Can someone please help my jaded views on battery life with a 1520?

Garrett Leatham

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I came from Android with an original Galaxy Note. After two years of that phone the battery couldn't hold a charge for half a day idling, so I bought a new battery and could charge that every other day with my typical usage (can't use my phone at work, so basically after 5:00 pm its connected to wi-fi, downloading and updating apps, reading news, used it as a remote for my chromecast when watching netflix, youtube, etc., listening to music). I bought the Lumia 1520 and have no regrets, but everyone kept talking about this AMAZING battery life. Reviews on youtube and forums. And either it is impressive and I'm not impressed, or my phone has a dud battery (bought it off of ebay, unlocked and using it on T-Mobile).

If I don't have location, data, or wifi on and only use my phone when I need to, I can get 2 and a half days out of it. But the other day I had it connected to data (mostly 4G in my location), and by the end of my workshift, it had gone down almost 20%. Not sure if that is normal or not, as I never used it during that time, it only synced some apps (mail, weather, etc) but the display was never on, no calls or texts were made or received.

So can anyone shed some light on past phones that you owned that were plugged in more than once a day, or why you think the 1520 has great battery? Glad to be part of the forum and jump on the WP bandwagon!

PS. I updated to WP 8.1 probably 2 weeks after getting it, so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
PS. I updated to WP 8.1 probably 2 weeks after getting it, so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

This is most likely the source. Remember, beta released such as 8.1 will have all kinds of debugging turned on for analysis until the final release comes out

But, you should be getting more life out of your battery by the end of your workshift. I leave mine locked away all day as well until my workshift ends and I'm only down to 90+% when I get to it. Do you remember the last change you did to the phone before this battery life problem?

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Turn off WiFi sense. If you don't use Cortana turn her off, and set email to sync and a longer period (30 minutes). Turn off glance if you don't use it or set it to peek. Go into battery saver and turn off what apps you don't want to run in the background. I've gone 36 hours with light to medium use.

Garrett Leatham

May 6, 2014
Visit site
This is most likely the source. Remember, beta released such as 8.1 will have all kinds of debugging turned on for analysis until the final release comes out

But, you should be getting more life out of your battery by the end of your workshift. I leave mine locked away all day as well until my workshift ends and I'm only down to 90+% when I get to it. Do you remember the last change you did to the phone before this battery life problem?

I don't. Do you keep data on all day as well? I guess I'll just have to tinker with some apps and find out if there's one in particular. I'm not too worried about it, but one of the selling points of this phone for me was the battery.

Garrett Leatham

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Turn off WiFi sense. If you don't use Cortana turn her off, and set email to sync and a longer period (30 minutes). Turn off glance if you don't use it or set it to peek. Go into battery saver and turn off what apps you don't want to run in the background. I've gone 36 hours with light to medium use.

Thanks for the advice! I'll try this and let you know!

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't. Do you keep data on all day as well? I guess I'll just have to tinker with some apps and find out if there's one in particular. I'm not too worried about it, but one of the selling points of this phone for me was the battery.

Yes, I leave everything on all day. I probably should have used it a week before updating to 8.1, but I was too excited to try Cortana. So, I don't have a good baseline.

soy_corriendo

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm still on Windows Phone 8. My battery can't last more than a day before dying. I turn my phone off at school. So at 3:10, I'm at 96%. By 11:30, I'm at 28%. My battery overheats if I'm on Twitter or Instagram for a bit, on Youtube, or just having the screen on. I'm always on Wi-Fi, only 2 apps can run the background. Almost everything that I can think of is turned off to get the most of the 1520's battery.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm still on Windows Phone 8. My battery can't last more than a day before dying. I turn my phone off at school. So at 3:10, I'm at 96%. By 11:30, I'm at 28%. My battery overheats if I'm on Twitter or Instagram for a bit, on Youtube, or just having the screen on. I'm always on Wi-Fi, only 2 apps can run the background. Almost everything that I can think of is turned off to get the most of the 1520's battery.

How hot is it getting? How long do you watch YouTube? I can tell you watching any HD video will kill the battery asap.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
That will take a good 20-30% away if your not on WiFi and have a weak signal. Have you tried a soft or factory reset? Almost sounds like you have a roge app maybe. If you don't want to do a reset, dump all your apps and re install one at a time to find the problem, how old is your phone?

soy_corriendo

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
That will take a good 20-30% away if your not on WiFi and have a weak signal. Have you tried a soft or factory reset? Almost sounds like you have a roge app maybe. If you don't want to do a reset, dump all your apps and re install one at a time to find the problem, how old is your phone?

I'm on my 2nd Lumia. I've tried soft and hard resets. And I'm on a good WiFi connection. My phone is a week old.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I would do what I said with the apps, sounds like one isn't playing right. My battery life was a joke for the first week and a half but got way better. One thing to keep in mind is the #1 battery killer on any phone is the screen and your running a 6" 1080 display. One trick is to kill the phone, plug it in and in the morning reboot it and when you see the splash screen unplug it. I maybe wrong but I think you have a runaway app.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I came from Android with an original Galaxy Note. After two years of that phone the battery couldn't hold a charge for half a day idling, so I bought a new battery and could charge that every other day with my typical usage (can't use my phone at work, so basically after 5:00 pm its connected to wi-fi, downloading and updating apps, reading news, used it as a remote for my chromecast when watching netflix, youtube, etc., listening to music). I bought the Lumia 1520 and have no regrets, but everyone kept talking about this AMAZING battery life. Reviews on youtube and forums. And either it is impressive and I'm not impressed, or my phone has a dud battery (bought it off of ebay, unlocked and using it on T-Mobile).

If I don't have location, data, or wifi on and only use my phone when I need to, I can get 2 and a half days out of it. But the other day I had it connected to data (mostly 4G in my location), and by the end of my workshift, it had gone down almost 20%. Not sure if that is normal or not, as I never used it during that time, it only synced some apps (mail, weather, etc) but the display was never on, no calls or texts were made or received.

So can anyone shed some light on past phones that you owned that were plugged in more than once a day, or why you think the 1520 has great battery? Glad to be part of the forum and jump on the WP bandwagon!

Battery life is very good on the Lumia, before 8.1, I always had ~ 50% at the end of the day.

WinPhone 8.1 brought a whole new set of issues. Because of the nature of it (it really is Final Beta w/out the firmware updates) any number of apps could be affecting battery life - possibly Battery Saver is somewhat flawed.

First - because of what you have (8.1), I recommend re-booting @ least once a week (better every other day). The (lack of) firmware updates will have a major effect based on the subset of apps you use. Everyone's app usage is different, thus hard to pin it down. I've heard Cortana as the problem, based on my usage, it (she's) NOT. If you surf a bit, Battery Saver will show Internet Explorer as a high power consumer. Other issue I've noticed, is an issue with Wi-Fi persistence, doesn't always hold that Wi-Fi connection, sometimes searching, sometimes strong, sometimes limited - especially when you come home, back into the Wi-Fi zone.

Apps don't always close (I believe by design) check how much background load you're carrying. Battery Saver does indicate (& allow you to set) what apps are allowed to run in the background. BUT, if you remember from WinPhone 8, the disclaimer about NOT being able to totally restrict certain apps from running in the background.

Check your email sync settings, if it says 'based on usage' it's always polling, change that setting. On & on & on ...

Finally, if you notice issues, reboot or better - soft reset the phone (Hold POWER & VOLUME DOWN until phone vibrates ~ 10 seconds). That would clear up some issues

soy_corriendo

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I would do what I said with the apps, sounds like one isn't playing right. My battery life was a joke for the first week and a half but got way better. One thing to keep in mind is the #1 battery killer on any phone is the screen and your running a 6" 1080 display. One trick is to kill the phone, plug it in and in the morning reboot it and when you see the splash screen unplug it. I maybe wrong but I think you have a runaway app.
I will try that. I really appreciate the help.

Garrett Leatham

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Battery life is very good on the Lumia, before 8.1, I always had ~ 50% at the end of the day.

WinPhone 8.1 brought a whole new set of issues. Because of the nature of it (it really is Final Beta w/out the firmware updates) any number of apps could be affecting battery life - possibly Battery Saver is somewhat flawed.

First - because of what you have (8.1), I recommend re-booting @ least once a week (better every other day). The (lack of) firmware updates will have a major effect based on the subset of apps you use. Everyone's app usage is different, thus hard to pin it down. I've heard Cortana as the problem, based on my usage, it (she's) NOT. If you surf a bit, Battery Saver will show Internet Explorer as a high power consumer. Other issue I've noticed, is an issue with Wi-Fi persistence, doesn't always hold that Wi-Fi connection, sometimes searching, sometimes strong, sometimes limited - especially when you come home, back into the Wi-Fi zone.

Apps don't always close (I believe by design) check how much background load you're carrying. Battery Saver does indicate (& allow you to set) what apps are allowed to run in the background. BUT, if you remember from WinPhone 8, the disclaimer about NOT being able to totally restrict certain apps from running in the background.

Check your email sync settings, if it says 'based on usage' it's always polling, change that setting. On & on & on ...

Finally, if you notice issues, reboot or better - soft reset the phone (Hold POWER & VOLUME DOWN until phone vibrates ~ 10 seconds). That would clear up some issues

Awesome, I'll try all those things! Thanks!

dubr

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
With Lithium ion batteries, there sweet spots are 80-40%. Keep the charge floating between those percentages.
It's not good to keep lithion ion batts. Charged at 100% day in day out. Doing so slowing kill battery life.

Also, once a month let battery drain to 0% to allow phone to recalibrate charge readings.

All above are tips to maintain your battery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb