Newbie Alert, Proud owner of the 1020

nordon1973

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Hello all. New to the forums, Windowsphone central and to my lovely shiny yellow Nokia Lumia 1020.
My reason in posting is for advice, tips settings advice, the lot really. My friend help me update to 8.1 via the preview thingy lol.
Loving the camera & slowly working around the OS, luckily stumbling upon this website.
I'd love peoples views and help from apps to camera settings etc.m
Any help would be truly very gratefully received.
I apologise if I've started this thread wrongly. Like I said I'm new to all this.
Many thanks!

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
id have a read through the forums play with your new gadget and get back to us with some more defined questions that we can help with you ;-) but how are you enjoying your new phone , I must say I do love my 1020 ;-)

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
welcome to WPC!
first! Install HD Photo Viewer 8.1 since the apps are not shown in full resolution in the default photo hub!
there are certain apps for editing if you like to edit....like Nokia Creative Studio, Fantasia Painter. there are others too, I like these two the most!
you can change the uploading settings....they upload the full resolution pics only through wi-fi......again there's an option to which quality pictures you want to upload..!!
I've dropped my phone a couple of times....let's say I've slippery hands...and there's a small dent at the corner of the phone....hope you've a case!
and if ever you hear a whirring or any sound from your phone don't be scared, it's just the ball bearings in the camera! It's amazing!
hope you enjoy it :)

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the party 😊 gz on such an astute purchase.

As for tips, make sure your camera is set to Nokia camera as default (not wp camera).

Have a play with OneDrive if you haven't used it yet, it's fantastic and plays very nice with wp.

Start some "rooms" on your phone with any friends and family that have wp. It's probably the single best feature of the os.

nordon1973

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Ah great stuff and thank you for the warm welcome. Brilliant tips by the way. I'm slowly getting to grip's with the phone and although coming from a different OS that I was so use to I'm loving windows!! Trying to sort out Cortana but guessing its just for the US at the mo. Not wanting to change regions so ill have to wait until she's released to the UK. This phone takes amazing photos. Finding it takes awhile to upload to OneDrive should I lower the picture res or will that ruin the photo itself?? Again thanks for the support guys & gals!! 😉👌

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to WP!! Cortana is worth changing your regions for, provided you download your region-specific apps before making the change. I'm in Canada, and she works without a hitch. (although I don't have a strong accent to speak of) And if you like you can always reverse the region change. 8.1 soft rest is really fast. My Ativ S boots from powered off in 20 seconds flat post update.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99