Creaking/Popping sound coming from the back of the Lumia Icon?

MJ217

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I just received my new Nokia Lumia Icon from Fedex today. I thought this phone would feel completely solid. However, whenever I press on the back of the phone near the Nokia logo, there is a pop/creak. Is this common?

In addition, my SIM card cant be activated??

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I just received my new Nokia Lumia Icon from Fedex today. I thought this phone would feel completely solid. However, whenever I press on the back of the phone near the Nokia logo, there is a pop/creak. Is this common?

In addition, my SIM card cant be activated??

Yes, that is common. And it still feels solid. No one pushes on that part of the phone.

If you're on Verizon, give them a call and they'll activate it for you.

MJ217

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Frankly, I pick up my phone and hold it with my left hand. I can't stop holding that side. The noise it makes is very irritating.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Frankly, I pick up my phone and hold it with my left hand. I can't stop holding that side. The noise it makes is very irritating.

Sorry to hear that. I hope it gets better. You may just need to adjust the way you habitually hold the phone. It's not that the phone is any less solid, just that that one part of the device isn't as filled out. The thing that makes it truly solid is the brushed aluminum band on the perimeter of the phone.

Were you at least able to get it activated?

MJ217

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to hear that. I hope it gets better. You may just need to adjust the way you habitually hold the phone. It's not that the phone is any less solid, just that that one part of the device isn't as filled out. The thing that makes it truly solid is the brushed aluminum band on the perimeter of the phone.

Were you at least able to get it activated?

It didn't take long for the Verizon rep to get the SIM working. I am not used to hearing any sqeaking or popping so I am not sure if I can get over it occasionally happening.

I do plan to put a case on it as I would like to keep the phone as scratch free as possible. Would a case help with that?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It didn't take long for the Verizon rep to get the SIM working. I am not used to hearing any sqeaking or popping so I am not sure if I can get over it occasionally happening.

I do plan to put a case on it as I would like to keep the phone as scratch free as possible. Would a case help with that?

Depends on the case. If you get something more rugged like an otterbox, trident, or incipio hard, you'll probably never hear it. I don't use a case. I also don't have any scratches on the phone. And I've only ever heard the squeak when I intentionally try to produce the noise. You might be overestimating how much you'll actually hear it in the day-to-day. But to each his own.

vepac

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
If you want the phone to feel like there is almost nothing on it but want to stop that, get the incipio feather. I haven't had that problem since I have not used the phone without my incipio feather case. Though I am thinking of going to the Incipio DualPro for an extra layer of protection.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

MJ217

May 1, 2014
Visit site
i don't notice it as much now. Although, being quite clumsy with my phones, I will probably get the Incipio DualPro or the PureGear Slimm Shell.

I like the design of the phone so I want to hide it as little as possible, but still have a little extra protection.

reicher

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
I have had the Icon since release day.
At first the back case was solid and did not click or move around at all.
Now, after a few months it seems loose and clicks and is actually driving me crazy.
I know it's a little issue, and that's why I haven't asked them the swap me out for a new one (which they said they would do) but I think it's to the point I am going to.
It definitely didn't do this when it was new.
And, BTW, I have not dropped or otherwise bumped or mashed the handset.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
If you want the phone to feel like there is almost nothing on it but want to stop that, get the incipio feather. I haven't had that problem since I have not used the phone without my incipio feather case.
+1 for this case ^
Love the simplicity of it, the feel it gives the icon and the matte back. I may have the issue mentioned but I wouldn't know with this case on. Really gives the phone a nice feel in hand IMO.

Bora777

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I was afraid of this. I've had this problem on my 925 almost since day one, and I know it's not isolated because all three 925s in my family have this creaky back cover problem, as do many demo sets I've played with in stores. The moment I saw the Icon/930's design I knew it would be a potential issue and that's what's holding me off from getting the 930. It seems Nokia has trouble keeping the thin plastic back cover solid when combined with the metal frame because the plastic has to be flimsy enough to be removed for repairs.

It sounds like a trivial matter but it really does spoil the overall impression of quality from the phone. Even cheaply made Samsungs always have perfectly snug-fitted, creak-free plastic back covers.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

Same here, unfortunately mine has gotten worse over time, seems to be exacerbated by QI charger and the back heading up

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs