Is the Lumia 520 still cutting it?

Vladimir Hidalgo

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, I feel like my little but lovely Lumia 520 hardware it's not going to be able to keep the WP updates in the near future.

I mean, no compass, no glance, no HD screen, the CPU/RAM, etc, etc.

It's showing signs of lag with WP8.1 when extra tiles are enabled.

What do you think?, it's worthless to buy any new Lumia 520/620 at this point?.

I think Lumia 520 will stay in the history pretty much the same as the BlackBerry 8520 was (what a coincidence in numbers).

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
The 620 has NFC, glance and a compass, but still only 512MB of memory and the same CPU/GPU, but I don't see any lag with the extra tiles enabled on WP8.1. However the 620 wasn't as popular so it's already out of production - am guessing that's since the 625 came out (which isn't much of a successor if you ask me - a few different features and a bigger display, but still stuck with 512MB memory). Lumia 720 and below are all 512MB devices, save for the 525 which is a 1GB.

Conversely, the 520 is a budget phone to begin with, so will lack some of the more high end features anyway. Aside from having a flash, front camera, NFC and glance, the 620 is pretty much identical (it was classed as "mid-range" when it first came out I believe, along with the 720).

Ultimately, if you're after more features you would be better off with an 820 or higher. Personally, I'm going for the 1320.

modalstorm1195

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I have the 520 too and I feel the same like you. I mean all the new lumias have 1 GB or more and some other great features I wish I had. And I only had this one for exactly 2 months. Maybe the next year I will change it. My opinion is you should keep the 520 for a little while and earn money for a 920 or higher. A new 520 or 620 s it's not worthed right now. Cheers!

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
If you really want a budget phone I think the 525 is your best option, though I think it would be much smarter to get a 920 because you can get it for dirt cheap and it's way better than any budget wp!

dusann

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 520 is still great phone, it's worth to buy. Only few worth applications requares 1gb ram, if it's only problem go for lumia 525. But, if you need another features like front camera, better main camer and other stuff you need more budget for phone.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
The 520 is still getting it done for me. Works great with 8.1.

That said, I don't need the latest and greatest in a phone...just the basics. :)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It depends on you, as I realize i often end up saying.

The 520 will cut it if all you need is a solid el cheapo, no frills smartphone with a price tag to match.
It does lack numerous features like Qi support, NFC, 1 GB of RAM, but its important to remember its a budget device. Performance will obviously take a noticeable hit versus fancier devices, but it still works. My sister is OK with her 521. A lot of those features cut aren't mission critical for WP too. Glance isn't on non-Nokia phones, the display meets resolution requirements, despite lack-luster overall quality.

It should be set in terms of updates, it won't last forever of course, Worth noting the higher end a device is, the sooner Nokia pushes an update for it.

the question becomes whether the cut features and other tradeoffs are worth the often unbeatable value/price.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz