Lumia Icon Camera - Blurry Pictures

YaDumb

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I am a frequent concert goer (usually 5+ a month) and since I got my Icon a few months ago I find myself having to screenshot my videos rather than use the pictures I took during the show. Don't get me wrong, the Icon does take the best videos I've seen on a phone and the sound is perfect. But my pictures always seem to end up blurry rather even when I am holding still. I use the Nokia Procam app and tried the stock app but even changing the settings and modes doesn't help.

Any recommendations for good apps or tricks?

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I am not a professional photographer
but I have seen some very good photo's taken with the Icon at night.
It's not easy though.

And many, if not all, are Post Processed through Photoshop or some other software.

Changing to the Highest ISO and Shutter Speed will do nothing for you, in all conditions.
That is not an answer.

The Camera is not great at long shots without being in really good lighting, as in bight day light.
The camera is best used at about a 5 feet away indoors with indirect incandescent lighting (aka low light conditions), maybe further, depending on how well you can choose the right settings, and maybe a tripod.
You will still get the low light issues (grainy areas, and you can try to over come them by getting to know the settings
(ie, knowing light, ISO, Shutter Speed)

These are the numbers you need to research and become familiar with,
Sensor size: 1/2.5 inch
Main camera f-number/aperture: f/2.4 (a.k.a. F-Stop)
Camera focal length: 26 mm
Camera minimum focus range: 10 cm
Flash operating range: 3.0 m

Keep in mind that better lighting will give better results at a distance.

Because this is a fixed F-Stop, it's not easy to adjust for many conditions.

Each of these links below will give a little general information based on the lens we have.

Understanding Camera Lenses
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/wide-angle-lenses.htm

How to Take Photos in Low Light – PictureCorrect
What Does The MM Mean On A Lens? - Digital Photo Secrets

How to take awesome low light photos without a tripod or flash - Conversations

Last edited:

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I guess I should have asked a better question.

Is the entire image blurry (camera shake)? Or is it motion blur (moving people or objects blurry)?

If it is the former, then try getting closer as tepid says. That will reduce camera shake by not having to zoom in as much. You can also try to use a rail or a wall to stabilize your phone. Another way is to not shoot with your arms outstretched, if at all possible. Keep your elbows in close to your sides that will add a little more stability.

If the latter, there is a "Sport" setting that you can try. Also, you can try upping your shutter speed, but that won't help a whole lot if you are in a low light situation. The fact that your videos are in focus leads me to believe you are not having a focus problem

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Play with the manual settings for shutter, etc. Dark shots obviously take longer to shoot, so its harder to get shots that aren't blurry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos