Weird "flying app list" animation...

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if I'm the only one who has this..but does your 820 on WP8.1 have a strange, muddled "app-list" flying everytime you press the Start key?

I have installed WP8.1 on another 720 too but strangely it looks fine.

But everytime I click Start key, the Tiles coming with a strange muddled app list.

It usually goes very fast so I can't capture it...

But here's what it looks like..sort of...

Anyone else thinks it's weird?

Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1!

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
8ymusyqu.png

Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I see your picture.. yes, that's normal. It's the Start animation. There IS a glimpse of the apps list in there as the Start tiles all fall into place I've noticed. I think the Dev Preview lags a little here (on my 1020 it does anyway) but I think once we get the Cyan firmware to match the new OS, it'll be a lot smoother.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I see your picture.. yes, that's normal. It's the Start animation. There IS a glimpse of the apps list in there as the Start tiles all fall into place I've noticed. I think the Dev Preview lags a little here (on my 1020 it does anyway) but I think once we get the Cyan firmware to match the new OS, it'll be a lot smoother.

I just hope it does..because it's seriously an eye sore..this was the single most beautiful thing in the OS and just looks so muddled now. Though technically I know why it is happening...cause the Flying Windows animation is quickened with 8.1, the app list still flies at the speed of WP8, we have an ugly "flying app list" in the BG... :(

Sent from iCeborg's iPad.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
You can see the app list fly out a little better if you have 3 column mode enabled but yes it goes by so fast it looks very jumbled and not nearly as elegant to what we had in 8.0.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
You can see the app list fly out a little better if you have 3 column mode enabled but yes it goes by so fast it looks very jumbled and not nearly as elegant to what we had in 8.0.

Thank you thank you thank you my friend. Finally someone acknowledges it! Yes...in fact, this idea struck me today too about the 3 tile arrangement, but I am not carrying my Lumia today.

I am at work and I need to have an Android device. So..gonna do this once (immediately) reach home...

I am checking this on YouTube on various other high-end phones with the 8.1 update...and it's the same everywhere...The list looks muddled.

1. - 1:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMorq14RQd0

2. - 3:08/3:09

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW1OXrds8p8

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Nope. Like Kram Sacul said, "...but yes it goes by so fast it looks very jumbled and not nearly as elegant to what we had in 8.0."

I couldn't have put it better.

Ok now I see it, you mean the app list goes from behind the start screen tiles as it animates. I think it's the new animations of 8.1. Here's a rough sketch.

1.png

8 is left and 8.1 is on the right. The start screen has 2 panes but operates as one like a panoramic app.
On 8, notice that the plane is flat and the turning point starts on the left, like closing a door when you leave a room.
On 8.1, the new animations seems to 'detach' the plane from the screen, so the turning point actually starts somewhere along the back button. This is really noticeable when browsing the settings menu, see how the 8.1 animation 'curves' a bit than 8. So what happens now is the two planes overlap, with 8.1 animations being faster so it gives that muddled look.

Hard to explain with just illustrations, but I hope you get what I mean.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok now I see it, you mean the app list goes from behind the start screen tiles as it animates. I think it's the new animations of 8.1. Here's a rough sketch.

View attachment 66273

8 is left and 8.1 is on the right. The start screen has 2 panes but operates as one like a panoramic app.
On 8, notice that the plane is flat and the turning point starts on the left, like closing a door when you leave a room.
On 8.1, the new animations seems to 'detach' the plane from the screen, so the turning point actually starts somewhere along the back button. This is really noticeable when browsing the settings menu, see how the 8.1 animation 'curves' a bit than 8. So what happens now is the two planes overlap, with 8.1 animations being faster so it gives that muddled look.

Hard to explain with just illustrations, but I hope you get what I mean.

That's the MOST PRECISE explanation I have ever read about MY own issue. Yes, I get the point and that's my issue. Even I realized it a day back. The "app list" in the back ground is seen right form the back button in WP8.1, EXACTLY like you said. The WP8 is looks much much neater and refined.
This honestly looks like a shoddy job.

PS: Is there any way we could point this out to MS? They need to fix is ASAP.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
On the first day, I thought it is happening cause of the fast animation in Wp8.1. But the real issue is, the app panel is seen right from the left side of the screen to the right. In WP8, it magically is seen ONLY at the end of the animation, towards the right side of the screen.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
On faster phones it does not look like the 820 examples.
Looks good on my 920 with just the top 1/3 of the screen rotating to flat.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm really hoping this stray app list animation 'issue' gets resolved. From the looks of it, it's an attempt at making the animations faster by animating the app list separately.

Microsoft should really make the old animation available as an option.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm really hoping this stray app list animation 'issue' gets resolved. From the looks of it, it's an attempt at making the animations faster by animating the app list separately.

Microsoft should really make the old animation available as an option.

But someone needs to tell them that...

Coded from a Clover Trail+ Machine!

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It's clearly an artistic decision to have the app list fly in from behind the start screen tiles. Like some other new animations in 8.1 it looks weird because it goes by so fast. Other than that I have no problem with it.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
It's clearly an artistic decision to have the app list fly in from behind the start screen tiles. Like some other new animations in 8.1 it looks weird because it goes by so fast. Other than that I have no problem with it.

Same here. I have a feeling its cause of a mismatch between the WP8 and 8.1 speeds. Obviously the speed of 8.1 tiles is more, and they forgot to increase the speed of the app list in the background.. Sigh...

Coded from a Clover Trail+ Machine!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb