMessage still. I tried to remove my phone number from my Apple ID, unregister the iPhone and reset my password. but none of that seems to work.

Are you still having the issue? How long ago was this?

You would think Apple would set a TTL on the cache of iMessage to avoid this sort of scenario...unless they enjoy making it a pain for the users who want to leave.

jexner325

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't think you are alone in looking at the switch to the Icon. I currently have a 5S and while I like it, I am a little jaded on iOS7 and am tired of "hoping" that Apple comes out with a bigger screen with better improvements to iOS. Your concerns are legit; I too have tried Android devices and have found the OS to be a confusing mess and the WP appears to be the best of both worlds. My biggest concern, along with iMessage, is the integration with my Macbook. I enjoy transferring my music and movies that I have bought through iTunes and am concerned they won't play nice. My other hesitation; I am fully engrained in the Apple ecosystem and by having one device that doesn't fit in that ecosystem, it can make things a bit more difficult.

I actually think it may be easier to switch out everything else first; Macbook for a PC, iPad for a Surface and then eventually the Icon/WP because then the ecosystem will be easier to manage. Maybe someone on the forum has some suggestions on this? I also have an Xbox One and wonder if having a WP improves that experience or if it matters?

I used to be a die hard windows guy and switched to the iPhone which started the switch to the Apple ecosystem. With all of the changes to Apple I am losing a bit of my desire to stay in the ecosystem.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
You have a good reason to consider the ecosystem, esp if you use icloud at all (everyone who is part of it usually does). There are options to do everything on windows, but it will take some adjusting (esp if you swap everything).

My setup: Surface pro 2, Lumia 1020, windows 7 desktop

For work I have a Mac book Pro and just don't care for the OS, I just Remote to my windows PC. It runs excellent on process mgmt, never lags...but the OSx is not something I personally enjoy.

iOS is an excellent stable OS much like its parent, but the UI and system are a bore for me. I started with a 3G, greatest thing at its time..to 5S which was cool...but no, sorry still too the same for me...so I'm back on WP8.

I've got an Xbox one as well, use the Xbox one smartglass app...and if upload needed OneDrive. It all works well, but still different from osX.

IPhone 6 will have a bigger screen, if that will satisfy theb id say to wait for the reveal before making a decision because the leaks point to a S3 size? My 2 cents.

Me? I'm very satisfied with Windows devices, there's room for work but I believe they may be finally on the right track...however only time will tell :)

Deceptiion

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Are you still having the issue? How long ago was this?

You would think Apple would set a TTL on the cache of iMessage to avoid this sort of scenario...unless they enjoy making it a pain for the users who want to leave.

Yeah I am still having the issue, and i switched back from the iPhone to the 822 in the beginning of April.

I had the same imessage issue. Call apple care and they will resolve it

Ok I will try that later to see if that works thanks!

Easiest way to solve this is to change you Apple ID password.

I tried that and I'm still having issues.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I am still having the issue, and i switched back from the iPhone to the 822 in the beginning of April.

I think i resolved my issue, logged into my work Mac Pro with my Apple ID and changed my target to be my email for iMessage...then added a second email, and then used that as my target for iMessage. My friends are reporting that either SMS (green on iPhone) is automatic (without attempting iMessage) or it will show delivered as iMessage (blue) but it reaches my phone now too (i guess it is delivered via imessage since its going to my email now). So if Apple Care isn't helpful i'd suggest finding a friends Apple device and trying this method to change the target settings.

SEAL62505

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Also looking to try out WP (currently have 5S)
What are the options for the equivalent of Apple's find my friends? (Allows someone to look to see where you are without actively needing to send them your location)
Also, I am assuming you can still get your gmail delivered to the phone? (I know there aren't going to be dedicated Google apps)

Thanks!

MA83

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Also looking to try out WP (currently have 5S)
What are the options for the equivalent of Apple's find my friends? (Allows someone to look to see where you are without actively needing to send them your location)
Also, I am assuming you can still get your gmail delivered to the phone? (I know there aren't going to be dedicated Google apps)

Thanks!

Yes and your contacts and calendar transfer seamlessly as well.

SEAL62505

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
If I were to buy an Icon from someone (not a Verizon store) can I just pop my iphone sim into it? I believe they are both nano sim. Is there anything Verizon needs to change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
If I were to buy an Icon from someone (not a Verizon store) can I just pop my iphone sim into it? I believe they are both nano sim. Is there anything Verizon needs to change?
Typically, you can just pop the SIM in. Verizon prefers you actually swap the ESN on the backend, though.

Last edited:

MA83

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

Yes. But it's not that difficult. Just a quick call to Verizon's automated system.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers