Verizon is pushing an update today!

AlastorX50

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
sorry to ask probably the worst question ever, but if i'm using a 929 on t-mobile, would i get the firmware update too? currently on wp8.1 -- don't want to roll back to 8.0 and then not get the update.

thanks!

It doesn't matter what carrier your on, The Lumia Icon (929) is from verizon so it will be pushed to your phone no matter what SIM is in the phone.

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
ok, did the downgrade upgrade thing on Friday night. it was definitely worth it for me.
transitioning between wifi networks and lte is greatly improved, never was I without a steady connection.
battery life is at 4%/hr. I have not had to wake my phone with the camera button either.(although the power button lag is still there, but just for a second).

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Would love to try downgrading, but when I started the download in the Nokia Recovery Tool it failed twice and now it permanently says that the package has been corrupted. I uninstalled and re-installed, tried to clear out all the directories and it still immediately says package corrupted.

Any ideas?

A.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Would love to try downgrading, but when I started the download in the Nokia Recovery Tool it failed twice and now it permanently says that the package has been corrupted. I uninstalled and re-installed, tried to clear out all the directories and it still immediately says package corrupted.

Any ideas?

A.

Use this link for the tool....
FAQ - FAQ - How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software? - Nokia - USA

Delete C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages folder
then try again.... make sure your phone is plugged in and unlocked
Reboot, PC and Phone.
May have to do a hard reset of the phone as well. This will wipe out all data on the phone.

Try disconnecting the phone, choose the option that the phone will not startup and follow instructions.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

Reboot, PC and Phone.
May have to do a hard reset of the phone as well. This will wipe out all data on the phone.

Try disconnecting the phone, choose the option that the phone will not startup and follow instructions.

For what it's worth, I did the same thing, chose the phone won't turn on option (no hard reset before), to get back to 8 but with the Software Updater for Retail. My reason was the random battery drain which was usually accompanied by the start screen hanging or "resuming" for a minute. I'm leery of trying 8.1 again until the OTA but today I saw a bunch of people saying unpinning Cortana's tile fixed the battery drain. Anyone with battery issues try that?

wintrmte

May 14, 2013
Visit site
My phone downloaded the update before I upgraded to WP8.1 but it appears I'm now stuck where I can't downgrade to 8.0. :( I'm getting the message that "Software package not available for this phone" in the Recovery tool

The recovery tool is reporting the version as 1028.3566.1417.0047 - Maybe Nokia doesn't have the firmware up yet for download?

Anyone else having this issue?

clavecinist

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
You may have to clear previous download data, but before that try selecting the option for a phone that doesn't power on. I was getting the same error but got it to go by turning my phone off and selecting that option.

danwanna

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I did the rollback, update, upgrade, hard reset dance tonight. I'm hopeful WiFi will transfer better between access points.

Last edited:

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
installing the new update did not improve battery life and it made it worse. there is not visible wifi improvement either

Do you mean it's not improved after upgrading again to 8.1? I rolled back and stayed at 8 after the update. Battery life is back to normal, maybe a little better.

drufranco

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
My reason was the random battery drain which was usually accompanied by the start screen hanging or "resuming" for a minute. I'm leery of trying 8.1 again until the OTA but today I saw a bunch of people saying unpinning Cortana's tile fixed the battery drain. Anyone with battery issues try that?

I have done this and so far so good though I wasn't using Cortana at all just had it pinned so weird glitch if that was the issue.
Before that mine would lock up when I unlocked the phone or it would hang and overheat and drain battery quite often and that was after doing a hard reset (I was just testing to see if the hard reset fixed any other minor issues I was having after the DP upgrade / I didn't do a restore installed all apps fresh on the hard reset) but it caused an unusable phone for the most part.

Other things that I did at the same time:
1. Removed / Rebooted and tested without the extras and info. No more lockups or overheating. After a bit reloaded extras and info and still had no issues.
2. Removed Perfect Battery. (I don't even see this in the store anymore on a search)
3. Installed Flashlight which gave me the battery number on the lock screen and home screen that I wanted from Perfect Battery plus a handy flashlight.

So now I am even using the built in battery saver which I never could use before because of the ongoing issues I was having.

Last edited:

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I finally got the time to do mines last night. Downgraded to 8, installed the new firmware from Verizon, installed 8.1 and then did a hard reset. I know my wifi range picked up because right before I did it I was frustrated standing on the back porch with limited wifi and it wouldn't bring up the web. My wife was next to me on her Kindle fire with only one bar missing from her wifi. Went out on the back porch after the process and had two bars and steady connection. Took a couple of hours but it was worth it.

danwanna

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I am seeing a huge improvement in my WiFi stability. Hand-offs between access points are now working for me and I am able to use WiFi in places where I previously had no bars and often "limited" (while other devices were fine).

The only downside for me is that I went back to having power button lag. I am considering doing another hard reset to see if it goes away.

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
After spending a few days with the update and 8.1 I can say definitively that stability is much improved. I used to have the wireless completely crash in some situations and require a reboot. No longer. Screen wake up is very much improved. I don't think I've had it not wake up, and only once or twice have I noticed it delay at all.

Reception might have been marginally improved, but it's not the biggest issue.

I don't like the arrow on the radio icons. It's distracting and unnecessary.

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

Reboot, PC and Phone.

I was able to remove the Program data folders with no issues but the same thing happened. My concern is what happens when you choose the "phone isn't working" option? Does it force the download?

A.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I was able to remove the Program data folders with no issues but the same thing happened. My concern is what happens when you choose the "phone isn't working" option? Does it force the download?

A.

At least with the Updater for Retail (vs. the Recovery Tool), choosing the phone isn't working option puts the phone into airplane mode for a few seconds and then it reboots and shows a Nokia screen that looks like it's part of the Updater, not the normal one you see during a restart. It then detects the phone and the process was the same as not choosing the won't work option.

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Anyone install today's new 8.1 build that had previously reverted to install the firmware and then re-updated to 8.1? Curious if I should even still worry about reverting if today's update fixes some of the issues...

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Anyone install today's new 8.1 build that had previously reverted to install the firmware and then re-updated to 8.1? Curious if I should even still worry about reverting if today's update fixes some of the issues...

Yes. I was having some issues so I reverted back to 8.0 this morning, then reinstalled 8.1 and the update to 8.1. Everything seems to be working fine. I didn't see a HUGE difference in the update, but I have only been running it for less that 12 hours so far.

I reverted back to 8.0 because, for some reason my hard reset and 8.1 I did a week ago was corrupted. I lost some functionality with Kid's Corner and other issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)