I just got a replacement Lumia 920 from Nokia Care, and the first time I booted it up (without a sim card, battery seems to be 50% or more full), I got an exclamation mark.

It booted up normally, and the phone functions normally (so far). I read that the exclamation mark only comes after a reset. Did I just get a refurbished phone or do they always reset phones prior to handing them over to clients as replacements?
    05-05-2014 04:55 AM
    I would think you got a refurbished phone. Which have the same warranty as a brand new one.
    Adriaan NL likes this.
    05-05-2014 05:09 AM
    I would think you got a refurbished phone. Which have the same warranty as a brand new one.
    Well, no, the old warranty stays (less than 1 month... how lucky I am, well my mom...), although the warranty for the same problem (dead/ bricked phone) extends to 6 months now.

But refurbished or not - he looks like new. I won't complain, even though it's good to know what I just got.
    05-05-2014 05:26 AM
    90% of the time replacement handsets are refurbished.
    05-06-2014 05:08 AM
    90% of the time replacement handsets are refurbished.
    How do you know? That's not a nice thought ... if your phone dies within one month, then you need to walk around the next 2 years with a second hand phone? A little unfair I'd say!
    05-06-2014 09:40 AM
    How do you know? That's not a nice thought ... if your phone dies within one month, then you need to walk around the next 2 years with a second hand phone? A little unfair I'd say!
    I actually work for a cell phone carrier. I won't say which one, but when replacement phones are sent out they are refurbished (or used, returned within x amount of days) and look brand new. I would imagine big business would be the same between carrier and manufacturer.
    Adriaan NL likes this.
    05-06-2014 10:40 AM
    LOL did you really think they just gave you a brand new device without even repairing yours? They gave you a refurbished one, your phone will be repaired and it will be given to another user in exchange of his own...
    05-06-2014 12:28 PM
    LOL did you really think they just gave you a brand new device without even repairing yours? They gave you a refurbished one, your phone will be repaired and it will be given to another user in exchange of his own...
    Don't ask what phone I sent in and how long the warranty was still valid... Because I did not send a 920. So, I don't understand why I got the grand prize! I was even allowed to choose the color, so Nokia Care literally "cares"... I am very happy with my replacement which is in pristine condition.

And Citrus, thanks for that info. I always wondered what exactly I would get in return. And, how often do you get refurbished devices back? Because a few months ago, I got a replacement 900 for a dead 800. But that replacement 900 had to be replaced as well, due to various (TONS) serious issues. Was this just an unlucky device/ the joys of the 800/900 series, or do refurbished devices come back more often?
    05-06-2014 02:43 PM
    Its a crap shoot if refurbs come back more. The lemon policy/unlucky still applies. Since every refurb is "tested", it doesn't surprise me that some slip through.
    05-08-2014 06:18 PM
    It all depends on what's in stock too (if a phone is no longer produced or they have a ton of stock of something)
    Adriaan NL likes this.
    05-08-2014 06:19 PM
    Thanks Citrus! The modus operandi is a bit clearer now :-)
    CitrusMocha likes this.
    05-10-2014 04:44 AM
    You did not received a refurbish because of this exclamation mark because I just received it and I reinserted my sim card in my phone ! I didnt do any reset of anything else all is fine with it!
    10-29-2015 10:27 AM